The Student Room Group

Is it just me who thinks Pirlo/Scholes are Overrated?

Scroll to see replies

Pirlo? World-class. Check out his free-kick vs England in the group stages. And watch any match that he plays in and you'll see what I'm talking about. He doesn't need to run around loads when he can play an inch perfect pass that will split the defence right down the middle. Oh and he's a pretty cool dude as well.
Reply 21
Sorry, do you mean Private Schools? :confused:

AKA PirCOOLo
So overrated they're beginning to become underrated on this forum :teehee:
Scholes = GOAT
yeah i do cringe a bit when i hear people say scholes is the best midfielder of his generation. xavi,iniesta and zidane are better
Reply 26
Original post by matthewduncan
yeah i do cringe a bit when i hear people say scholes is the best midfielder of his generation. xavi,iniesta and zidane are better

Xavi and iniesta can't touch either scholes or zidane.
Original post by samba
Xavi and iniesta can't touch either scholes or zidane.

see this is what i mean.
scholes has never ever been able impose himself or dominate the game like xavi and iniesta have. They have both set the world alight on the big stage in numerous occasions. Xavi and iniestas best excels scholes best.
Reply 28
This Pirlo love-in does my head in. The amount of time I've heard his name and "oozes class" in the same sentence over the past month has been unforgivable.
lol those Scholes quotes. Didn't Pele say Nicky Butt was the best player in the 2002 World Cup and that an African team would win a World Cup by 2010?
Original post by 29Bilal96
Pirlo? World-class. Check out his free-kick vs England in the group stages. And watch any match that he plays in and you'll see what I'm talking about. He doesn't need to run around loads when he can play an inch perfect pass that will split the defence right down the middle. Oh and he's a pretty cool dude as well.

yh the free kick that he didn't score yh
Original post by Wilfred Little
lol those Scholes quotes. Didn't Pele say Nicky Butt was the best player in the 2002 World Cup and that an African team would win a World Cup by 2010?

There is a quote that used to do the rounds from Guardiola that ''Walcott is the most dangerous player on earth'' or something to that effect
Johan Cruijff once said Kalou was the best talent to come out of Holland since him.

Anyone who thinks Scholes was even half as good as Zidane is either a Utd fan, which is excusable bias, or just likes the idea of a small, shy ginger from Salford being that good. Roy Keane was miles more effective than him as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
There is a quote that used to do the rounds from Guardiola that ''Walcott is the most dangerous player on earth'' or something to that effect
Johan Cruijff once said Kalou was the best talent to come out of Holland since him.

Anyone who thinks Scholes was even half as good as Zidane is either a Utd fan, which is excusable bias, or just likes the idea of a small, shy ginger from Salford being that good. Roy Keane was miles more effective than him as well.

Or Zidane himself..
Held in higher esteem than he should be because he is English and plays with a European style. Real talk.

Can argue against it all you like but that is why.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Or Zidane himself..

These quotes mean nothing, it is, or at least was, very fashionable to praise Scholes to the rafters.

Do you honestly believe that Scholes was better than Zidane?
[video="youtube;EDI7KxMpbGw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDI7KxMpbGw[/video]

das it
Original post by Zürich
These quotes mean nothing, it is, or at least was, very fashionable to praise Scholes to the rafters.

Do you honestly believe that Scholes was better than Zidane?

No. But do you honestly believe Scholes wasn't half as good as Zidane?
Zidane = Iniesta > Xavi = Scholes
I remember Ferguson said Mcleish would be a success at Villa as he was a top manager or some nonsense like that. Oh and then there was Moyes.

Those quotes don't really mean much. Probably just got pressed into commenting on English players by British journos tbh.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
No. But do you honestly believe Scholes wasn't half as good as Zidane?

How can you quantify something like that? Just take it as it was meant to be; a flippant comment.

If you were to ask most people who the top five greatest players ever are, Zidane would get a fair few mentions. You could ask for the top 100 and still not hear Scholes' name.

Quick Reply

Latest