The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by GandalfWhite
1751 applicants for 123 places in 2013 - one of the most competitive in LSE.
Go check Admissions Criteria for degree in LSE site.

Would you say AS grades matter more than Predicted?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 41
Original post by S6991

I'm starting BSc Management in September. I wasn't taking A-levels, however to be honest I believe that Personal Statement is the crucial thing and it could make up lots of cons in your application. Therefore I would suggest that you should start working on your PS straightaway as it is the thing that counts. AAB at A-levels is not a high requirement (especially when compared to some A*AA or AAA conditions for other degrees) so the only chance for you to 'impress' the admission selectors is a brilliant PS on which, I recommend, you should spend a lot of time - I was writing mine for a few months (I guess from September to very late December). This is your only opportunity to "sell" yourself.
Original post by S6991

AS grades help to verify the accuracy of Predicted grades given that half the marks of the final A2 grades are made up by AS marks. If you have high actual AS grades then the likelihood of achieving high predicted A2 grades are higher and therefore the predicted grades are reliable. Some have high predicted grades but low AS grades. Admissions tutors will base their evaluations on the AS grades and discount predicted grades that are unlikely to be attained. Hope that makes sense.
They say LSE considers GCSE results. What about those from countries who don't have GCSE? Do they want to look at your midlde school grades?
Applying for Actuarial Science at LSE for 2015, I got 8A*s and 3As at IGCSE. Currently studying IB, have predicted 777 at HL Maths, Econ and Physics, total predicted = 42. What are my chances?
Original post by InfiniteVelvet
Applying for Actuarial Science at LSE for 2015, I got 8A*s and 3As at IGCSE. Currently studying IB, have predicted 777 at HL Maths, Econ and Physics, total predicted = 42. What are my chances?

A good PS will get you the offer.
Original post by Arya J. Desai
Hi...i have just received my as level results and was thinking about applying to lse for law

in my igcse i got 6a* 2a 1b

maths- a*
physics- a*
chemistry- a*
biology- a*
accounts- a*
french- a*
english- a
pure maths- a
i.c.t- b

and in my as level i got 3a 3b

maths- a
physics- a
law- a
history- b
accounts- b
chemistry- b

however im going to resit accounts in january.

So i would like to know whether i have a good chance of getting into lse. I am not very worried about extra curricular activities and sports since i have plenty of accolades in those areas

any advice will be highly appreciated

how can you re-sit in January? Gove got rid of January re-takes...
Original post by p.formanko
how can you re-sit in January? Gove got rid of January re-takes...

Edexcel international a levels, you can still resit in jan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sellerofdreams
Edexcel international a levels, you can still resit in jan

Posted from TSR Mobile

damn. lucky buggers.
Original post by GandalfWhite
AS grades help to verify the accuracy of Predicted grades given that half the marks of the final A2 grades are made up by AS marks. If you have high actual AS grades then the likelihood of achieving high predicted A2 grades are higher and therefore the predicted grades are reliable. Some have high predicted grades but low AS grades. Admissions tutors will base their evaluations on the AS grades and discount predicted grades that are unlikely to be attained. Hope that makes sense.

I plan to apply LSE management and Warwick business. How can I include these two in my personal statement or are they closely related enough for me to just write a general business management personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mundeeeeee
I plan to apply LSE management and Warwick business. How can I include these two in my personal statement or are they closely related enough for me to just write a general business management personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are very closely related. Understanding management processes and acquiring / developing management skills helps one to manage businesses. Same can be said for relation between economics and management / business. So, one can write a PS that brings why you want to study economics, finance, marketing, etc which are part of both management and business courses - check out the actual core units and you will see both courses are very similar. Read the comments provided by LSE and Warwick about PS - they are extremely useful, esp the LSE ones which tell you what the Admissions Tutors are looking for. You must address the Admissions Tutors' requirements if you want to be considered for the course, otherwise, how else can they determine whether you are the one they should make an offer to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Assuming you meet the subjects and grades criteria, and that you are one of the strongest applicants in your cohort, then the PS is the only thing that sets you apart. Your PS must be able to communicate to the Admissions Tutor that you know what you are letting yourself in for, and why you have chosen to study that course. You have to be more convincing than the others in your cohort to get that offer. Good luck.
Hi...i have just received my as level results and was thinking about applying to lse for law

in my igcse i got 6a* 2a 1b

maths- a*
physics- a*
chemistry- a*
biology- a*
accounts- a*
french- a*
english- a
pure maths- a
i.c.t- b

and in my as level i got 3a 3b

maths- a
physics- a
law- a
history- b
accounts- b
chemistry- b

however im going to resit accounts in january.

So i would like to know whether i have a good chance of getting into lse. I am not very worried about extra curricular activities and sports since i have plenty of accolades in those areas

any advice will be highly appreciated

what about history and chemistry? are you continuing with all?
Original post by xyzmaster
what about history and chemistry? are you continuing with all?

NO...i am dropping chemistry and continuing with history...cuz i can easily resit chemistry and get an A since my percentage was 79.3%...i just missed an A by 2 marks
(edited 9 years ago)
NO...i am dropping chemistry and continuing with history...cuz i can easily resit chemistry and get an A since my percentage was 79.3%...i just missed an A by 2 marks

well LSE intake is normally based on 3 a2 subjects. and for law its A*AA and the A* doesn't have to be from law. so don't waste time doing something that is not needed and work on having all A*
Original post by xyzmaster
well LSE intake is normally based on 3 a2 subjects. and for law its A*AA and the A* doesn't have to be from law. so don't waste time doing something that is not needed and work on having all A*

in further maths i got an A ( I will resit c3 and c4 cuz my average was 88 and i can work to get an A*)
IN physics i got 83%
in chemistry 79.3%
law 85%
history 76%
accounting 77%
so what subjects do u suggest i should take at a2 level???
Going to Apply for environment and Development BSc.
I got AAAC at AS so will hopefully stand a good chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to apply to LSE for economics,but want to make sure it isn't a wasted application
At GCSE I got 9A*'s, 3A's and a C in Astronomy
At A-level I got AAAB
87.8 in Maths (C1-93, C2-96, S1-74)
90.3 in Biology
79 in Chemistry (Was one away from an A, but hopefully a remark is kind to me)
93.5 in Economics
- The average of my 3 best subjects would be 90.5
I'm also head boy at my school xD
My school didn't offer further maths last year, but this year they are, and I intend on picking up AS further maths
I've been to the Eton, UNIQ (Oxford), Cambridge, and LSE Summer Schools
The secondary school I went to and the sixth form I currently go to are considered 'deprived' and I am also an ethnic minority.

In light of this information, Is it worth applying to LSE for economics ?
I really need some help and advice
Original post by jayjay531
I want to apply to LSE for economics,but want to make sure it isn't a wasted application
At GCSE I got 9A*'s, 3A's and a C in Astronomy
At A-level I got AAAB
87.8 in Maths (C1-93, C2-96, S1-74)
90.3 in Biology
79 in Chemistry (Was one away from an A, but hopefully a remark is kind to me)
93.5 in Economics
- The average of my 3 best subjects would be 90.5
I'm also head boy at my school xD
My school didn't offer further maths last year, but this year they are, and I intend on picking up AS further maths
I've been to the Eton, UNIQ (Oxford), Cambridge, and LSE Summer Schools
The secondary school I went to and the sixth form I currently go to are considered 'deprived' and I am also an ethnic minority.

In light of this information, Is it worth applying to LSE for economics ?
I really need some help and advice

Short answer - Yes.

Long answer - There is no reason you shouldn't unless you think the B is going to affect things which it won't. Maybe drop Chem and pick up AS FM. LSE or any uni for that matter don't care about your ethnicity.
YOYOYO...I know LSE is super picky about PS, so here's some PS advice from a lady that used to work for LSE (she works in Imperial, but this was the only LSE related PS video I could find, and it seems pretty good IMHO)

[video="youtube;5jQ3MJgdkJY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jQ3MJgdkJY[/video]

OK everyone, have a nice day. May the animal spirits be with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending