The Student Room Group

Camp America in summer holiday? Yes or no?

I was thinking about doing the whole camp America thing in summer of next year but wanted to know how others got on with it first. It's ideal for me as I will be earning and doing the horse riding volunteer work, I also need to leave my horse alone for a few months in the field to finish off his training. So theoretically it should be perfect but am I better off just coming home rather than doing camp America?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KMUequine
I was thinking about doing the whole camp America thing in summer of next year but wanted to know how others got on with it first. It's ideal for me as I will be earning and doing the horse riding volunteer work, I also need to leave my horse alone for a few months in the field to finish off his training. So theoretically it should be perfect but am I better off just coming home rather than doing camp America?

I did it and the experience was like Marmite. I loved it but I had friends who went to different camps and hated it. It all comes down to the camp and I recommend searching for ideal camps first and making a request instead of entering the usual process where a random camp picks you out of hundreds of other people.

On the money side, by the time you take into account application process, flights and any hotels before or after your camp contract, the wage paid for the summer's work is usually little over the amount so in reality you will only be a a few hundred pounds better off. The experience is unbeatable but you won't get much money doing it.

Quick Reply

Latest