The Student Room Group

How does this sound?...

There's nothing more fun than delving into AS level maths and further maths until the last 2 weeks of this holiday (to avoid burnout). So, that gives me 12.5 days to cover each module before going into college. Do you reckon it is possible to get a C grade in each module in this time with examsolutions, a cgp book, m4ths and the modular books? I've already covered all of C1 near enough and a moderate amount of C2. I've started M1 and in 12 days hope to pass in a past paper. I've then got FP1, S1 to cover then as well as redoing C2.
Bear in mind I've already done Kinematics all today near enough.
If you could recommend any good resources please do.
Well to pass all you need is an E. And why are you doing all of this? Just do the work your sixth form have set you for entry into year 12. You are supposed to enjoy this summer and relax after GCSEs don't put extra work on yourself otherwise you will find next year increasingly harder as you never had the full break that everyone else did.
Reply 2
Original post by MathsMeister
There's nothing more fun than delving into AS level maths and further maths until the last 2 weeks of this holiday (to avoid burnout). So, that gives me 12.5 days to cover each module before going into college. Do you reckon it is possible to get a C grade in each module in this time.

Why are you aiming specifically at a C grade?

It's a pretty strange objective since you won't be taking any exams until next summer at the earliest!

Just do as much work as you feel comfortable with and take breaks when you need them. Then see how you get on when you start studying formally at college and aim for the best result you can.
Reply 3
Original post by davros
Why are you aiming specifically at a C grade?

Definitely not! I'd like an A in maths and further maths. And am willing to put in all the effort. But I've seen on TSR like 1,000,000 times not to go over 1 hour without a break. I'd just like to no whether it is possible- as it would help me a lot in my opinion having a huge head start with already a pass in 5 out of 7 modules. So if I could pull that off, then with a bit more work I'd essentially be passing 2 AS levels... see me now. My sis (veryveryvery clever- perfect AS/A2 scores in science) also said it would be a good idea as I have further maths. I also think i need this studying as I'm not as smart :/
Reply 4
Definitely not! I'd like an A in maths and further maths. And am willing to put in all the effort. But I've seen on TSR like 1,000,000 times not to go over 1 hour without a break. I'd just like to no whether it is possible- as it would help me a lot in my opinion having a huge head start with already a pass in 5 out of 7 modules.

But you won't "have a pass" until you've actually sat the exams, which will be next summer!

By all means have a look at the material in advance if you want to, but don't get fixated on setting yourself targets until you've had a go at some of it and found out whether you enjoy it or not!!
Reply 5
AS maths= 3 modules= 3 unseen papers in exam conditions+ the set time+ equipment...When I'm extremely confident at the modules.:confused:
Unseen past papers are just as good as upcoming exams are they not?
a huge head start with already a pass in 5 out of 7 modules.

2 things. A pass at A Level is an E not a C so why the C target if you only want to go in with a pass? And I would hope you made a typo because if you can't add up to 6 I would strongly suggest you don't do maths let alone further maths.
Reply 7
C1 and C2 you can pass within a few days if you are good at maths (which it seems like you are).
S1 is the same, very easy to learn quickly.
FP1 is harder, but isn't too difficult to learn. It will take much longer than the other modules, but you'll still have more than enough time.

Not done M1 so I can't comment on that, but I'm sure you'll be able to learn that to a decent standard in time too.
Reply 8
I've got through M1 in about a week of not too intense work. Kinematics is basically formula plugging, and vectors are similar. Dynamics and moments are tougher but still not too hard - diagrams are definitely the way to go. Equilibrium isn't too bad either if you use diagrams.

As has been said, people who are doing Further Maths are the people who find maths so fun that they will gladly spend a summer doing it. Feel free to do it but don't put yourself under any duress. You'll be able to fill in the gaps next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am still wondering what you will be doing in lessons for the whole year is you have self taught most of the spec already. Personally I would have purchases a book that bridges the gap between GCSE and AS instead. Year 11 holiday you should be relaxing :tongue:
I am so incredibly sorry, I meant 5/6 modules- Oops my bad..
I knew a pass is an E, but I was going to bed and when writing this was on strong sleeping pills so wasn't thinking properly. Maths is so fun for me that I can never get bored of it, and plus, there is nothing else to do other than play Skyrim (which bores me) or sport (which I will) and go out on trips when my parent/s decide. I am very capable at maths and C1 took a weekend to learn near enough. Maths is fun for me, and relaxing. No better way to spend it. I know to not go 1 hour+ without a break and not overdo it.

Quick Reply

Latest