The Student Room Group

What type of books should I read to mention in my personal statement?

Would it be better to read about general books talking about the life of a doctor or ones that go more in depth into one type of branch?

Also, is it essiential or does work experience/voluntary work overtake it considerably?
Don't mention books in your ps. There are more valuable things to put into it. Plus you run the risk of being quizzed on the book if you get an interview. There are plenty of threads around, asking this question, if you want an idea of books to read generally, but don't do it just for your ps.
Lord of the rings, Hobbit, Harry Potter, Twilight.

Shows you're not a hipster
Reply 3
Look at example personal statements for Medicine: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:Medicine_Personal_Statements
Try not to say generic words or phrases like "passionate" or "ever since I was young" etc. Take a look at those examples and you'll see that the best ones don't use clichés, even when talking about their experiences in hospital placements etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Sycopation
Would it be better to read about general books talking about the life of a doctor or ones that go more in depth into one type of branch?

Also, is it essiential or does work experience/voluntary work overtake it considerably?

Original post by Amyk89
Don't mention books in your ps. There are more valuable things to put into it. Plus you run the risk of being quizzed on the book if you get an interview. There are plenty of threads around, asking this question, if you want an idea of books to read generally, but don't do it just for your ps.

I would disagree putting in a book is perfectly good but don't read it just for the PS. I mentioned one in my PS and my PS was what got me an interview at sheffield ( PS heavy Uni) so it isn't a Definitely don't., but obviously other sections of the PS were probably more important. Obviously doing some reading is really useful, I mentioned Oliver Sacks' The man who mistook his wife for a hat' in my ps because it was one of the many books I had read but the only one that tied into one of my WE placements; neurosurgery.

At my two interviews I was never asked directly about the book, but you should prepare for it. I did and then actually used bits I prepared for the book and cross referenced it whilst answering other questions.

So if you really want to add a book- I would be careful about forcing it though- try one that directly relates to something you saw on WE/ expect to see on a upcoming placement.

Short answer WE and voluntary work are in my opinion the most important part of the PS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending