The Student Room Group

Nottingham GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Hello everyone,

I might be slightly early, but thought it would be a good idea to set-up a thread for all applicants looking to apply to the Nottingham GEM programme this October!

Over the next few months, I am sure the discussion will be largely just everyone introducing themselves. So, I think I will start off!:

I am a pre-registration pharmacist :smile: I am quite fortunate in that I have already sat my GAMSAT, however that just means I have more time to worry about interviews! So, I will soon be getting loads of strange looks when practicing in front of my mirror with a hairbrush...

I will be looking to keep this post updated with any recent news and updates that arise over the course of the admissions process. I will try very hard to keep this up-to-date myself, but may need prompting by anyone who spots anything looking a bit outdated!

Also, if you're thinking this looks strangely similar to another thread you've seen... you would be right! Please visit my other threads if you are looking to meet other TSR members applying for the following medical schools:

St. George's UoL GEM (A101) Applicants 2015: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2734790
Swansea GEM (A101) Applicants 2015: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2734794
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - Admissions News and Updates - -

Last updated: 17th November 2014
Latest news: "GAMSAT results due out over next few days. Good luck everyone!"

UCAS Applications: Closed
Interview Dates: To be confirmed.
Interview Outcomes Released: To be confirmed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - Frequently Asked Questions - -

Q: When will my GAMSAT results be released?
A: Over the past few years, results have been released exactly 2 months and one day after the exam was sat at approximately 5.30-6am via an email to the email address that the applicant registered with ACER (so there is no need to keep checking the ACER website - which appears to offer limited updates on this anyway). If this is the case again this year, we would expect the results to be released on the morning of Tuesday 18th September. However, this is not guaranteed and the date may fluctuate.

Q: How will I receive my results and what are the next steps?
A: Within the email (see above), you will be prompted to log into the ACER website to obtain your results. Once logged in, you will be able to view your overall score for each section and a table to allow you to calculate your percentile. The university will then inform you if you have successfully met their cut-off score that year and offer you an interview. This may take up to a few weeks depending on the university.

Past cut-off scores are normally readily obtained through their website (although small changes may occur each year depending on the cohort). This will frequently involve a cut-off for each individual section (which is not cohort dependent) and then an overall score cut-off which is cohort dependent. This means that all applicants who meet the application requirements alongside the individual GAMSAT cut-offs are then ranked based off their overall scores and the university will select the top ranking candidates for interview. This may be, for instance, the top 300 if there are only 300 interview places available. Please note that individual universities may also limit the number of places for graduates and hence this figure may also be subject to additional quotas.

Nottingham cut-offs for 2013 (may not be equivalent for 2014; see above):

Individual sections: At least 55 in section II, 55 in either I or III, and then 50 in the remaining section.
Overall: 59 (Offering a 2.1 degree and above) or 64 (Offering a 2.2 degree)

Nottingham cut-offs for 2014:

Individual sections: At least 55 in section II, 55 in either I or III, and then 50 in the remaining section.
Overall: No data available.

Please note: This information has been collated from individuals and has not been confirmed by the institution. Although we can peer review additions to some extent, please do not use this information to make decisions on your UCAS application as it may be inaccurate.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I will also be applying to Nottingham GEM this year. Like yourself, I also already have my GAMSAT score so pressure is off until interviews come around. I went to the open day last year and Nottingham is definitely my first choice.

What is your work experience like? I hear Nottingham gives a questionnaire to those who achieve above the GAMSAT cut-off and use that to shortlist for interview if adequate.
Reply 2
Heya guys,

I'm also applying this year and I also have my GAMSAT score already :smile: I've been waiting for one of these threads to turn up.
Reply 3
Hey WKRich and M150 :smile:

I'm just pleased someone posted...! :tongue:

I am not hugely clued-up on the work experience requirements at the short-listing stage. However, as work experience is famously subjective (i.e. what you get out of it), I am sure there is nothing to be worried about provided you have at least some experience in a healthcare-related field (?). Otherwise, I imagine it would be difficult to prove you have adequate insight into medicine. I presume this stage in the process is simply to filter any applicants who clearly have not gained this insight. That would be my advice... but it's worth very little - considering how I'm not an Admissions Tutor!

However, I have heard someone mention that an email was sent out to applicants last year saying that their work experience had been "scored" prior to being offered an interview. What this scoring process is, how far the result extends into the application process, and what weighting it has is completely unbeknown to me. Not sure if anyone can clear some of this up? By the way, I am new to TSR, so if I do venture into discussing something 'not-to-be-discussed'... then let me know! I don't mean to!

I too went to an Open Day in March (this year) and loved it! They really seemed organised and the tutorials in the afternoon were really enjoyable! By the second or third tutorial, I just felt so relaxed and that I could ask anything! It is rare for a university to make you feel that way in one day. I really see myself enjoying it there! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi all,

Will be sitting GAMSAT this Sept and Nottingham is definitely first choice as it stands. Loved the site, they all seemed pretty organised and I do like how transparent they are.
However, preparation for GAMSAT has come to a grinding halt. Need more time in the day!

With regards to interview invite/work experience. They have a set cut off for GAMSAT scores and then a questionnaire is sent out for work experience around December time I believe. I think they do have a minimum amount/quality they require, though it is still somewhat subjective.
Speaking to Prof. Garrud, they want the equivalent of ~4 months full time direct patient contact specifically mentioning HCA work. Now that's obviously not possible for everyone, but if you'd been volunteering twice a week for a year I imagine it'd be fine. Though he did seem to favour HCA work, I think most schools do to an extent, I got the impression other roles are fine as long as you can get similar insights and experiences i.e. patient contact, multidisciplinary team, healthcare system insights etc.
Finally, talking to a few of the students I think the least experience any had was 4 months HCA full time, so the above seems pretty accurate.
Reply 5
Hi thought I would join this thread as I am also applying to Notts this year and it’s my first choice. Unfortunately I still have to sit the GAMSAT this year so won’t get to enjoy the summer.

I’m also worried about the work experience criteria as when looked at quantitatively it probably doesn’t like much. Last year, I volunteered with the Riding with the Disabled every Saturday for 3 months. Currently I volunteer with the Alzheimer’s society one Tuesday afternoon a month at their Singing for the Brain groups and I am also an active Red Cross first aider. I also have 3 days of shadowing at a hospital. However I think each of those elements have given something different and when combined with my current full time job (engineer), I think this gives me the qualities they are looking for. But if they are looking for something like 4 months full time HCA work, I’m not sure mine will stand up :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Zorg
Hi all,

Will be sitting GAMSAT this Sept and Nottingham is definitely first choice as it stands. Loved the site, they all seemed pretty organised and I do like how transparent they are.
However, preparation for GAMSAT has come to a grinding halt. Need more time in the day!

With regards to interview invite/work experience. They have a set cut off for GAMSAT scores and then a questionnaire is sent out for work experience around December time I believe. I think they do have a minimum amount/quality they require, though it is still somewhat subjective.
Speaking to Prof. Garrud, they want the equivalent of ~4 months full time direct patient contact specifically mentioning HCA work. Now that's obviously not possible for everyone, but if you'd been volunteering twice a week for a year I imagine it'd be fine. Though he did seem to favour HCA work, I think most schools do to an extent, I got the impression other roles are fine as long as you can get similar insights and experiences i.e. patient contact, multidisciplinary team, healthcare system insights etc.
Finally, talking to a few of the students I think the least experience any had was 4 months HCA full time, so the above seems pretty accurate.

Now that is worrying. 4 months full time is a vast amount when you consider how little HCAs earn and how much medical school costs. The only way I would be able to afford to live on that wage would be to live at home with my parents which I did for a while but I really struggled with losing my friends and independence. It's no longer an option as my nephew now has my bedroom. Plus if I did that then I still wouldn't have the disposable income to be able to save for the tuition fees.

I was under the impression that what they wanted you to demonstrate from your work experience was an insight into what the role of a doctor is, as well as commitment to a career in medicine. My longest work experience is also unfortunately my oldest and I suspect they won't be interested in it.
Reply 7
Original post by M150
Now that is worrying. 4 months full time is a vast amount when you consider how little HCAs earn and how much medical school costs. The only way I would be able to afford to live on that wage would be to live at home with my parents which I did for a while but I really struggled with losing my friends and independence. It's no longer an option as my nephew now has my bedroom. Plus if I did that then I still wouldn't have the disposable income to be able to save for the tuition fees.

I was under the impression that what they wanted you to demonstrate from your work experience was an insight into what the role of a doctor is, as well as commitment to a career in medicine. My longest work experience is also unfortunately my oldest and I suspect they won't be interested in it.

Nottingham do at least offer a bursary up to £3000 though, that should go some way to help with tuition fees.
I think the 4 months was a standard to be able to equate other experiences to. So if you only do a couple of days per week but do it over a 12 month period, it is more or less the same.
I don't think it was intended as a bare minimum, but more as a yard stick to measure the kind of experience they would like.
Reply 8
I will have had 6 months experience as a pre-registration pharmacist by then, a number of placements across other hospitals last summer, and some GP experience this summer (as I had only experienced hospital in the past - and I really enjoyed general practice!). I have had further placements in the past but these were outside of the last 18 months I believe Nottingham are looking for. I am looking for a more hands-on placement this year (as this is something pharmacists rarely do, admittedly!)... so I have applied to volunteer with St. John's Ambulance. If I cannot find a role, I will volunteer at a local care home. However, depending on events with SJA, I am hoping to fit both in! I actually cannot wait to start these! I think I am looking forward to my work experience more than my pharmacist job!
Reply 9
Original post by Zorg
Nottingham do at least offer a bursary up to £3000 though, that should go some way to help with tuition fees.
I think the 4 months was a standard to be able to equate other experiences to. So if you only do a couple of days per week but do it over a 12 month period, it is more or less the same.
I don't think it was intended as a bare minimum, but more as a yard stick to measure the kind of experience they would like.

Are these offered on the GEM course? I spoke to Imperial and their bursaries are not available for graduates :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by MiloMilo
Are these offered on the GEM course? I spoke to Imperial and their bursaries are not available for graduates :frown:

I think it depends on the uni. Swansea would one minute say you are technically an undergraduate student as it is an undergraduate course, but you are not eligible for any undergraduate funding.
At the Notts open day the speaker from the finance department said we would be eligible for the bursary as graduate medical students.
Might be worth firing off an email to be sure/put your mind at ease. But I'm pretty certain she said that.
Reply 11
Original post by Zorg
I think it depends on the uni. Swansea would one minute say you are technically an undergraduate student as it is an undergraduate course, but you are not eligible for any undergraduate funding.
At the Notts open day the speaker from the finance department said we would be eligible for the bursary as graduate medical students.
Might be worth firing off an email to be sure/put your mind at ease. But I'm pretty certain she said that.

It makes no difference to my choice of university to be honest. Although, I can see how this might be important for someone not looking to take out another student loan. I would be interested to know the outcome of this if anyone does inquire and will add it to the News and Updates section so others know too.
Hey, thought I would come and join this thread! It's all starting to feel very real now.
I am an arts grad (languages) and am yet to take the GAMSAT...fatigue is hitting now after 2 solid months of prep since finishing finals, while juggling work exp, volunteering and my job. Getting pretty nervous now about how much I still have to learn...GAMSAT is getting so close now.
I absolutely loved Nottingham at the open day, although it was a shame to not have been able to see the Derby site. I think I actually fell in love with Nottingham at a talk at the RSM about graduate entry medicine...now just to get that GAMSAT score!
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to TSR :cool:

I'm planning on applying to Nottingham GEP 2015 too! Nottingham is one of my top choices too so I'm pretty excited about getting the process started!
Reply 14
Original post by buttoned.up
Hey, thought I would come and join this thread! It's all starting to feel very real now.
I am an arts grad (languages) and am yet to take the GAMSAT...fatigue is hitting now after 2 solid months of prep since finishing finals, while juggling work exp, volunteering and my job. Getting pretty nervous now about how much I still have to learn...GAMSAT is getting so close now.
I absolutely loved Nottingham at the open day, although it was a shame to not have been able to see the Derby site. I think I actually fell in love with Nottingham at a talk at the RSM about graduate entry medicine...now just to get that GAMSAT score!

I know what you mean! Joining the TSR thread feels like a binding contract! :tongue:

Sounds like you've done a lot of prep. I did about a month's revision but I had done a science-related degree. I really wouldn't worry though, you will be fine! You can only do so much...!
Original post by MiloMilo
I know what you mean! Joining the TSR thread feels like a binding contract! :tongue:

Sounds like you've done a lot of prep. I did about a month's revision but I had done a science-related degree. I really wouldn't worry though, you will be fine! You can only do so much...!

I have a looooot left to do...I didn't do any science a-levels so the last time I did any science was 6 years ago at GCSE. My A-Levels were English Lit, Maths, French, German and Italian...some of the chem I've been doing feels a bit like learning a whole new language haha! Do you have any tips on good resources for GAMSAT?
Reply 16
Original post by buttoned.up
I have a looooot left to do...I didn't do any science a-levels so the last time I did any science was 6 years ago at GCSE. My A-Levels were English Lit, Maths, French, German and Italian...some of the chem I've been doing feels a bit like learning a whole new language haha! Do you have any tips on good resources for GAMSAT?

2/3 sections are Arts based... Don't be too disheartened with your lack of science background!

I dug out an 06 Biology book from under my sister's bed... Although it'd seen better days, it did the trick! I bought Chemistry and Physics A/AS Level Revision books from Waterstones and just got through them. I was familiar with a few topics but it was like starting from scratch really! A Level is rather easy when you're 23!

My only tip would be that it definitely isn't necessary to fork out £300 on that Gold Standard nonsense. However, any money spent now is an investment if it gets you through that door..!
I fell in love with notttingham at the RSM event too, I'm going to Nottingham's GEM Open day in October. Is anyone else going??
Original post by M150

I've had to move home having just graduated and OH GOD, it the complete nightmare I remember it being during school. You immediately become the subordinate again, no differentiation between the way 11 year old me got treated and 22 year old me gets treated. HEAD.ACHE.

However, I'm here for free and that's valuable enough for me to have to just tough it out. Regarding HCA work and pay. It's not all that bad. I've applied for about 20 HCA roles over the past 2 weeks ranging from £6-8 an hour which isn't brilliant but not too bad, around £900 a month after tax. Try looking for roles which involve social/personal care but are slightly better paying and not technically "HCA" positions. I've applied for a support worker role working full time with kids 15-18y/o who have learning and behavioural difficulties which is £11.50 an hour and 38 hours a week. Thats substantially more than most HCA positions. It's obviously not "HEALTH CARE" but it involves a large amount of personal care and supervision including the sort of work HCAs would carry out in a home (helping to shower, toilet, mobility etc) so is generally transferable.
Reply 19
Does anyone have information on the way GAMSAT is used during the interview process. Flicking through last years thread, it seems people were of the opinion it had a weighting alongside interview score as to whether or not you got an offer. Can anyone enlighten us?

Quick Reply