The Student Room Group

Took some change from work? Dont know what to do??Will I be arrested??

Scroll to see replies

Hmm depends on if they want to investigate it, where I work more than one person could have used a till in the day, so it makes it more awkward (though they have a fantastic joint enterprise-esque system... :rolleyes:). If they know for a fact it must have been on your watch, they might investigate, but for £3, I'd imagine they won't. They'll probably note it down for future reference and not discuss it with you, for us action wouldn't happen unless it was £5+ on the first occasion.
Original post by katehlouise
The problem is that he did it in the first place.

Yeah but hes a naive 16 year old, he needs to learn **** and now hes learnt something, hes giving it back ffs. OP made a dick move but at least hes trying to fix it.
Original post by Carterj09
i was using the correct definitions of words because everyone here is misusing them. However its still a theft.

But you seem to have the misconception that small thefts will lead to him becoming a bank robber, get real.

Its
pound

pound

Hes giving it back, he took it in a moment of stupidity, its a harmless crime thats going to be fixed tomorrow, dont be a douche.

I bet you're someone who steals stuff everyday, just sits on his PC and pretends to be a goody boy.
Ever watched a movie online without paying?
Theft.
Bet you haven't committed any theft.

I understand that he didn't mean any harm by it. However, companies take this seriously. It has been said that Theft can be a gateway crime which will lead to murder.

I hope they go easy on you.
Yeah but hes a naive 16 year old, he needs to learn **** and now hes learnt something, hes giving it back ffs. OP made a dick move but at least hes trying to fix it.

He's 16, so what? At that age you're old enough to know right from wrong.
Original post by rileystringer
I understand that he didn't mean any harm by it. However, companies take this seriously. It has been said that Theft can be a gateway crime which will lead to murder.

I hope they go easy on you.

Theft is a gateway crime to murder? ahahahah funniest thing ive heard all day.

OP you better lock yourself up before you kill your mum or something LOOOOOOL

I see riley deftly avoided my question about him thieving over the internet.
Hypocrite.
Original post by katehlouise
He's 16, so what? At that age you're old enough to know right from wrong.

****ing hell, some people including me are quite naive when it comes to things, people need time to mature.
(edited 9 years ago)
If they find out they will fire you.

Doubt anything else will happen since it's only £3
Theft is a gateway crime to murder? ahahahah funniest thing ive heard all day.

OP you better lock yourself up before you kill your mum or something LOOOOOOL

I see riley deftly avoided my question about him thieving over the internet.
Hypocrite.

I don't watch movies online because that would be sad lmaoo, I leave the house and go to the cinema if I want to see a film. but if downloading movies online and watching them alone is something which interests others then I respect it aha

If, in the future, I come across anyone else who I suspect to be stealing I will report them too. Had I of seen the OP do this in person I would have made a citizens arrest on him
Original post by rileystringer
I don't watch movies online because that would be sad lmaoo, I leave the house and go to the cinema if I want to see a film. but if downloading movies online and watching them alone is something which interests others then I respect it aha

If, in the future, I come across anyone else who I suspect to be stealing I will report them too. Had I of seen the OP do this in person I would have made a citizens arrest on him

Well if you're illegally downloading movies online i better call da cops, 5k fine coming your way.
You respect crime? Ok.

OOSH hard man riley comes in for the save!

HES NOT THE HERO WE NEED, HES THE HERO WE DESERVE *SALUTE
Reply 29
****ing hell, some people including me are quite naive when it comes to things, people need time to mature, come out from your hole into the real world

You're talking about the real world, when you're trying to use OP's "young" age as justification for theft. He's 16, not a new-born. Common sense and employee guidelines should tell you that under no certain circumstances do you steal from the till. In the "real world" OP would be reprimanded. In the "real world" he may even be fired and unable to work in future stores. Don't pretend everything will be fine if the OP gets caught, because it wont be. Managers won't give a **** about your age. At the end of the day, you're an employee who stole.
Original post by Tai Ga
You're talking about the real world, when you're trying to use OP's "young" age as justification for theft. He's 16, not a new-born. Common sense and employee guidelines should tell you that under no certain circumstances do you steal from the till. In the "real world" OP would be reprimanded. In the "real world" he may even be fired and unable to work in future stores. Don't pretend everything will be fine if the OP gets caught, because it wont be. Managers won't give a **** about your age. At the end of the day, you're an employee who stole.

I never said he would be fine if they caught him, i mentioned the exact opposite, i know a girl who took a drink at KFC (from the coke machine) because she was about to faint and they fired her on the spot
Reply 31
Original post by letsbehonest
If they find out they will fire you.

Doubt anything else will happen since it's only £3

do you believe they'll find out as several people were on the till that day i think?
They would probably fire you and call the police...a girl got caught stealing from the till when I worked at Waitrose, police came and she was sacked on the spot.
Original post by bobrose1
do you believe they'll find out as several people were on the till that day i think?

If they bother checking cameras, then yes.

How many days ago was this?

If it was over a week ago I doubt they have done anything about it..
Reply 34
Original post by letsbehonest
If they bother checking cameras, then yes.

How many days ago was this?

If it was over a week ago I doubt they have done anything about it..

3 days ago and ive seen the manager since. But because its such a small amount and marble is such a busy store and loads of people were logging on/off different tills i dont know if it has been or ever will be addressed.Based on this information would you say i have avoided punishment? btw not even a penny of this will happen again-gods truth
3 days ago and ive seen the manager since. But because its such a small amount and marble is such a busy store and loads of people were logging on/off different tills i dont know if it has been or ever will be addressed.Based on this information would you say i have avoided punishment? btw not even a penny of this will happen again-gods truth

Give it a few more days.. I think you're safe lol
Reply 36
Tell them immediately. The longer you say nothing the worse it will get.

They may be lenient with you if confess; if you don't and they still find out then you'll be in trouble.
Reply 37
I recently started a job at Argos and the other day I honestly lost a a couple of quid somewhere in the vicinity. Only when I went to lunch I released that I only had my £2 coin and not the other 3 pounds. So yesterday i just took £3 in change from the till whilst doing a transaction. i now feel awful even though its small amount. Nothing was said but will they know £3 is gone at the end of the week or should I just never do it again? Please respond ASAP as Im quite panicky. Im only 16,this is my first job i dont want to be fired!!

Don't tell them!! Say you gave the wrong change to someone if you ask about it lol.
Although its the morally right thing to tell them. You must think if it really means that much to you, is it worth losing your job for?

Think of it from their point of view. You've stolen from them, for not a very good reason. You feel guilty and confessed. What if next time you steal you don't feel guilty?
You're just getting yourself into more trouble by confessing
Original post by Juno
It doesn't matter how old you are. If you're old enough to have a job you should be old enough to know not to steal. If you don't know that, they can't trust you. I've worked in retail management, and if any of my employees stole and said it was because they were just 16, I'd tell them to **** off. That isn't an excuse. And if you strongly believe it is then you're being cruel to the OP - you're giving someone who you believe to be naive false hope.

Strange you insinuate that I think age is an 'excuse' - I didn't say that at all. I made it pretty clear that what they did was wrong. It's been a long time since I was 16 so to me they are just a child - but within the eyes of the law, yes, they've committed a crime and would usually be reprimanded. I just know that in some workplaces some management would be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt due to their lack of experience - I wasn't saying whether that was right or wrong - just that it happens.
Reply 39

Do NOT go and tell them you took the money and do NOT try to put the money back in the till - they will most likely have put it down to you making a minor cock-up in change or similar and if the till happens to magically be £3 up (it won't go back to being balanced like nothing happened, they will note that it's now £3 up) it'll be even worse - it'll either draw attention to you and make them check security tapes or ask you about it and they'll find out you stole money, or they'll just think you're a liability, throwing the till off by several pounds all the time with silly mistakes.

Never do it again, and stop being so stupid! This is not a game, this is not school where you'll get told off and then everything will be ok. It's a job. Do not jeopardise your record for a stupid mistake you've now learned from. Just leave it. If they seem to be onto you, play stupid. Getting fired for doing something really stupid (thinking you could walk off and change some change from your wallet, then forgetting to put the change back, I dunno) is infinitely better than getting fired for stealing. These people may well be your referee for future jobs. Do not get caught for stealing.

Quick Reply