The Student Room Group

Should I even apply this year...?

My situation is as follows:

I have done badly in my AS exams (I estimate ACDD) and do not feel like I can make a competitive application this year. Should I apply for medicine this year anyway, to familiarise myself with the UCAS process (as I won't have the same school support if I apply next year) and also have a go at the UKCAT.

OR should I just focus my efforts on A2 exams/gaining work experience this autumn and apply next year with a better application.

Also, does the amount of times you apply for medicine affect what the admissions tutors/universities think of you as an applicant? Will they even know - is it stated how many times you have applied on UCAS?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you in advance! :smile:
Reply 1
No point applying without AAA prediction... So wait til results day you could shock yourself and then talk to your teachers about what they would predict you.

Either way you have to eventually get the AAA so make sure this is you're priority for year 13. You could take the ukcat I think some people who do it twice most of the time do better the second time around but it will cost you.

Careful if you decide to apply with the attitude of like a practise run. Some medical schools do not allows re applications the following year after rejection post and pre interview I think. Also some unis don't accept applications if you didn't apply in the first cycle- this maybe wrong go check it.

Learn from your experiences so that you do better next year with studying and revision to make sure you get the AAA. Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by t()m
No point applying without AAA prediction... So wait til results day you could shock yourself and then talk to your teachers about what they would predict you.

Either way you have to eventually get the AAA so make sure this is you're priority for year 13. You could take the ukcat I think some people who do it twice most of the time do better the second time around but it will cost you.

Careful if you decide to apply with the attitude of like a practise run. Some medical schools do not allows re applications the following year after rejection post and pre interview I think. Also some unis don't accept applications if you didn't apply in the first cycle- this maybe wrong go check it.

Learn from your experiences so that you do better next year with studying and revision to make sure you get the AAA. Good luck

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it greatly.

Do you know which universities have those policies? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by zircona

You'll have to ask the individual medical schools. I know that if you get rejected post interview from a uni they wont give you an interview the next year. As far as applications, for dentistry I know if you get an offer from manchester but miss the offer, you can get in the next year as long as you get A*AA.
Reply 4
Original post by zircona

Not on the top off my head... Why don't you act like you will being applying and results day goes better than you think. Then As part of choosing your unis make sure you check:smile: good luck for results day . I am so nervous
Reply 5
If anyone in the Kent area needs help with their medical applications, from personal statement to bmat, send me a message, i can help out. I got into Imperial, UCL and St Barts last year. Me and my colleague are also running an interview course in Kent.
Reply 6
Original post by t()m
Not on the top off my head... Why don't you act like you will being applying and results day goes better than you think. Then As part of choosing your unis make sure you check:smile: good luck for results day . I am so nervous

Probably a good idea. I know, just a few more weeks left :K:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending