The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Gym Facilities?

Hi guys. Firm applicant for 2014/15 year here, arriving in late September. Just want to know what the gym facilities at warwick are like. I've heard they're cheap (100 for a year) but get very overcrowded in the evenings.

I'm beginning to get into powerlifting, and i'm looking to compete once I get my numbers up. I like to focus on squatting, overhead pressing, bench pressing, and eventually deadlifting. I was wondering what the facilities for each of these are like throughout the day?

I'd like to be able to go to the gym 4 times a week. Anyone with experience?
Reply 1
I personally have never used the gym on campus as I found it was pricey compared to SimplyGym at Canon Park (where Tesco is). It's anything from a 5 - 25 minute walk depending where you live on campus (5 from Westwood and 25 from Lakeside/Heronbank/Sherbourne) and only £16.99 per month for unlimited use of all the facilities and its classes. I have found it to be absolutely fantastic value for money and highly recommend it to any student living on campus.
During the day it is relatively quiet, I very rarely have to wait around to use something. Inevitably, it gets busier in the evening. There is a room specifically for weights/lifting which sounds ideal for you.
http://www.simplygym.co.uk/gyms/coventry/
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
The uni gym is dog****e. I found that as a 'powerlifter' myself that simplygym was sufficient for all my needs.
I don't rate the uni gym at all. The weight-training area is too small and too busy.
Reply 4
Original post by Webbykun
The uni gym is dog****e. I found that as a 'powerlifter' myself that simplygym was sufficient for all my needs.

Edit; misread your reply.

Thanks a lot pal. Simply gym was seconded by another poster. I'll definitely be looking into this. Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Jet.
I personally have never used the gym on campus as I found it was pricey compared to SimplyGym at Canon Park (where Tesco is). It's anything from a 5 - 25 minute walk depending where you live on campus (5 from Westwood and 25 from Lakeside/Heronbank/Sherbourne) and only £16.99 per month for unlimited use of all the facilities and its classes. I have found it to be absolutely fantastic value for money and highly recommend it to any student living on campus.
During the day it is relatively quiet, I very rarely have to wait around to use something. Inevitably, it gets busier in the evening. There is a room specifically for weights/lifting which sounds ideal for you.
http://www.simplygym.co.uk/gyms/coventry/

My top two accomodation applications were for Whitefields and Westwood. I think Whitefields is on the opposite side of campus. A 25 minute walk doesnt sound too bad at all though.

What is the Uni Gym's pricing, and as for SimplyGym would it be fine for me?

Thanks for the reply mate
Reply 6
The uni gym is under-equipped for the number of people it's appealing to. But if you go early morning or midday it's normally fairly free. Evenings are horrendous and some mornings can be bad. The equipment is better quality than SimplyGym but the latter is probably less crowded.
Reply 7
I personally used the Uni gym for the year and didn't really have an issue with it. I used to go early when it was quiet then on to a lecture or library or whatever. It's £135 I think, for the year, and I tended to go a couple times a week.

Simply is also good, but there always seemed to be something out of order when I was there (to be fair, I went only about three times in the year). It was also always busier than the Uni gym, which is funny considering what above posters said. I think it depends a lot on when you go.

But, as people said, Simply is cheap and that's a pretty compelling factor lol. There are separate rooms too and it is certainly bigger than the Uni gym.
Reply 8
I emailed the people at the gym, because I want to both go to the gym and join sports clubs ( cricket and american football) and they told me in order to do both. I would have to pay £198 ( cost of gym package) plus another £30 in order to be allowed to join clubs and then another £6 for each sports club I join.
Reply 9
Original post by Hore5417
I emailed the people at the gym, because I want to both go to the gym and join sports clubs ( cricket and american football) and they told me in order to do both. I would have to pay £198 ( cost of gym package) plus another £30 in order to be allowed to join clubs and then another £6 for each sports club I join.

Yeah I've been told that too mate and it sounds a bit ridiculous. I want to be able to go to the gym and play rugby but I'm not looking to spend £230 in the first two weeks to do that! I'll likely have to sign up to simplygym and pay the separate fee for the rugby.
Reply 10
Original post by Webbykun

Just thought I'd check pal - Simplygym definitely DOES have a squat rack, olympic bars, a straight bench press, and 45lb (20kg) plates? Those are pretty much my criteria for joining, but I looked on their website and all of their pictures are of cardio machines.
I think I am going to sign for the Coventry gym centre, anyone accompanies? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Clayton7777
Just thought I'd check pal - Simplygym definitely DOES have a squat rack, olympic bars, a straight bench press, and 45lb (20kg) plates? Those are pretty much my criteria for joining, but I looked on their website and all of their pictures are of cardio machines.

Yeah it's got all of that. It has multiple rooms and they've just taken a lot of photos of their main room upstairs with all the machines. Downstairs is a free weights area with the racks and whatever.
I'm also interested in the state of the campus gym. Do you have to have a gym membership to take part in most sports clubs? If so then I may just use the campus gym for the first year and work around the times when it's busy.
Reply 14
Original post by mctruffle
I'm also interested in the state of the campus gym. Do you have to have a gym membership to take part in most sports clubs? If so then I may just use the campus gym for the first year and work around the times when it's busy.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/sport/memberships/student

If you want to do clubs on campus, you need the Standard Plus one. If you want to do off campus clubs (Rifle, gliding, horse stuff, things like that) you can get away with the normal standard one.

If you want to join the gym AND do clubs, you buy the gym option and also the upgrade option. Last year it was just about ok at £170 ish. This year I'd say it's become a rip off at £228.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you want to do clubs on campus, you need the Standard Plus one. If you want to do off campus clubs (Rifle, gliding, horse stuff, things like that) you can get away with the normal standard one.

If you want to join the gym AND do clubs, you buy the gym option and also the upgrade option. Last year it was just about ok at £170 ish. This year I'd say it's become a rip off at £228.

Do you have to join the campus gym to become involved in the campus sports clubs? Like, do the sports clubs use the campus gym facilities as part of their sessions?
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if I it is possible for example to play basketball on the court or football on the field without having a membership for sports/gym etc?
I mean if I go for the gym off campus, will I be able to use the soccer fields and basketball facilities or not?
Reply 17
Original post by gica hagi
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if I it is possible for example to play basketball on the court or football on the field without having a membership for sports/gym etc?
I mean if I go for the gym off campus, will I be able to use the soccer fields and basketball facilities or not?

Yes you can. All Warwick sport memberships let you use stuff like the pool, athletics track, fields etc. providing they aren't in use already.
Hey Guys quick question!

From the link above if I wanted a gym student membership it says it would cost 198, but at the the bottom it says i can upgrade for clubs with £30, does that mean I have to pay £30 just to sign up to individual clubs which cost an extra £6 per club?

Cause I though all I had to pay was £6 per club, so it this £30 like a way of allowing me to join individual clubs by paying a further £6?
Reply 19
Original post by the greatest
Hey Guys quick question!

From the link above if I wanted a gym student membership it says it would cost 198, but at the the bottom it says i can upgrade for clubs with £30, does that mean I have to pay £30 just to sign up to individual clubs which cost an extra £6 per club?

Cause I though all I had to pay was £6 per club, so it this £30 like a way of allowing me to join individual clubs by paying a further £6?

To sign up to normal clubs you need the £88 option.

If you get the gym, you pay £198 and then have to pay the £30 to upgrade to clubs.

Then it's £6 per club individually.

Quick Reply

Latest