The Student Room Group

Zoology questions

Hey,

I'm new to this so please bare with me, and I apoligise if theres another forum I should post this in.

Anyhow! I am recently very deterred from working for humans, I have always had a passion for Animals and looking after them. I have never been good with Science so I haven't done any sciences for a level, unless you count Sociology. I am interested in Zoology, anyone know how I can get around their requirements for sciences? Or if I do AS level biology in my second year of A levels, they'll accept that?

Thanks for your time x
Original post by Jorgiemarie
Hey,

I'm new to this so please bare with me, and I apoligise if theres another forum I should post this in.

Anyhow! I am recently very deterred from working for humans, I have always had a passion for Animals and looking after them. I have never been good with Science so I haven't done any sciences for a level, unless you count Sociology. I am interested in Zoology, anyone know how I can get around their requirements for sciences? Or if I do AS level biology in my second year of A levels, they'll accept that?

Thanks for your time x

You would have to do an access course to do zoology with no science A-levels.

However, if you aren't good at science you have to think about whether zoology for you. Zoology is a science, it is just biology without the human bits. You have to learn about cells, and chemical processes and statistics.
Reply 2
What well payed job is similar? :smile:
Reply 3
I am not sure you would get a well-paid job with zoology, at least not without doing an advanced degree(s). Jobs are pretty competitive in that field, and zoology itself is more an entry-level degree. What do you consider 'well-paid'?

I agree with the above poster; zoology tends to be one of the harder biological science degrees. There is often a lot of memorization as I understand it. If you don't enjoy science I am not at all sure you would enjoy zoology.

Also, what do you mean by 'deterred from working for humans'? I ask because even in an animal-centric job, for example veterinary medicine, or conservation medicine, or even a zoo, there is still an element of working for and with humans. As a vet, the human is the one bringing the animal to see me, and paying me and determining what workup they want done. In conservation, humans are the ones you are campaigning for money to run your programs from. Similarly zoos, and zoos exist for human enjoyment of animals.
Original post by Jorgiemarie
What well payed job is similar? :smile:

If you want to be well paid working with animals is not for you.

Its pretty much the worst paid field ever.

Unless you're a vet, but that's not happening if you aren't good at science.
Reply 5
A first year vet in the UK is payed low to mid 20K, I believe. Considering what they put into their degree and and the hours they work, it too is not a 'well paid' field. Certainly not compared to other degrees like human medicine or dentistry.
Original post by Tarnia
A first year vet in the UK is payed low to mid 20K, I believe. Considering what they put into their degree and and the hours they work, it too is not a 'well paid' field. Certainly not compared to other degrees like human medicine or dentistry.

Compared to those of us in conservation/zookeepers it is exceptionally well paid :wink:

You're lucky to get that after 5-10 years in practical conservation...
Reply 7
No argument there, conservation is definitely not well-paid for the vast majority in the field. I personally consider it more of a 'vocation' than a career...though I often say the same thing about vet. Neither is as well paid as equivalently-skilled/trained/whatever jobs in human sectors, however, imho. And I think one could make the argument that we need conservationists more than we need other fields...but then I am admittedly biased. :tongue:

I guess it depends on what the OP's idea of 'well paid' is...though I agree, science tends to be a key part of the application and program. And I still very much interact with and arguably 'work for' humans.
Original post by Tarnia
No argument there, conservation is definitely not well-paid for the vast majority in the field. I personally consider it more of a 'vocation' than a career...though I often say the same thing about vet. Neither is as well paid as equivalently-skilled/trained/whatever jobs in human sectors, however, imho. And I think one could make the argument that we need conservationists more than we need other fields...but then I am admittedly biased. :tongue:

I guess it depends on what the OP's idea of 'well paid' is...though I agree, science tends to be a key part of the application and program. And I still very much interact with and arguably 'work for' humans.

What I was saying to the OP was the vetinary is the only job that involves working with animals that you can get what would be considered a decent wage. To me, 20,000 plus is decent money. As a vet you can earn quite a bit more than that as well.
Reply 9
Unfortunately, job prospects in the vet field, and salaries as well, don't seem to be what they used to be. The market appears to be approaching a saturation point. I don't mean to sidetrack or take over this thread, but for anyone considering vet as a 'well paying' career, I would strongly and respectfully suggest doing your research, including talking to recent grads as well as more experienced vets. Obviously some of us (a large number really) think it is worth it as there are a lot of vets and vet applicants out there, but I do think some people have a 'pie in the sky' viewpoint of the profession. "Well-paying" is also largely a personal opinion. There is a several-years-qualified vet that posts on here that commented that one applicants idea of mid to high 20k salary plus transport plus accommodation was unrealistic even peak career, if I remember correctly. The highest pay grade tends to be those in small animal or I think equine practice, that own their own clinic. However, owning your own clinic puts a lot more of the business and management stresses onto you, which again means dealing with people.

If a mid 20k salary after 5 years undergrad, student debt, long work hours, and high work burnout/emotional stress is worth it to you, or your (generic you, not anyone specific) idea of a decent salary-than great. I wouldn't be doing this job if I didn't think it was worth it. I love it and I can't imagine doing anything else, but I also try and be honest about the prospects, and that it might not be for everyone.

At the risk of sounding snobbish I don't consider entry level conservation jobs, such as zookeeping as Redferry mentioned, to be of the same skill level as a veterinary surgeon/doctor, as necessary and useful as they are, but that is my bias. If I was to draw an equivalence, based on my understanding of monitoring of daily care, enclosure setup/care, and other tasks I would more equate it to vet assistant or maybe vet nurse. Other factors to consider include weekly work hours, regularity of hours, emotional fatigue, etc. etc.

However definitely no arguing that conservation tends to be, from my understanding, the lowest paying animal professional sector. Which is really a shame.

OP-if the vet salary IS 'well paying' to you, and you think you can cope with the human interaction and strong science background, I recommend you browse this forum, as there is a lot of good information on applying, not the least of which are the 'stickied' threads at the top. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending