The Student Room Group

Computer science personal statement

Hello, I want to study computer science but I'm struggling on getting started on my personal statement. I'm especially finding it hard because I have no pervious experience as computer science is a new interest to me. I have nothing computer science related to write about.
Any help would be great!
Thanks
Reply 1
I'm also writing a personal statement for Computer Science at the moment:

- Writing about having a background in Maths can be good... Many universities value Maths above all else within A levels, so if there is anything extra you have done in maths e.g. Brilliant.com / Maths Challenges etc, make sure to put that in.
- There's a lot of scope for writing about things that excite you in the industry of computer science: Oculus rift etc. You can use a couple of sentences to explain your passion (we were told not to use the word passion as it is clichéd)
- If you can demonstrate that you have good presentational skills in some way, it certainly wouldn't harm to have more of that in the computer science sector...
- Physics is regarded as very beneficial - do you read NewScientist / equivalents occasionally?
- You could consider starting on one of the many free online courses for computer science. About 2 months ago I did a course on codecademy for learning the Python language. That was really helpful for me: http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python

I hope that helps a bit
Original post by Destrian
I'm also writing a personal statement for Computer Science at the moment:

- Writing about having a background in Maths can be good... Many universities value Maths above all else within A levels, so if there is anything extra you have done in maths e.g. Brilliant.com / Maths Challenges etc, make sure to put that in.
- There's a lot of scope for writing about things that excite you in the industry of computer science: Oculus rift etc. You can use a couple of sentences to explain your passion (we were told not to use the word passion as it is clichéd)
- If you can demonstrate that you have good presentational skills in some way, it certainly wouldn't harm to have more of that in the computer science sector...
- Physics is regarded as very beneficial - do you read NewScientist / equivalents occasionally?
- You could consider starting on one of the many free online courses for computer science. About 2 months ago I did a course on codecademy for learning the Python language. That was really helpful for me: http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python

I hope that helps a bit

I'm trying to write mine atm too haha...how beneficial do you think it'll be to include a short paragraph of stuff that you find engaging in CS? Do you not think it's just conjecture? I mean, I've included that I've learnt a lot about the basics of CS through reading books and Harvard's CS50 online (which I'd highly recommend btw) and then worked in a para of stuff that builds on these basics that I'd love to learn about. Is that useful?:s

PS: if you're looking for languages to learn...I'd recommend Ruby. There's a codecademy track for it too and I'm working with it on my bursary placement and I really enjoy it. Even above Python. It's also a language that I feel doesn't get huge attention so it's kind of unique, imagine the number of applicants listing off that they've tinkered about with Java/Python/C/C#/C++. Might be useful in showing that you have researched languages that are becoming more established rather than industry standards.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending