The Student Room Group

Should I use Spaced Repetition for my A-levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lauren___e
No, I didn't make a schedule but I used this flashcards app which told me when to study the cards as at the end I each study session it tested you to see how much you had retained and then adjusted your schedule based on thatImageUploadedByStudent Room1405200341.490039.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) So you did this for both Bio and Chem?
2) Were you revising on top of going over flashcards? If so, how did you go about doing this?
Reply 21
Original post by LECTERN LOBBY
Lets say you are studying in class, for arguments sake the first topic on aqa AS Chem which is ATOMIC STRUCTURE.
And lets assume in one week you cover 3 sub topics such as fundamental particles, electron arrangement and mass, atomic and isotopic numbers.
What you should be listening out for in class from the teacher is the CONCEPTS CONCEPTS CONCEPTS RIGHT?? Only you can learn and memorize the info, so really its the concepts of the topic that the teacher is talking about that realllyy count.
He/She could stand at the front and talk all day about fundamental particles...but its actually YOU and your revision strategy that will get you an A grade on judgement day on 1 hot day in July right ??
Now, the concepts you cant really teach yourself, because how are you ever sure that it is the CORRECT way to approach it ( everything in biol, chem and phys has a METHOD to the concepts) Concepts being the WAY something is solved, calculated, or an organised way to TREAT a problem.
Example in chemistry is the concepts and RULES applied to electronic configuration of atoms. How you build the shell up
Another example being the rules of electron ORBITALS, because certain orbitals ONLY are allowed a certain number of e- 's
Another example being The ORDER in which you calculate EMPIRICAL FORMULAE....Do you start to see what you should be nailing in class through LISTENING TO THE CONCEPTS AND RULES....YOU will easily be able to identify a concept or rule and zone in on it..You dont understand it....Ask.....And ...always make a clear note of the concept or rule on a big fresh sheet of paper titled...so when you get home you can modify it
HOW DO YOU MODIFY IT- IN a nut shell....reread the whole chapter in the book and condense the important bits
I will show you how to do this in my blog
Follow me on here
Good luck.

Thanks, around when are you thinking of publishing your first blog?
Original post by ps1265A
1) So you did this for both Bio and Chem?
2) Were you revising on top of going over flashcards? If so, how did you go about doing this?

1) I didn't do biology or chemistry! I did maths, physics and psychology! Some of my friends did though and they used the same method as me.
2) Yeah, I was writing notes from my revision guides as well. I also did all the past papers (some two or three times!) and went through the difficult questions with teachers. For physics there were several questions that required long "wordy" answers that were repeated in lots of papers so I prepared model answers for these and learnt them as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest