The Student Room Group

What medicial schools still do Cadaver dissection?

If someone could answer this that would be great!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
they all do. Not for the sqeamish
Reply 2
Manchester still use cadavers for anatomical dissection and prosections. I personally think it is one the best forms of learning anatomy :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maker
they all do. Not for the sqeamish

Most don't.
Reply 4
Nottingham do a year of small group full body dissection and the course is likely to be evolving towards using it even more heavily in the next couple of years :smile:

I'm pretty sure Bristol, Sheffield, and Leeds also do, don't know about the rest :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
bristol does
St Andrews still do this.
Reply 7
Exeter and Plymouth don't
You can definitely google this.

Original post by Maker
they all do.

Most do pre-section now, not dissection. Some have no teaching using cadavers at all.

Not for the sqeamish

You get over it quickly.
Does it even matter?
what about:

Manchester
Exeter
Sheffield
Newcastle
Leicester
Reply 11
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
what about:

Manchester
Exeter
Sheffield
Newcastle
Leicester

Newcastle don't, we use prosections. You can intercalate into a MRes, include an anatomy module and I think that allows dissection.
Original post by Beska
Newcastle don't, we use prosections. You can intercalate into a MRes, include an anatomy module and I think that allows dissection.

I really wanted to do cadaver dissection:frown: Newcastle is still perfect though - I really hope I get in. What is it like there?
Reply 13
Original post by insomniacz
bristol does

They use prosecution rather than dissection don't they ?

Cardiff Leicester St. Andrews and Sheffield do as well
Reply 14
Not Birmingham.
Reply 15
Keele do! :biggrin:
Loads of them (it really annoys me on open days when med schools are like 'we are one of the only medical schools that still do dissection'). Don't base your application on it though, it's not that important. I didn't learn anything from it anyway, prosections are much more useful for learning in my opinion. Don't know about anyone else but this was way more useful than the time spent in the DR.

http://ect.downstate.edu/courseware/haonline/quiz.htm
Original post by t()m
They use prosecution rather than dissection don't they ?

Cardiff Leicester St. Andrews and Sheffield do as well

Prosecution?!?

I dissected cadavers when I did was in first and second year :yes:
Cambridge - for the entire of first year, one cadaver between 6 people, guided by a massive anatomy manual, which contains notes for each session, detailing the structures you're dissecting and gives their anatomical information etc. Anatomy teaching at Cambridge is superb. The course is supported with lectures and labs, and is brilliantly taught.

Also use prosections and models alongside dissection for revision.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Sycopation
If someone could answer this that would be great!

Probably the best anatomy teaching in the UK happens in St Andrews. It's ridiculously thorough and you dissect in small groups in an ultra modern laboratory every week for 2 and a half years, covering the entire body in huge detail - support by lectures, surface anatomy and micro labs. The anatomy team is legendary and the teaching is excellent, if possibly a bit too in depth..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending