The Student Room Group

What career do you intend to go into and why?

What career do you intend to go into and why?

Personally, my future is so unclear! I don't know what my dream job would be. Also, all of my ideas are so different to one another - it's not as if they are all from the same category (for example, if someone wanted to be either a GP, nurse or chemist), so this means that I don't know what subjects I want to study.

I'd like to know what careers you would like to go into and why. Maybe your reasoning would help me decide my possible pathway.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd like to work in something related to cosmology. Sadly, I realised this after doing a degree in linguistics, so I'm not sure that'll be possible. If you don't know, then don't rush into anything would be my advice. Well, don't rush into it when it involves sacrificing lots of time/money anyway.
Reply 2
Virology because I am fascinated by microbiology and by viruses in particular. I want to be involved in research in that field.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to be a teacher :smile:
I wanna be a music producer. The reason is 'cos I really like making music haha. Obviously, gunna need some luck but hopefully I'll succeed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Marketing or journalism because there's no such thing as a "standard day in the office" :smile:

Lots of travelling and not being stuck in front of a computer the whole time - new cultures, people, languages, discoveries, way of thinking.

With either occupation, you'll be one of the first to get your hands on the latest technologies (be this phones, medical stuff, etc)

(And, I'm ashamed to say, marketing because you get a fair bit of money)
I'd like to work with animals or in a cafe. Ideally I'd run my own petting zoo with a cafe and farm shop.
I'm hoping to go into accountancy but life is unpredictable so don't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by p.formanko
Marketing or journalism because there's no such thing as a "standard day in the office" :smile:

Lots of travelling and not being stuck in front of a computer the whole time - new cultures, people, languages, discoveries, way of thinking.

With either occupation, you'll be one of the first to get your hands on the latest technologies (be this phones, medical stuff, etc)

(And, I'm ashamed to say, marketing because you get a fair bit of money)

I heard you don't get so much in marketing? Maybe I heard incorrectly aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I also want to do Marketing and if not that, I guess being an entrepreneur is next. I like marketing because I genuinely find the analysis and creativity intriguing and as for being an entrepreneur, I like the idea of being able to set up my own business(es), materialising my ideas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheVth
I heard you don't get so much in marketing? Maybe I heard incorrectly aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on where you end up - I hear CEOs at places like red bull earn quite a hefty sum! :smile:

Being an entrepreneur is also on the list - for the same reasons as yours too. Having a small number of businesses which you've set up can be pretty rewarding
Reply 11
Original post by p.formanko
It depends on where you end up - I hear CEOs at places like red bull earn quite a hefty sum! :smile:

Being an entrepreneur is also on the list - for the same reasons as yours too. Having a small number of businesses which you've set up can be pretty rewarding

Are you planning to do a marketing course @university, or do a business management with marketing?

I've already started talking to entrepreneurs from all over America for advice and all ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheVth
Are you planning to do a marketing course @university, or do a business management with marketing?

I've already started talking to entrepreneurs from all over America for advice and all ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm I'm not sure where you're from, but I'm from England where the most prestigious universities don't usually offer marketing courses - usually people do something loosely associated with marketing at university (a language, economics, I'm doing geography because it teaches tons of transferable skills) and then build their way up from there.

I did a "Young Enterprise" program at school but that's the furthest I've got :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by kayleighisonfire

Me too. :smile:

Not going to happen though :frown:
Original post by KH94
Me too. :smile:

Not going to happen though :frown:

Aww, if you don't mind me asking, why not? :frown:
Reply 15
Aww, if you don't mind me asking, why not? :frown:

Too much hard work, and it would take too long. I would love the job though.
The dream job would be CEO of Google/Samsung/HTC/Sony etc - because technology is awesome. But hopefully my future job will be a teacher :wink:
Reply 17

Nice! :smile: Primary or secondary school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Neuropharmacologist - just so fascinating :ahee:
I would love to go into research
I could swear someone made an exact replica of this thread yesterday... Either way

Contract solicitor (I believe it's called) - law, but get to use languages yay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending