The Student Room Group

What grade do I need to get a B in GCSE English Literature?

I've already taken my exams but I just have the awful feeling that I haven't done well. I would just like some information on what I would have needed to get at least a B (so that I can take English Lit in Sixth Form).

The GCSE course consists of:

- 1 piece of coursework (25% of overall grade)
- Of Mice and Men/Poetry Comparison Exam (35% of overall grade)
- LOTF and Blood Brothers Exam (40% of overall grade).

In the coursework I got an A, so I'm wondering what I would have needed in both exams to get a B overall (or if you can, what I would have needed to get A*-C)

If my grade isn't as well as I'd hoped I'll retake it, however I need at least a B to get into sixth form beforehand.

Thank you for your help!
Original post by baileywelch
I've already taken my exams but I just have the awful feeling that I haven't done well. I would just like some information on what I would have needed to get at least a B (so that I can take English Lit in Sixth Form).

In the coursework I got an A, so I'm wondering what I would have needed in both exams to get a B overall (or if you can, what I would have needed to get A*-C)

If my grade isn't as well as I'd hoped I'll retake it, however I need at least a B to get into sixth form beforehand.

Thank you for your help!

Heya, I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82

Thank you for your help!

It depends on how high your A is. Now, originally to get an A in Lit Controlled Assessments, it is usually 32 out of 40, then 36 out of 40 to get an A*. So if you did get an A that is 32-35.

To achieve a B overall, you would need to get two mid-range B's in your exam to secure your B because the UMS are quite far off from one grade to the next.
Reply 3

Thank you for your help!

Hi there,
I did my english lit gcse this summer too. Im going into year 12 in september and want to study english lit as one of my subjects. I also did of mice and men but not the blood brothers thing that you stated. Im so worried too ! Okay back to you, so basically you've got an A in your CA which secures your 25 % because remember it gets converted to UMS. SO PRAY GRADE BOUNDERIES ARE LOW. That leaves 75%.. im assuming you'd need B grades in both. Mid B grades to achieve a secure B. It also depends on your chosen sixth form, if it states on their entry requirements that they require you to achieve a B in english lit gcse to study it for A levels then you'd need to achieve a B. However, if it doesnt state that then a C is perfectly acceptable! My chosen sixth form wants a C at english lit gcse and a B in english language to study it onto A level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending