The Student Room Group

Chances of KCL being in clearing for Mathematics?

I'm currently holding an offer from Nottingham, but I've recently decided I want to go to London. My grades are going to range from A*AB (Math, Econ, Further Maths) to ABB, narrowly missing A*AA.

Is there a chance I'd get in through clearing to King's with this grade set? I've spoken to them recently regarding UCAS Extra, but I don't think that's available anymore.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathsz0r
I'm currently holding an offer from Nottingham, but I've recently decided I want to go to London. My grades are going to range from A*AB (Math, Econ, Further Maths) to ABB, narrowly missing A*AA.

Is there a chance I'd get in through clearing to King's with this grade set? I've spoken to them recently regarding UCAS Extra, but I don't think that's available anymore.

I'm not sure if they participate in clearing. UCL doesn't, so I would think it would be the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I highly doubt it would be in clearing as it's a highly competitive course so spaces would most likely be filled. Nottingham is still a great uni but if you want to change it'll most likely be a gap year.
And Nottingham is better ranked for math. Not that you should base a large part of your decision on rankings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Dilzo999
I highly doubt it would be in clearing as it's a highly competitive course so spaces would most likely be filled. Nottingham is still a great uni but if you want to change it'll most likely be a gap year.

They were in clearing in previous years, it's actually distinctly average for Mathematics and Sciences generally. Nottingham is far better for Maths. However, I really want to go to London.

Thanks for your response.
Reply 5
KCL do go into clearing.

Mathematics at KCL isn't massively competitive. Competitive courses and competitive universities do pop up in clearing.

There's every possibility.
Reply 6
Original post by Selym95
KCL do go into clearing.

Mathematics at KCL isn't massively competitive. Competitive courses and competitive universities do pop up in clearing.

There's every possibility.

What would you expect their requirements to be though (Maths is AAA) if they were in clearing? Would they be less?
No one knows what they would be. Again, there's a slim chance they'll be in clearing. If you're positive that you want to go there, take a gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They were in clearing in previous years, it's actually distinctly average for Mathematics and Sciences generally. Nottingham is far better for Maths. However, I really want to go to London.

Thanks for your response.

Really? I thought Kings was at least good with maths.
Reply 9

It's very good for humanities, not so much for sciences. It's the best in London however, besides LSE (who don't offer straight maths), UCL and Imperial.

It's very good for humanities, not so much for sciences. It's the best in London however, besides LSE (who don't offer straight maths), UCL and Imperial.

KCL isn't that great for Maths - it's no better than your average Russell Group university. After COWI the standard drops pretty dramatically.

KCL would probably be my second choice out of the London universities. Maths is probably UCL's least majestic department.
Reply 11
Original post by Selym95
KCL isn't that great for Maths - it's no better than your average Russell Group university. After COWI the standard drops pretty dramatically.

KCL would probably be my second choice out of the London universities. Maths is probably UCL's least majestic department.

UCL is light years ahead of KCL regardless of how bad it is in comparison. I don't even think Kings makes the top 10.

Warwick
Oxford
Cambridge
Imperial
Bristol
Bath
Durham
St Andrews
UCL
Nottingham

In no particular order.
Reply 12
Not to say Kings is a bad University by any means, I wouldn't want to go there if it wasn't any good.
Reply 13

KCL is actually very good for maths, as one of my mates is doing it, but you got to be kidding me if you just stated that KCL (33rd) is better than Imperial (3rd) and UCL (8th). However if you do want to go there, they do clearing and the grades differ from A*AB - AAA. At least that's what one of my friend told me.
Reply 14
Original post by Rian7
KCL is actually very good for maths, as one of my mates is doing it, but you got to be kidding me if you just stated that KCL (33rd) is better than Imperial (3rd) and UCL (8th). However if you do want to go there, they do clearing and the grades differ from A*AB - AAA. At least that's what one of my friend told me.

...I know. I didn't. However, the rankings mean very, very little really. Alright, thanks very much for the information.
UCL is light years ahead of KCL regardless of how bad it is in comparison. I don't even think Kings makes the top 10.

Warwick
Oxford
Cambridge
Imperial
Bristol
Bath
Durham
St Andrews
UCL
Nottingham

In no particular order.

Is this generally speaking? UCL, overwhelmingly, is the better university. However, I would not say UCL Maths department is particularly 'light years' ahead of any other decent RG university and its respective math department. It's one of UCL's weaker departments, illuminated by its last RAE, its rather small department and other factors. The main allure of studying Mathematics at UCL is, in my opinion, being able to have its brand name on your CV.
You may have problems getting in with ABB, however in a couple of cases it has happened.

If you are sure that you don't want to go to Nottingham, I would ask to be released into clearing well before results day. Otherwise you'll be in a situation that you'll be waiting for UCAS and potentially not get into King's as a result.
Reply 17
Original post by Slowbro93
You may have problems getting in with ABB, however in a couple of cases it has happened.

If you are sure that you don't want to go to Nottingham, I would ask to be released into clearing well before results day. Otherwise you'll be in a situation that you'll be waiting for UCAS and potentially not get into King's as a result.

I've spoken to King's admissions and I'm waiting on a response, if they give me any indication they'll take me with ABB then I'll withdraw from Nottingham, yeah.
I've spoken to King's admissions and I'm waiting on a response, if they give me any indication they'll take me with ABB then I'll withdraw from Nottingham, yeah.

Its a serious risk because:

1. You don't know if they will end uobin clearing this year. They could have had a year when they were oversubscribed
2. They will do a ranking system and if you have ABB you won't be given the highest priority. This priority would most likely be given to applicants who have already applied.

However, if anything I'd recommend reapplying and taking a gap year if anything. Gives you a chance to really work out what London uni you want to go to.

I got reply of my emails after weeks. I will suggest you to call them at: 020 7848 2271 and if you reach to answering machine then redial until you speak to a human.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending