The Student Room Group

Two types of Protein Powder

Hi everyone, just wanted to know the answer to a question I have.

I'm 5ft 10, 18 years of age and weigh 10 stone/140 pounds.

I used to buy this protein shake: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000GIPJ02/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=drugstore

However, as it tastes awful I have switched to this protein shake now which I like better: http://www.theproteinworks.com/products/protein-shakes/whey-protein-powders/whey-protein-80-concentrate.html

(The second link does not show the ingredients of the packet so here is an image of it: http://i.gyazo.com/f9927f39b340ece704b27c13f18a9426.png)

The question I wanted to ask is, when reviewing both protein powders, I wanted to know how they squeeze so much protein into a measly 25g? Haha, its crazy! I want one with loads of calories and protein as I'm looking to put on weight, and it seems that the one I've bought and happen to like the taste of has been designed for those who are looking to lose weight? Am I correct?

Would really like your opinions on this, thanks in advance.
Truth be told, that protein is fine whether you are cutting or bulking. However if it's calorie content isn't high enough for you I suggest either putting some ground oats into it (eg. Ready brek) It has a slight porridgy taste but it's not ghastly. Another helpful tip I learnt was to put a tablespoon of olive oil/peanut oil/coconut oil into your shake, virtually tasteless and adds another 150 calories of healthy fats to your shake as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Walkaah
Hi everyone, just wanted to know the answer to a question I have.

I'm 5ft 10, 18 years of age and weigh 10 stone/140 pounds.

I used to buy this protein shake: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000GIPJ02/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=drugstore

However, as it tastes awful I have switched to this protein shake now which I like better: http://www.theproteinworks.com/products/protein-shakes/whey-protein-powders/whey-protein-80-concentrate.html

(The second link does not show the ingredients of the packet so here is an image of it: http://i.gyazo.com/f9927f39b340ece704b27c13f18a9426.png)

The question I wanted to ask is, when reviewing both protein powders, I wanted to know how they squeeze so much protein into a measly 25g? Haha, its crazy! I want one with loads of calories and protein as I'm looking to put on weight, and it seems that the one I've bought and happen to like the taste of has been designed for those who are looking to lose weight? Am I correct?

Would really like your opinions on this, thanks in advance.

Whey is high protein in content, it's just dried.

It's more close to 17-18g of protein per 25g scoop by the time you take out sugar, flavours etc.

Make your own mass gainer shake - milk, oats, whey, peanut butter, olive oil etc can be blended together for a tasty, protein and calorie rich drink
Reply 3
Original post by Aaron Rawlings
Truth be told, that protein is fine whether you are cutting or bulking. However if it's calorie content isn't high enough for you I suggest either putting some ground oats into it (eg. Ready brek) It has a slight porridgy taste but it's not ghastly. Another helpful tip I learnt was to put a tablespoon of olive oil/peanut oil/coconut oil into your shake, virtually tasteless and adds another 150 calories of healthy fats to your shake as well.

Original post by Angry cucumber
Whey is high protein in content, it's just dried.

It's more close to 17-18g of protein per 25g scoop by the time you take out sugar, flavours etc.

Make your own mass gainer shake - milk, oats, whey, peanut butter, olive oil etc can be blended together for a tasty, protein and calorie rich drink

Ok thanks guys :smile:
Reply 4
[h="1"]''NUTRILITE All Plant Protein'' is the best one I have ever used. this is not related to your question but can highly recommended.[/h]
Reply 5
Original post by Eagle14
''NUTRILITE All Plant Protein'' is the best one I have ever used. this is not related to your question but can highly recommended.

Sounds weird O.o

I guess that's the healthiest one?
Reply 6
The stuff is just made from milk! Whey is a by product of milk and by using very clever filtering techniques they can extract the pure whey out of the milk and turn it into a protein concentrate. Its quite amazing really. If you are having a hard time downing your calories and wish to drink some I personally suggest you invest in a blender.

Making quality mass gainer shakes is pretty simple and its pretty fun since you can throw pretty much anything in and it will work. If the protein by itself isn't enough mix it with milk....not enough? Throw some oats, bananas, peanut butter etc in there and watch the calories shoot up!
Reply 7
Original post by Walkaah
Sounds weird O.o

Of coz yes. Anyone can use
Original post by Walkaah
Sounds weird O.o

It's wheat, soy and pea protein in powder form. It's no more or less healthy than whey.

It's also damn expensive
Reply 9
Original post by Angry cucumber
It's wheat, soy and pea protein in powder form. It's no more or less healthy than whey.

It's also damn expensive

Quality products always expensive but spending £28.25 for best products is worth:biggrin:
Original post by Eagle14
Quality products always expensive but spending £28.25 for best products is worth:biggrin:

the fitness industry loves you.

meanwhile the rest of us are glad we're not so gullible
Reply 11
Dont spend money on BS like that all plant stuff, its such a waste of money. If you want to put on mass, use the original ON Serious mass you bought, although either will help you build muscle.
I use, Gold standard Optimum Whey Protein, it's expensive, but cheaper one's are filled with sugars and unhealthy chemicals.

Whey Protein - Used Post workout (generally)

Casein- Consumed just before bed, it's a slower release of protein as you're fasted at night.
I second the above post... 100% Gold Whey is the best protein i've ever used... And to be fair, in terms of protein, it's not too bad a price, £45 for 5lb tub is peanuts compared to proteins that PhD and Maximuscle put out.. Also, it tastes bloody brilliant... Can't vouch for casein though as I've never used it personally.

Quick Reply

Latest