The Student Room Group

Getting ready for A2 Economics

Hello everybody,

Our AS exams have only just finished but I want to make sure I do very well next year. I am on the OCR board and sat the exams of Markets in Action and the National and International Economy.

Many say that the second year is 'considerably' harder than AS so I wanted to ask what I need to do prepare, what modules to take and what resources I need to ensure I can get that A* :biggrin:

I look forward to hearing from you all, many thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Depends on which unit you are taking. Leisure or Transport.
Reply 2
Original post by keynes24
Depends on which unit you are taking. Leisure or Transport.

I am a private candidate so I can choose either. Which do you recommend? :smile:
Original post by L'Etudiant
I am a private candidate so I can choose either. Which do you recommend? :smile:

It is really up to you. Do you like labour markets? or transport?
You need to check the specification and choose what's suitable for you. Are you not going to attend lessons at college? self-study?
Reply 4
It is really up to you. Do you like labour markets? or transport?
You need to check the specification and choose what's suitable for you. Are you not going to attend lessons at college? self-study?

I shall check the specification as I know little of what they entail :smile: I will learn only by self-study - books, websites, YouTube and possibly here on TSR :smile: What resources did you use? I am thinking of getting this book but I keep seeing people wanting a certain 'toolkit' - could you tell me what this is? Will books and past papers not be enough for A2?
I shall check the specification as I know little of what they entail :smile: I will learn only by self-study - books, websites, YouTube and possibly here on TSR :smile: What resources did you use? I am thinking of getting this book but I keep seeing people wanting a certain 'toolkit' - could you tell me what this is? Will books and past papers not be enough for A2?

If you are aiming for a high grade I would strongly suggest not taking the self-study route. A2 is quite challenging and, in my view, requires constant monitoring of your written analysis, exam technique and essay writing.
Reply 6
If you are aiming for a high grade I would strongly suggest not taking the self-study route. A2 is quite challenging and, in my view, requires constant monitoring of your written analysis, exam technique and essay writing.

I won't be able to as I have already left 6th Form. I might be able to hire a tutor though to guide me along?
I use the OCR textbook, anforme textbooks, Economics Today/Economics Review magazines, toolkits for the Global Economy,..........
Reply 8
I use the OCR textbook, anforme textbooks, Economics Today/Economics Review magazines, toolkits for the Global Economy,..........

Woah, quite a few things to get but it should all be worth it in the end I guess, thanks :smile:
I wouldn't have said Economics A2 is significantly harder than AS, though I thought leisure was easier than transport. I studied it at college but didn't like my teachers so basically self-taught using a lot of tutor2u stuff and the textbook you linked earlier (Bamford, Grant and Walton). A* definitely achievable without a teacher.
Original post by ttankzhang
I wouldn't have said Economics A2 is significantly harder than AS, though I thought leisure was easier than transport. I studied it at college but didn't like my teachers so basically self-taught using a lot of tutor2u stuff and the textbook you linked earlier (Bamford, Grant and Walton). A* definitely achievable without a teacher.

That's great news, private tutoring is pretty expensive - judging by the tutors available in my area. So, from what I understand there are 3 units, Globalisation is compulsory and you have to choose one from the remaining two?

May I ask how you went about learning the material and preparing for the exam? Was the book, websites like Tutor2U and past papers enough for an A*?

But that's different, you studied and did not enjoy the lessons and complemented whatever you gained from those with additional reading material which is good idea. Self teaching from scratch and with no or limited contact with an experienced teacher is difficult.
That's great news, private tutoring is pretty expensive - judging by the tutors available in my area. So, from what I understand there are 3 units, Globalisation is compulsory and you have to choose one from the remaining two?

May I ask how you went about learning the material and preparing for the exam? Was the book, websites like Tutor2U and past papers enough for an A*?

Tutor2u has exercises, and did some past paper stuff as well. If you read through and understand the book, it's definitely enough for an A*. Besides, if there are small sections you don't quite get you can easily get help on here.

But that's different, you studied and did not enjoy the lessons and complemented whatever you gained from those with additional reading material which is good idea. Self teaching from scratch and with no or limited contact with an experienced teacher is difficult.

Yes, I suppose that is fair, but when I say I didn't go to lessons I mean I went to like 5% in total, so I still think it's 100% possible to get an A* without access to a teacher even if it is harder.

Yes, I suppose that is fair, but when I say I didn't go to lessons I mean I went to like 5% in total, so I still think it's 100% possible to get an A* without access to a teacher even if it is harder.

I think I should rephrase my comment :smile: anything is possible my point is that is very rare and not likely. I have never met anyone that has self teach economics without attending any lessons and get A*. I am currently teaching Economics and did some marking. I would say that Transport is not very difficult but requires a lot of practice. Tutor2u provides excellent resources but it does not tell you what examiners are looking for in your responses (e.g. section B of the transport paper). That requires guidance and constant practice.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think I should rephrase my comment :smile: anything is possible my point is that is very rare and not likely. I have never met anyone that has self teach economics without attending any lessons and get 100%. I am currently teaching Economics and did some marking. I would say that Transport is not very difficult but requires a lot of practice. Tutor2u provides excellent resources but it does not tell you what examiners are looking for in your responses (e.g. section B of the transport paper). That requires guidance and constant practice.

Fair, I haven't met anyone at 100% either, but while I did go to some lessons, the majority I learnt myself, and I got 98%. If OP has done other A-Levels (especially essay subjects) then they'll have some idea of what examiners are looking for anyway.
Tutor2u has exercises, and did some past paper stuff as well. If you read through and understand the book, it's definitely enough for an A*. Besides, if there are small sections you don't quite get you can easily get help on here.

Brilliant, I shall use all resources available, TSR included! :biggrin:

I think I should rephrase my comment :smile: anything is possible my point is that is very rare and not likely. I have never met anyone that has self teach economics without attending any lessons and get 100%. I am currently teaching Economics and did some marking. I would say that Transport is not very difficult but requires a lot of practice. Tutor2u provides excellent resources but it does not tell you what examiners are looking for in your responses (e.g. section B of the transport paper). That requires guidance and constant practice.

I understand that it will take a lot of practice, this is why I have already started preparing for A2 Economics. I shall also look into finding a private tutor to help me prepare for the exams. I actually quite liked the essay parts in AS Economics but I have been told A2 requires more depth.

Thank you both very much for your posts!
Fair, I haven't met anyone at 100% either, but while I did go to some lessons, the majority I learnt myself, and I got 98%. If OP has done other A-Levels (especially essay subjects) then they'll have some idea of what examiners are looking for anyway.

Sorry didn't mean 100% but A* :smile: I do commend your hard work, 98% is impressive.
Are there any specific books/guides that anybody would recommend for somebody starting A2 economics next year? I do have the Anderton back breaking book but I didn't use it last year. Should I this year? All help is welcome :biggrin:
Hey! For Economics I only believe in Susan Grant.. Just research a little there is this revision guide published by Susan Grant which has got awesome flow charts for revision and questions on each topic that really help! There are exam type questions too like MCQs, data response and essay.. the best part is with sample answers at the back! But it is only helpful if you have previously a proper textbook thoroughly before! I dont know about Anderton but stick to it if you are comfortable.. I used the one published by Cambridge University Press by Susan Grant and Colin Bamford and some other people too I guess!

If you can't find them check on cie.org.uk under Economics resources!
my tutor showed me this website to help understand some of the economics concepts: thinkeconomics.org

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending