Scroll to see replies

Hi
(edited 6 years ago)
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Original post by Digger2581
Hi guys, I'm coming to Hull in september. I'm a grad so I'm a wee bit older (21) wanting to stay in halls. Was thinking the new place thats being built as lawns/thwaite is a bit far out and I don't have a car. But I've hear that Lawns is really good and I'm worried that the new place won't be as popular or fun. Anyone got any advice?

AFAIK, by staying at The Lawns you are given a free bus pass which is actually valid for trips further than the campus. Besides that, The Lawns are supposedly only 3 miles campus so if you're into running or biking it isn't a ridiculous trip.

I'm sure wherever you go will be fun, although I'd imagine they might be a little stricter around the new halls whilst it is all new and shiny - when i checked the prices for it were pretty crazy too, so I'd give your budget some thought too.
Is it silly to go into student housing your first year as undergrad? I'm 21 and I like the idea of a student house but obviously it's a bit more isolated? Any recommendations on where to stay?
I'm looking to go into halls as a first year undergrad so does anyone know the pros and cons of the Lawns and/or Thwaite? :smile:

0 followers
[list]

1 minute ago

hiya
3 fun guys looking for an extra flatmate (boy or girl) to share a house on Newland Avenue Torrington Street. Rent is £78 a week with all the amenities and bills included. If interested just message me so we can meet and you can see the house, and get to know us.

Original post by jessicabeth
im looking for somewhere en-suite with car parking, Any recommendations? Thanks!

If you need a long contract (50 week) and want parking (need to pay for separate permit)and en-suite there is Taylor court on campus.
I also think then new accommodation (the courtyard) may also offer parking but the rooms there (according to the booklet i have) will also be en-suite.

Personally due to my courses length , i'll be staying either in the Courtyard or Taylor court :smile:
Original post by jessicabeth
im looking for somewhere en-suite with car parking, Any recommendations? Thanks!

Try "Kexgill- The Trees". Although I'm not sure they will have many en suites left as it is quite popular! It's also a gated residence with a mini car park for residents only so you'll always have a parking spot. It's close to Lidl and Tesco too so that's great. £96.50 per month so a good deal!! I'd say give them a call and look on their website. I live at The Trees now and will continue next year :smile:
Original post by crkaz
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can provide any photos or even comparisons between the different halls at Hull, particularly Nicholson Hall?

I find it infuriating that there are only pictures of Ferens and Lambert (seemingly acrossthe entire internet)!

I've seen Lambert first hand but I'm reluctant to pay ~115 for a medium sized room when Nicholson offers an en-suite for 120 pw. I wouldn't be opposed to staying in ferens but assuming that the photos are of "the best bits" i don't think i could deal with the shared-kitchens or bathrooms.

Thanks

On the tour of lambert on the website theres a photo of the en-suit bedroom, this is what the majority of the nicholson rooms look like.

I chose Nicholson for the en-suit and honestly it was worth it, but don't forget its also self catered which makes living there more expensive.
Original post by fieldy_xo
On the tour of lambert on the website theres a photo of the en-suit bedroom, this is what the majority of the nicholson rooms look like.

I chose Nicholson for the en-suit and honestly it was worth it, but don't forget its also self catered which makes living there more expensive.

Thanks a lot! I have already applied at this point but it's good to know I made the right move. I couldn't see myself taking advantage of catered in all honesty. Thanks again! :smile:
Anyone moving into student houses / Cranbrook Avenue? Hollar at me :smile:
Reckitt Hall- RECKTC25A?? Anyone??
Original post by ErixAlice
Anyone moving into student houses / Cranbrook Avenue? Hollar at me :smile:

Hey I am in number 15, you?
Original post by Relaen
How long did it take for people to hear back?

Around two weeks
Original post by Relaen
Alright, thank you :smile:

Have you just applied for accommodation?
Reply 4814
Original post by Hurricane_Herd
Where is everybody staying then ?

Portland!!!
Just to alert everyone, don't come to Portland in HU1. This place is crappy and full of nonsense. Promised to be a student accommodation and only for long-term contract, and after moving in it became a place with people who are nurses, doctors, psycho, bar attendants, and some residents worked as student ambassador to petrol? act as secuirty guards???Seriously, got massive broke in during christmas since there's no security guard all the time. No improvements and a place full of lies, no wifi,noisy,dirty, smelly... 9/10 people move out within 3 months.
Lazy manager who has holidays during working hours, not sorting out problems, and you may not get your deposits back . Just had a friend sent an email to their director to get her deposit as the manager refuses to help. Almost contacted a lawyer and media to spread how notorious this place is. You get poor network and they continue to charge you same room rent. Don't be faked by the outline of the place, try to visit the kitchens in each floor, a flush of rotten dead **** sensation is ready to overwhelm you. There's people who don't pay rents for many months and still smiling. Don't consider, I am sure you will regret it for life.
Original post by Relaen
I applied a few weeks back but I only just managed to get my deposit in :/ Would that affect anything? :/

I guess it depends what your choices where. I went for the new build and I applied the day it allowed us to but I ended up with a student house. What did you go for :smile:
Original post by Relaen
That's a shame, the new build looked interesting! I went for student houses as my 1st choice, haha :smile:

well I hope you get what you want :smile: tell us if you end up in 15 Cranbrook Avenue, it would be nice to have an idea of who I am with :smile:
Original post by Relaen
Haha, will do :smile:

Did you go for mixed or single sex? what are you going to be studying?
Original post by Relaen
Mixed :smile: Also want to study Geology. Really hope I get in. You? :smile:

Mixed to, psychology :smile: they gave me an unconditional. Did you visit on one of their open days?

Quick Reply

Latest