The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull Uni Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

:frown: No internet in my room.... 103 Cranbrook.. but using the LAN connection in the neighbouring room which is empty at present.... hopefully i get the connection working by this week...
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Hi - I'm not a tudent so hopw OK to ask a question here. I need some advice on accommodation from a landlords point of view. We are looking to buy a (nice!) house to rent to students but need some help on which roads/areas are popular and an idea of rents. Do you prefer all inclusive or bills extra. Have tried Estate agents but they don't give an honest opinion as they just want to sell us a house! so hope you can help as you're the ones in the know! Chhers.
Oh - and forgot to ask - is there a shortage of rooms or is everyone sorted with Uni accom?
Original post by annaelsie
Hi - I'm not a tudent so hopw OK to ask a question here. I need some advice on accommodation from a landlords point of view. We are looking to buy a (nice!) house to rent to students but need some help on which roads/areas are popular and an idea of rents. Do you prefer all inclusive or bills extra. Have tried Estate agents but they don't give an honest opinion as they just want to sell us a house! so hope you can help as you're the ones in the know! Chhers.

Hi Annaelsie,

I'm happy to be messaged direct on this subject if you wish.. The most popular streets are the ones to the end of Newland Ave nearest uni, eg Torrington - best of both worlds as not too far to walk and lots of facilities. Other end eg De Grey Street/Reynoldson still possible but are a bit too marginal really... Cranbrook and others v near uni continue to be v popular and good lets.

You will only rent to students if prepared to offer all inclusive - it is only very occasionally that tenants will agree to anything else... The amount of rental you can ask for will rather depend how nice your house is... £70-£75 per room is reasonably usual up to about £80. Others have let for around £90 but need to be pretty large and well presented for this. Having said that, at this time of year I've had to put my inclusive rates down to £65 for a good sized double. The students are telling me that's pretty cheap, but there's a LOT of competition out there....

There have appeared to be more houses than students this year!! There is always the back up option of professional lets or lets to Polish workers. If you decide to go through a letting agent then be very very careful which one you choose - some are unscrupulous...

Although returns can be pretty good, be aware of the pitfalls too:
Maintenance costs can be higher than anticipated, and void periods are common too, also non-payment of rental can be a large issue, and one to be especially careful of with overseas tenants as chasing rent is impossible once they've left... Don't want to be voice of doom - it's a competitive market, can be rewarding, make sure you've done the maths, ideally get a house which is large/pleasant enough to rent to professionals if student letting doesn't work out...

Oh, and finally, thinking about number of letting rooms, this year there have appeared to be too many 4 beds, 3 beds go quickly but you have to think about the bills vs rental ratio, and at the lettings fair THIS year, larger 6+ houses were going well, but this isn't always the case and you have to think about HMO regulations?!

Good luck,

Carolyn
Reply 1984
Hi Carolyn,

sorry to jump in on your thread but my daughter is currently looking for a property on / adjacent to Newlands Avenue and rang last night to inform me that she and her friends (7 in total) are about to sign for a house at £85 pw inclusive (each).

Unfortunately her group don't seem to have done much research, having only looked at 2 houses both through the same agaent. They haven't asked any other agents / university accom dept and seem to be caught up in the moment.

My concern is that £85 is too high for a fairly small room (it's got a double bed in it - so I suppose it would be called a double). Also, and I feel more importantly, the contract is for joint and several liability. This I am totally against; I would much rather be her guarantor and have suggested that she and her co-tenants request this instead.

The house doesn't have a garden/yard of any sort either but does have parking spaces (not much use as none of her friends have cars!!)

I spoke to the University Accommodation office a couple of weeks ago, and they advised that nobody really looks for accom for the next year untill they have had their accomodation fair in early February. However my daughter disagrees with this and says that everybody is looking now - hence a sence of "we've got to sign or we'll loose it".

Could you give me some basic advise as too how this works in Hull.

Thanks

SC
Original post by sc52
Hi Carolyn,

sorry to jump in on your thread but my daughter is currently looking for a property on / adjacent to Newlands Avenue and rang last night to inform me that she and her friends (7 in total) are about to sign for a house at £85 pw inclusive (each).

Unfortunately her group don't seem to have done much research, having only looked at 2 houses both through the same agaent. They haven't asked any other agents / university accom dept and seem to be caught up in the moment.

My concern is that £85 is too high for a fairly small room (it's got a double bed in it - so I suppose it would be called a double). Also, and I feel more importantly, the contract is for joint and several liability. This I am totally against; I would much rather be her guarantor and have suggested that she and her co-tenants request this instead.

The house doesn't have a garden/yard of any sort either but does have parking spaces (not much use as none of her friends have cars!!)

I spoke to the University Accommodation office a couple of weeks ago, and they advised that nobody really looks for accom for the next year untill they have had their accomodation fair in early February. However my daughter disagrees with this and says that everybody is looking now - hence a sence of "we've got to sign or we'll loose it".

Could you give me some basic advise as too how this works in Hull.

Thanks

SC

The property that I am living in is £85 pw inclusive and we signed our contract this week for next year (2 housemates are moving out and two of our friends are moving in). We were told by our estate agent that due to changes in the Scheme (a university approved housing scheme incorporating several letting agents) it would be beneficial to sign for the house before christmas.

However, this is probably a special case in our instance since we wanted to continue living in the same house (it is by far the most modern and well furbished house we have found here, and we get on well with the landlord). Our house is also joint liability, which I think is common practice. After all, we are responsible adults who can sort out any grievances with regards to damages incurred by individuals between ourselves; at least I would hope that would be the case since university is a time of becoming independent and responsible.

It would be worth her looking at other estate agents however to compare prices on similar properties, although student accommodation is much of a muchness price wise around here.
Reply 1986
Original post by Keckers
The property that I am living in is £85 pw inclusive and we signed our contract this week for next year (2 housemates are moving out and two of our friends are moving in). We were told by our estate agent that due to changes in the Scheme (a university approved housing scheme incorporating several letting agents) it would be beneficial to sign for the house before christmas.

However, this is probably a special case in our instance since we wanted to continue living in the same house (it is by far the most modern and well furbished house we have found here, and we get on well with the landlord). Our house is also joint liability, which I think is common practice. After all, we are responsible adults who can sort out any grievances with regards to damages incurred by individuals between ourselves; at least I would hope that would be the case since university is a time of becoming independent and responsible.

It would be worth her looking at other estate agents however to compare prices on similar properties, although student accommodation is much of a muchness price wise around here.

Thanks for the quick reply Keckers.

From what I can gather this house isn't in particularly good condition, but if as you say £85 per week is the going rate then that's fine. I'm in Hull tomorrow so can have a look around.

re Joint and Several liability, I've know this to cause problems for some in the past, where a tenant has walked out/dropped off their course prior to the start of the next academic year, and the landlord has simply increased the rent of the remaining tenants to cover the shortfall, as it's easier to do than persuing the missing tenant. Not so bad in a house of 7/8 but expensive in one for 3/4.

Cheers,

SC
Original post by sc52
Thanks for the quick reply Keckers.

From what I can gather this house isn't in particularly good condition, but if as you say £85 per week is the going rate then that's fine. I'm in Hull tomorrow so can have a look around.

re Joint and Several liability, I've know this to cause problems for some in the past, where a tenant has walked out/dropped off their course prior to the start of the next academic year, and the landlord has simply increased the rent of the remaining tenants to cover the shortfall, as it's easier to do than persuing the missing tenant. Not so bad in a house of 7/8 but expensive in one for 3/4.

Cheers,

SC

Hi
My son missed out on Uni Accomodation and has rented a 4 bedroomed house near new lands at 75 pound a week inclusive. This did seem cheap on the day he moved in but the same house is 58 pounds a week without bills . That is a lot of money for bills .
He has just found a house for £60 exclusive for 7 . We think this is going to work out cheaper over the year.
Pm me if you want to know more
Reply 1988
Original post by Cdkins99
Hi
My son missed out on Uni Accomodation and has rented a 4 bedroomed house near new lands at 75 pound a week inclusive. This did seem cheap on the day he moved in but the same house is 58 pounds a week without bills . That is a lot of money for bills .
He has just found a house for £60 exclusive for 7 . We think this is going to work out cheaper over the year.
Pm me if you want to know more

Thanks for that - I'll try to get my daughter to look at other properties but they're pretty set on signing - I think they are too concerned about missing out and it's making them rush into it.

PM'd you.

Cheers

SC
Chances are that I'll be choosing Hull as my first choice and from looking at the accommodation, Taylor Courts seems so be the best option for me. My only requirements were; close to campus, single room, en-suite and self catered. However Taylor Court is one of the more expensive places. Is there a cheaper place I will be able to get this?
And I have honestly no idea how accommodation is paid for. Is it part of the student loan I will take out for the course or is it a separate second loan? Will I have to pay any money upfront? How will I get money for food If i cant find a job, is there some kind of grant that will pay for it?

Understandably these questions might seem silly to some but I've never had them clearly explained to me.
Thanks for any help you can provide!
3 Beds in a full refurbed private owned house (due to be completed March 2012) off Newlands Avenue will be available for Aug 2012. 2 doubles and 1 King Bed ranging 65, 70 and 75 which includes ALL bills including broadband, incoming phone line and TV license. 1 bath with separate shower, also 2nd WC in utility room downstairs. All mod cons being fitted and all electrics, plumbing, windows, alarm, fixtures and fittings brand new! Imminently due to be advertised in the scheme...but anyone want to know any more then contact me asap !
Reply 1991
Original post by breakeven
Chances are that I'll be choosing Hull as my first choice and from looking at the accommodation, Taylor Courts seems so be the best option for me. My only requirements were; close to campus, single room, en-suite and self catered. However Taylor Court is one of the more expensive places. Is there a cheaper place I will be able to get this?
And I have honestly no idea how accommodation is paid for. Is it part of the student loan I will take out for the course or is it a separate second loan? Will I have to pay any money upfront? How will I get money for food If i cant find a job, is there some kind of grant that will pay for it?

Understandably these questions might seem silly to some but I've never had them clearly explained to me.
Thanks for any help you can provide!

One thing I will say about Taylor courts is that it's mainly international students so if you're not international, it may not be the best option.

I'm not sure on the prices unfortunately...

if you're a UK student applying through SFE then you'll get a loan and you can apply for a grant based on your household income. My parents pay for my accommodation but the majority of my friends use their loan.
You get two loans - a maintenance loan and a tuition fee loan. The tuition goes straight to Hull uni, the maintenance loan goes into your back account.
it's usually paid in four installments: Deposit when you arrive then three seperate payments.

You'd be best off taking out a student account with an interest free overdraft (my overdraft is 1000 quid)
If anyone is still interested I have a room available as I dropped out of hull because I thought it was godawful (clearing)
Ive paid the rent off until the end of Jan and the landlords are being NO help with regards to finding new tenants
message me if interested!
Original post by katwall1
If anyone is still interested I have a room available as I dropped out of hull because I thought it was godawful (clearing)
Ive paid the rent off until the end of Jan and the landlords are being NO help with regards to finding new tenants
message me if interested!

WOW from taking A levels to clearing to dropping out all in the last4 days - that's some feat!

Do we have a troll here I wonder?

"Just wondering if anyone could tell me how UMS points worked?
Im trying to move my current grades up to A*AA and I have no idea how far off I am with regards to UMS points
If someone could tell me the UMS points needed for an A*, A, B, C etc it would be highly appreciated
Thanks!"
Original post by notanumber
WOW from taking A levels to clearing to dropping out all in the last4 days - that's some feat!

Do we have a troll here I wonder?

"Just wondering if anyone could tell me how UMS points worked?
Im trying to move my current grades up to A*AA and I have no idea how far off I am with regards to UMS points
If someone could tell me the UMS points needed for an A*, A, B, C etc it would be highly appreciated
Thanks!"

For your information
I did my A levels and achieved ABB instead of my AAB as I was predicted
I left clearing to the absolute last minute which is why I ended up at Hull
I went to Hull, thought it was terrible and dropped out
Now I am taking a gap year and while working as an Investment Banking Intern at UBS I am resitting my ICT and psychology exams in order to get to 3 A's and go to uni again this year
Not that it is any of your business, but I am sure most people would appreciate your slanderous opinions to yourself
I'd love to know how clever and big you felt when you read my post, went on my profile and then typed out your reply you MORON
Reply 1995
Original post by breakeven

Taylor Courts is a 50 week contract, so that'll be why it's so expensive. Due to this, there are apparently mostly international students (who can't really get home easily) staying there. The only other Hall that would fill some of your requirements from what i gather is Nicholson Hall but it's in the Lawns, so not quite close to campus.

Sorry I can't answer your other questions. I was looking at Taylor Courts too but didn't see the point when I realised it was a 50 week contract, hope I get Nicholson instead as I really wanna go to Hull and I really don't want to be catered in any form :/
Most people love Hull, but you're obviously so different. No I didn't feel clever or big, but had a huge laugh at this. Hope you enjoy your investment bank internship - even if you can't manage to work out the UMS points needed!

"So im 18
For my 17th I got my BMW 1 series
For my 18th I got my rolex
I went to private school for 15 years that charged 12,000 a year
I don't think I've ever worn anything that wasn't designer
My dad drives a bentley
My mum drives a range rover
I get 100 pounds a week for nothing
I am not getting a loan for university (tuition or maintenance)
I have an iPhone 4s and a blackberry as does my sister
we've got 4 iPads
4 macbook pros
and my house cost over a million pounds

AND the best part is all of that is 100% serious
PEASANTS"
(edited 12 years ago)
As a second year, I really recommend staying in Halls for the first year.
I was at 'The Lawns' where there's about 1200 students spread across 7 halls.
There's one hall that is self-catered whilst the rest are semi-catered which means you get an evening meal every day.
The University are slowly doing up every hall (one every summer) as well so you might get lucky (as I did) and get a hall that's just been completley refurbished.
The Lawns is about a 15 minute bus journey from campus with a special 102 service that just runs from the lawns to the University and the '105' which runs from the lawns into the the centre of Hull. There is also the 115 which runs from outside the Lawns on a different route to town but also passes close to the University.
As well as 'The lawns', there is Needler Hall and Thwaite Hall.

In terms of paying for your accomodation. There will be installments set up to coincide with your student loan. There's normally 3 installments across the year. Say you got £1700 in from your loan in the first semester, then the accomodation installment would go out shortly after that say £900. It's designed so that you're not paying all in one go (although you can if you have the money) and so that you still have money left over from each bit of your loan.
just to add to the post above, there is now a 103 bus running the same as the 102 but at different times, so you're pretty much ok for getting to uni.

and i'm staying in the lawns and i only have £8 left over from my loan each time i pay for accommodation.
Original post by catrinasheep
just to add to the post above, there is now a 103 bus running the same as the 102 but at different times, so you're pretty much ok for getting to uni.

and i'm staying in the lawns and i only have £8 left over from my loan each time i pay for accommodation.

Blimey. I definately had a lot more than that left over as did most of the people I stayed with.

Quick Reply

Latest