Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull Uni Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hi ev1......
is any1 staying in the lawns in ferrnas....
if you are when are you moving in.....
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
I'm staying in Taylor Court. Accommodation is great there. The bathroom sink is too small though. On the other hand, 10Mbit broadband internet in my room :biggrin::biggrin:
I cant find any pictures of Hull's accomadation, do you know where I can find some.

Sitarax
Good for u Rotherham Lad
(edited 12 years ago)
mathsforsaken
I'm staying in Taylor Court. Accommodation is great there. The bathroom sink is too small though. On the other hand, 10Mbit broadband internet in my room :biggrin::biggrin:

They remind me of North Sea Ferries
Reply 25
I lived in Taylor Court a few years back. It's a bit of a rip-off IMHO: it is good, but it's not really worth the extra you pay for it, given how cheap housing is in the area around the university.
Hullite
I lived in Taylor Court a few years back. It's a bit of a rip-off IMHO: it is good, but it's not really worth the extra you pay for it, given how cheap housing is in the area around the university.

got to agree hullite, t-c is quite a big rip-off. for 4 grand you're expecting something special. but i get housing benefit to pay for most of my rent, so i aint really fussed :biggrin:
Reply 27
Hopefully Thwaite, for me. I'm a budding photographer, and the grounds of Thwaite might provide some nice subjects to work with. Also, it looks so pretty. :biggrin:
Reply 28
hey...need choose my firm choice soon and hull is a strong possibility...but my other uni has accomedation on campus...which seemed to appeal to me more. whats it like have to travel to get to lectures n stuff?
Reply 29
hi, assuming you are going to be at the lawns...
Theres a bus every 10-20 mins or so. one bus comes every 20 mins, that goes to hull via uni, n there is another that comes inbetween n goes straight to uni.
both busses take between 15 - 20 mins to get there, so usually when you have a lecture, it starts at 15 past the hour, so you get the bus from the lawns about quater to the hour, get there for around the hour or so, depending on traffic etc. that give you just enough time to walk to lectures and get in n sat down etc, or nip to the loo or shop etc, depending on where you are on campus etc...
bus pas it like £160 for the year, but you get unlimited use on the busses (apart from the late bus at like 2am, but no one uses that neway....its cheaper easier n quicker to get a taxi) so can go to town, or uni an unlimited amount of time, even just using it to nip into the village on the booze run, its proves invaluable..!!!
dont worry about it taking longer to get to uni or out, i have friends at other unis who have to set off before me on there walk to uni....
hope this helps.

Rob
I chose Hull as my firm, when do they start to give out accomadation information or how do I apply for it?

Starchild xx
starchild
I chose Hull as my firm, when do they start to give out accomadation information or how do I apply for it?

Starchild xx

You'll be sent information.

Also, If anyone has questions about current accomadation I'll be happy to try and help. I'm currently staying at Thwaite.
Reply 32
bigmouth strikes again!
You'll be sent information.

Also, If anyone has questions about current accomadation I'll be happy to try and help. I'm currently staying at Thwaite.

I do! ... What's Thwaite like? I went to the last open day but my train back to the Midlands meant I didn't have time to go to see Thwaite ...
ive been to the lawns twice and think it the place for me, seems a sociable layout with the bar :biggrin: and open area to have a kick around etc.. will probably end up where robocampo was this year because i dont care when i go to bed and love getting lashed :P
sfaoldun
I do! ... What's Thwaite like? I went to the last open day but my train back to the Midlands meant I didn't have time to go to see Thwaite ...

Really great. I don't know where to start!
People here are really friendly, great fun. A fair amount of people end up staying here for 2nd/3rd/4th year but the majority are 1st years. As I said, everyone is pretty friendly, it's not hard to get to know people.
Freshers week was great, Thwaite is the only hall that puts on events for residents. They're pretty helpful in getting you sorted out in Freshers.
The rooms are nice, a good size. They're redecorating over the summer holidays and it looks like they'll be kitted out pretty well. There's a common room, library, music room, TV room and games room here.
The grounds are great, it's especially nice right now. It's also pretty awesome when it snows. Great for photography.
The food is.. variable. Though from the sounds of it, it's better here than any of the other halls.
It takes about 10 mins to get from here to Uni on the bus (it's worth getting a bus pass) and about 20-30mins to get to Hull. The nearest pubs are in Cottingham, they're alright. The bars and clubs in Hull are pretty decent. Before I came here I was warned about 'the locals' but I've never had any trouble in town, and I can't think of anyone else that has. Hull has a rep for being rough and a bit low end but it's not like that. Actually, people up here are pretty friendly. Bit of a chav problem but that's the same everywhere.

Uh.. I don't know if I helped you out. If you have any specific questions I'll probably be more helpful.:p:
Reply 35
bigmouth strikes again!
Really great. I don't know where to start!
People here are really friendly, great fun. A fair amount of people end up staying here for 2nd/3rd/4th year but the majority are 1st years. As I said, everyone is pretty friendly, it's not hard to get to know people.
Freshers week was great, Thwaite is the only hall that puts on events for residents. They're pretty helpful in getting you sorted out in Freshers.
The rooms are nice, a good size. They're redecorating over the summer holidays and it looks like they'll be kitted out pretty well. There's a common room, library, music room, TV room and games room here.
The grounds are great, it's especially nice right now. It's also pretty awesome when it snows. Great for photography.
The food is.. variable. Though from the sounds of it, it's better here than any of the other halls.
It takes about 10 mins to get from here to Uni on the bus (it's worth getting a bus pass) and about 20-30mins to get to Hull. The nearest pubs are in Cottingham, they're alright. The bars and clubs in Hull are pretty decent. Before I came here I was warned about 'the locals' but I've never had any trouble in town, and I can't think of anyone else that has. Hull has a rep for being rough and a bit low end but it's not like that. Actually, people up here are pretty friendly. Bit of a chav problem but that's the same everywhere.

Uh.. I don't know if I helped you out. If you have any specific questions I'll probably be more helpful.:p:

Thank you! :smile:

How is Thwaite laid out? Every other hall of residence I've been to has been laid out in flats with shared kitchen & social areas, but from what I've heard Thwaite is slightly different. Is this the case? :smile:

What sort of events did they put on for Freshers, out of interest?

Do you have any pictures of the hall or it's grounds, the ones I've seen on the Hull Uni Accommodation pages are next to useless. :P

Also, about the chav problem ... I work in a secondary school in a small South Derbyshire town, I'm used to it. :P

Again, thanks a lot! :smile:
hayley_smith
does anyone know what BROUG0G2A means in regards to Taylor Court? thats what it says on my form and i don't quite understand what it means!
hayley x

BROUG0G2A means you are in Brough house, which is one of twelve houses located in Taylor Court. In said house, you are in room G.2, which means you are on the ground floor in room number 2. Your house is the second one from the right when you enter Taylor Court from Salmon Grove.

Here is a picture of Taylor Court.

Taylor Court is located on the campus of the University of Hull. There are 2 entrances/exits to Taylor Court - one leading to the main university buildings, and the other leading away onto Salmon Grove. Each house in Taylor Court has 3 floors. Each floor has 8 en-suite rooms and a shared kitchen which has most appliances you will need. You need to enter a 6 digit alphanumeric code to enter a house, then you need your key to enter your floor and you use the same key to enter your room in your floor. In total, there are 288 rooms in Taylor Court, 24 rooms in each of the 12 houses, 8 rooms on each of the 3 floors. As of 2006, the accommodation fee for the 50-week contract is £4029.72. :smile:
sfaoldun
Thank you! :smile:

How is Thwaite laid out? Every other hall of residence I've been to has been laid out in flats with shared kitchen & social areas, but from what I've heard Thwaite is slightly different. Is this the case? :smile:

What sort of events did they put on for Freshers, out of interest?

Do you have any pictures of the hall or it's grounds, the ones I've seen on the Hull Uni Accommodation pages are next to useless. :P

Also, about the chav problem ... I work in a secondary school in a small South Derbyshire town, I'm used to it. :P

Again, thanks a lot! :smile:

It's not like that. All of the rooms are down corridors (with a few exceptions), with a kitchen and bathroom at the bottom of the corridors. I think some of the large rooms are away from the main corridor areas.

Haha, I have to think back a bit. Uhm, there was a pub crawl round Cottingham, a bar crawl in Hull, a girls & boys night... A night at Asylum... There was stuff during the day like meeting other people from your course and such. A few days of the week will be spent sorting out registration and stuff at Uni.

:P As long as you have some experience. They're not too bad up here, a few mouthy chavs in Cottingham and you'll usually see a surprising amount of the local school kids wandering around Hull (and occasionally round the uni, for some reason) when they should clearly be in school, but as I said, not too bad.
Reply 38
Would it be possible for you to take pictures of the Halls on the inside? I'm really curious now (and still having a hard time visualising it). :P
Which halls offer an en-suite with like evening meals? xxx

Quick Reply

Latest