The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull Uni Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

sfaoldun - Haven't got a cam or I would. If I happen upon some good pictures then I'll post them up. It's a bit difficult to explain, but basically the rooms are down corridors, and at the end of each corridor there's a hall area that connects to other corridors, a kitchen and a bathroom area. That's probably just made it worse to envisage, but I tried!

alettertoelise - I don't think there are. As far as I know, the only halls with en-suite are the Taylor Court flats, but you don't get meals.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
What are the self catering facilities like?

starchild xx
Reply 42
I currently live in a student house in Hull and would be happy to answer any questions any has about them.
Reply 43
afhstingray
taylor court flats are actually on the campus too, so they're the closest. the others need a bus ride

Cranbrook Avenue or Auckland Ave are probably a better choice as you spend about half the price than Taylor Courts! Although you do have dial up, we had to spend a few hundred on broadband last year!
I would second the above post, a vast amount of foriegn students go with the university owned student housing on Cranbrook Ave, Auckland Ave or Cottingham Road and have a great time, and taylor court is comparatively very expensive.
I only found out I'm going to hull a couple of weeks ago (my offer is from HYMS and didn't know if I had hull or york), and only got accom stuff at the weekend. No idea where to pick. What do you thinks better, taylor court flats or student house? I'm gonna be a medic (hopefully) and it says cos we have longer terms should really pick one of these two. I really wanted to be in halls but that would mean I would have no-where to live for a few weeks at the end of the year lol. So yeah, which do you recommed? Do you feel isolated from other people in the houses, or is it nice? Thanks x
Reply 46
Hello everyone
starchild

I chose Hull as my firm, when do they start to give out accomadation information or how do I apply for it?
Starchild xx

bigmouth strikes again!

You'll be sent information.
Also, If anyone has questions about current accomadation I'll be happy to try and help. I'm currently staying at Thwaite.

I got accepted conditionaly about 5 months ago but they never sent me an accommodation application or a guide. Why is that?
Anyway, they emailed it this week after i asked them but it seems so last minute. I am hoping to get a place in a student house.

I have many questions about the student houses but would also like to know about other things, like what's the university and the teachers like? what's the leisure facilities like? how's the night life?
I live so far i couldnt come just to visit it an open day....
Reply 47
I have applied for student housing, I haven't been inside them but I've seen the outside they all look pretty decent :smile: Looking on the Hull website they look nice inside too!
Reply 48
ive applied for nickolson hall =D
Reply 49
well apparently now I'm in Morgan, is Morgan a good place ?, I'm afraid i haven't really gone into that dorm in detail
I just got a letter from Hull today and ive been put in Nicholson hall. Is it a decent hall anyone whos stayed at the lawns??

Although the price it says on the letter doesnt match what the price of Nicholson hall is in my accomodation book they sent me a few months ago. The price matches a medium room in grant, lambert, ferens and reckitt halls!

So either they've put the wrong hall on my letter or the wrong price or the prices have just dropped!
Royal mail lost my application form and cheque so it took me a while to establish that they'd lost it, send a new form back to the accomodation office and cancel and re-write cheques for my deposit - so considering that it was first come first serve I think I'll end up with a shabby room :-( I really don't want a shared room!! I applied for Lambert, Grant & Ferens in that order so I should defo. be at the Lawns :-)

Hopefully if I end up with a shared room some people might not get their grades and I can usurp their room!

I remember the covering letter I got with the accomodation brochure thingy saying that some of the prices in it had been printed incorrectly so maybe that's why you're confused over the price ryan_forest ?
Reply 52
Spare single rooms tend to appear in about weeks 2 and 3 of the academic year so you should be able to grab one of those if you do get a shared room.

Morgan hall is a great hall fully refurbished and self catered for september.

Reckitt hall is having ensuites installed in 1 of there blocks at the moment. (In between floods).

If anyone wants info on Ferens Hall I'm the Assistant Warden. Everyone else I've been a Hull University student for 5 years lived at Nicholson and Ferens Halls and now pretty much everything you would need to know and more. Any questions message me .

I'm on
http://www.***************
http://www.hulluniversityforum.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com
http://www.myspace.com/lexaris
Reply 53
Kimbolina
I have applied for student housing, I haven't been inside them but I've seen the outside they all look pretty decent :smile: Looking on the Hull website they look nice inside too!

It depends what house you get. Some are refurbed, some are not. Mine last year wasnt but it didnt stop us having fun!

Also lawns is fun but its only about the people, I'd recommend a student house, especially if you're applying late. Mine last year was something like £1500 a year plus gas n electric
Reply 54
j.ingham06
It depends what house you get. Some are refurbed, some are not. Mine last year wasnt but it didnt stop us having fun!

Also lawns is fun but its only about the people, I'd recommend a student house, especially if you're applying late. Mine last year was something like £1500 a year plus gas n electric

Surley thell all need to be refirbished now lots of them have been flooded.
Reply 55
spoke to my landlord for next year who said they are going mad to replace everything that was damaged in the flooding, but to be honest the majority of the houses have been ok as student areas are quite high up and so thewater didnt hit as badly.
urgh! i got my contract today and im in needler house - self catering (i didnt even think it was?)
that was my third choice and now i really wish i didnt put it
My friend choose morgan as his second choice and he got in! we sent off our accomdation form at around about the same time grrr i want to stay in the lawns now :frown:
think ill contact the university on monday to see if i can sort it out
urgh i thort i had sent my form off early as well :frown:

First choice: downs - is this very popular then?
second: morgan
third: needler

ive heard you can move after a week or so if people have freed up some accomdation but thats hardly ideal movin all my stuff and making new friends again :frown:
Reply 57
Needlers good as its pretty much in the village of cottingham so the booze run is quicker!! Dont worry about it, its the people you meet, not where you are that matters :smile:

If it bothers you that much then you can try and swap, but up to you :smile:
Reply 58
Does anyone know when I should hear about where I am going to be staying? I sent my application off ages ago, but without deposit as I sent that separately. I'm a bit worried as some people seem to have heard where they are going! Cheers.
Reply 59
Dirk666
Surley thell all need to be refirbished now lots of them have been flooded.

I've just come back from my house and the ones down cranbrook and auckland; although the roads were flooded a bit, it appears that the houses them selves weren't touched! Phew though, I left a lot of stuff downstairs! :P

Quick Reply

Latest