The Student Room Group

3rd year prep work?

Hi everyone,

I've just finished my second year of law, and am, after a whole year of hating having to do my reading, feeling a yearning for some reading to do. Don't worry, this will probably last about 3 days max, but while it's here, I might as well try to indulge myself. Unfortunately, my university hasn't given us anything to do over the summer (I may email some tutors, but was just wondering if there was anything that you've found useful from a students perspective - don't fancy jumping in too deep!). I've looked up the textbooks they suggest, but they haven't given their best recommendations yet, and I feel randomly choosing from a list of 3 is too much of a gamble for me. Plus, I don't want to read a textbook at all. Just some background/basic stuff that will hopefully put me in good stead for next year, or maybe just maintain my ability to read about law a bit, or maybe just sit in the corner of my room/a folder on my bookmarks bar and make me feel good.

Basically, what I want is any recommendations of the simple stuff to read over the summer as a bit of prep for my final year.

I'll be studying:
>Trusts
>Employment law
>Human Rights
>Family law
>Legal history (though I am currently weighing up changing this to a coursework module - advanced family law)
and then my final year research project (also not confirmed title yet so I don't want to start doing too much for that yet...)

I hope this isn't too waffley, and please be aware, I have tried googling, but it's a bit overwhelming when I have no idea what to google to get something that's not the main statute or textbook, or way too overwhelming!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :smile:
for trusts, you could try penner's the law of trusts. it's not simple like a nutshell and it can often be found as a set text on reading lists (my undergrad uni set it with a complementary text), but it's shorter than a textbook so might be easier to get your teeth into over summer.

depending on your syllabus, you might also find it useful to re-cover some elements of land law for trusts (trusts of the family home).

can't help on the others - the only other one i studied was HR and we didn't have any set text for that.

have you decided what area your research project will be in? if it's like a dissertation in that you set your own title rather than lecturers/tutors setting it for you, it might be worth doing some reading around the area to narrow it down now - speaking from experience, it's not fun to do that alongside your coursework and prep :smile:
Original post by fishfan01

>Legal history (though I am currently weighing up changing this to a coursework module - advanced family law)

I'd probably start with Baker, Introduction to English Legal History, and then maybe Milsom, Historical Foundations of the Common Law. One or both of these might be the recommended book for your course, but legal history doesn't really have textbooks as such, and these are pretty interesting to read. You'll probably enjoy them more than slogging through Deakin's Labour Law, or Hanbury's Equity, or anything for those other subjects.

I'm currently reading a History of the Law of Landlord and Tenant which is very good, but not the ideal place to start with legal history, unless you really loved Land Law !
Reply 3
Thank you very much! I believe that Baker is one of the recommended books for the course, and I am rather looking forward to studying it, I expect to enjoy them! Haha, I think I might leave the history of land law to you for now, Forum User, I'm still suffering from flashbacks to the exam (I actually quite enjoyed the subject, but the exam! I've get to get over that.)

And I'll look into the trusts one too, I'm feeling quite apprehensive about the subject, but we only did land in 2nd year (I think most do it in 1st?) so hopefully that's still relatively fresh! And we have selected 3 options we might like to do, but they haven't confirmed anything yet, and I'm pretty certain I want to change my options! I definitely should have thought about the long-term effects of my decisions at the time!

Managed to find some work doing office temping, I might have to keep these in mind in order to remind myself that there is so much more to life than sitting waiting for the phone to ring. Literally just sitting there. No, you can't make the tea, the phone might ring. 10 hour days. I refuse to return after university!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending