The Student Room Group

Football injury.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to put it but i need some advice. I'm a goalkeeper and dived to save a shot and landed on my wrist, bending it back in the process. I've bandaged it up and am leaving it until tomorrow to see whether i should go A&E to see if the throbbing stops. It could be anything from broken/fractured/sprained, hopefully sprained as if broken i'd have thought i'd be in total agony. What i'm asking is if it is worth going to get it checked if the pain eases. I have it bandaged already and waiting for ages in a que for a sprain is a bit pathetic. And if any of you have sprained/fractured/broken a wrist what's the sort of time frame you can't play sport again for? I know that a Doctor would tell me properly but i'd like a rough estimate first if possible just out of interest as i don't really want to miss any games. Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Yes go get it checked without waiting around unnecessarily as if it is ****ed then you want treatment sooner. Given you don't have X ray vision it is entirely reasonable to go get it checked when in doubt and not at all pathetic.

FWIW when I had to go to A&E I've been in and out in an hour- once my mates toes were broken, once my foot wasn't broken.
Reply 2
I'd wait and see if the pain eases. If it does ease, it probably won't be broken. I don't think there's anything they can do other than give you some painkillers, so I'd find it a waste of time to go A&E for that.
If it's still throbbing and you can't move it, then definitely go in.
I had a one where I went to catch an American football, completely misjudged it and did some mischief to my right pinkie finger. We are fortunate to have a walk in center close by. When it first happened my finger looked like a lightening bolt and immediately became swollen, so I insisted on going. They put it in a splint and I had an x-ray the following morning. They said everything was fine, and I felt kind of sheepish.

What I'm trying to say here, is don't go straight to A&E...but it is still worth getting it checked out. Try going to a walk in center. 1-1-1 might be a good idea. If nothing else, they can do something to ensure that it heals properly and quickly.
Reply 4
I'm sure you can go into a walk in centre instead of A&E?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qr95
I'm sure you can go into a walk in centre instead of A&E?

This^

I play a lot of sport, whenever i get an injury like this i just go to my local walk-in center. You don't have to wit long and its exactly for stuff like this.

They'll check it out and let you know if anythings wrong (and xray if needed).

BUT when you go, make sure you say it happened in the last 24 hours or they wont see you.
Reply 6
They will be able to tell very quickly from bruising if it wasn't in the last 24hrs
Reply 7
Thanks for the responses lads, i'll look into going to a walk in centre instead. Overnight it hasn't swelled but it still throbs, not unbearable but uncomfortable. I can push it against my other hand with some force but i find the pain becomes worse when trying to bend it back and forwards, the way i got the injury i think. Gives me hope it's not broken at all :smile:
Original post by BKS
They will be able to tell very quickly from bruising if it wasn't in the last 24hrs

it doesn't matter, if the nurse see's you, you've already made it past the point of no return. The receptionists just ask you because of procedure.

if you say stuff like "it was about 27 hours hur dur" they won't see you, so just answer yes and get on with it.

Quick Reply

Latest