The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Life at LSE

Hey guys! I've been reading quite a few student written articles about their lives at LSE and I'm becoming quite skeptical about applying there. Is it really a place where you can not make any friends and are bound to live 3 miserable years?
Reply 1
Don't believe everything you read. I had the most amazing time this year; made many great friends and had loads of opportunities to get involved with so many things. But I can only speak for myself and my friends. I can see why some may not enjoy their time at LSE, especially those living at home. LSE is not a campus university and is very small which means it doesn't lend itself to a typical university experience. Also, LSE doesn't exactly go out of their way to compensate for this. But if you get involved, either with societies or the AU, it's easy to have very enjoyable time at LSE.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Incompl
Don't believe everything you read. I had the most amazing time this year; made many great friends and had loads of opportunities to get involved with so many things. But I can only speak for myself and my friends. I can see why some may not enjoy their time at LSE, especially those living at home. LSE is not a campus university and is very small which means it doesn't lend itself to a typical university experience. Also, LSE doesn't exactly go out of their way to compensate for this. But if you get involved, either with societies or the AU, it's easy to have very enjoyable time at LSE.

Although there is a central campus at LSE, I'd imagine that on top of all the societies, it's relatively easy to meet new people in the LSE accomodation you are in.

No?

Also, what's AU?
Reply 3
Original post by swissstud
Although there is a central campus at LSE, I'd imagine that on top of all the societies, it's relatively easy to meet new people in the LSE accomodation you are in.

No?

Also, what's AU?

Yh, in my experience most of your friends will be made in halls, then societies and then classmates. You'll have lots opportunities to meet new people at your accommodation, especially in the first couple of weeks.

The AU is the athletics union. If you enjoy sports or going out this is probably the best place to do it. It's a shame most of the events are alcohol related though.
Original post by Incompl
Yh, in my experience most of your friends will be made in halls, then societies and then classmates. You'll have lots opportunities to meet new people at your accommodation, especially in the first couple of weeks.

The AU is the athletics union. If you enjoy sports or going out this is probably the best place to do it. It's a shame most of the events are alcohol related though.

Is it true that everyone there is an international asian?

Want to study here, that doesn't concern me though. Is it all it is cracked up to me, if I got in - I wouldn't stay in at the uni.
Reply 5
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Is it true that everyone there is an international asian?

Want to study here, that doesn't concern me though. Is it all it is cracked up to me, if I got in - I wouldn't stay in at the uni.

No, not everybody is an international Asian. But there are lots of international students. That's not a problem though as most are no different from home students.

It did live up to my expectations. It's got a great reputation and I had a great time. However, I did find the teaching in the economics department to be very disappointing. My friends who lived at home didn't enjoy it as much as those that lived in halls except for those who really got involved with societies and sports.
Reply 6
Original post by Incompl

Really? Classmates in last position, I find that a bit surprising..

With regards to AU, can a master student (e.g. MSc in Econ/Finance/Acc&Fin/...) manage to take part in a sport at LSE? The program is only 9 months long. With the classes, the coursework, the presentations, the assignments, the recruiting, the societies, the parties,...

is there even time?
Reply 7
Original post by swissstud
Really? Classmates in last position, I find that a bit surprising..

With regards to AU, can a master student (e.g. MSc in Econ/Finance/Acc&Fin/...) manage to take part in a sport at LSE? The program is only 9 months long. With the classes, the coursework, the presentations, the assignments, the recruiting, the societies, the parties,...

is there even time?

In my case classmates were comfortably in last place. At undergrad level at LSE you only have 4 classes a week so there's not much opportunity to get to know people. The classes are mixed and contain students from different courses often from different halls or living elsewhere in London.

As for the second part I'm probably not the best person to answer that question as I'm still undergrad. However, in my halls I saw plenty of postgrads frequently going out and I became friends with quite a few although during deadlines they cut off contact with the outside world. Not too sure about how involved they were with the AU though.
Reply 8
In the two years I have been at LSE so far, I think it is difficult to get to know different people and to know them well. As the above poster has said, classes do not provide much of a chance to get to know your peers but I have made a handful of good friends to chat to. A lot of international students do hang around with fellow peers who went to their own college back home and have known them before. In my experience, my social life has been limited because LSE is so intense with its course content and many students work hard just to keep on top of their ever mounting work load.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending