The Student Room Group

NVQ becoming compulsory for Care Assistant role?

I have a bank contract in a private care home as a care assistant, which enables me to pick up shifts during university holidays and occasional weekends. A lot of the staff are very gossipy and someone recently told me that it was becoming "the law" that all staff must have an NVQ level 2 in health and social care or be working towards one from September to keep their jobs.

I would have been happy to do an NVQ, and in fact went to the assessment during my summer holidays last year, but was told that since I do not have regular contracted hours I am not allowed to start one as they need to be able to regularly assess you.

I understand that different care providers set their own standards but I wondered whether anyone could verify that this "law" will in fact be coming to pass or whether it is malicious gossip? The management is so transient that I don't really have anyone senior to ask about it at work. Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure whether it's law, but I've been looking for a care assistant job very recently and every vacancy I looked at said that an NVQ Lvl 2 in Health and Social Care was essential. I don't know if it's become law, but it's certainly very desirable
I've recently started a Community Care Assistant job and at our staff meeting last week this was bought up and as far as i know it will be made compulsory next year :smile: The company will be putting me through my NVQ though.

x
Original post by siobhancait
I've recently started a Community Care Assistant job and at our staff meeting last week this was bought up and as far as i know it will be made compulsory next year :smile: The company will be putting me through my NVQ though.

x

Thanks for your reply- do you know if that's compulsory at your place of work specifically or as law? I'm in a catch 22 situation if they won't let me do it, and I get my degree next year and want to keep this job through my postgrad- and the government apparently doesn't let you do an NVQ if you have a degree anyway... argh
Original post by rougelipstick
Thanks for your reply- do you know if that's compulsory at your place of work specifically or as law? I'm in a catch 22 situation if they won't let me do it, and I get my degree next year and want to keep this job through my postgrad- and the government apparently doesn't let you do an NVQ if you have a degree anyway... argh

I've got a feeling its becoming Law, a few years ago when I began my Level 3 Teaching Assistant course they explained how all practitioners needed to be qualified at Level 3 or be working towards one, I know its a different work environment but I think a similar thing is happening here.
Rougelipstick, would I be able to PM you? I'm having a bit of a dilemma at work and would like to talk to someone who does a similar job :smile:
Original post by siobhancait
Rougelipstick, would I be able to PM you? I'm having a bit of a dilemma at work and would like to talk to someone who does a similar job :smile:

Sure- can't guarantee I'll be any help but happy to try :smile:
Reply 7
They're going to have fun getting all the HCA's trained up in the hospitals. Hardly any of us have the qualification and if we have been doing the job for years, do we really need to do a qualification to let us do a job we could do before hand. Only way I see it working is if they get all new HCA's to come in with it which would extend recruitment process and put people off.
Azza007, are you a HCA with the NHS? If you don't mind me asking?
Reply 9
Yes I am, also do work for NHSP for some extra cash within my trust. Starting my nursing this September.
Original post by rougelipstick
I have a bank contract in a private care home as a care assistant, which enables me to pick up shifts during university holidays and occasional weekends. A lot of the staff are very gossipy and someone recently told me that it was becoming "the law" that all staff must have an NVQ level 2 in health and social care or be working towards one from September to keep their jobs.

I would have been happy to do an NVQ, and in fact went to the assessment during my summer holidays last year, but was told that since I do not have regular contracted hours I am not allowed to start one as they need to be able to regularly assess you.

I understand that different care providers set their own standards but I wondered whether anyone could verify that this "law" will in fact be coming to pass or whether it is malicious gossip? The management is so transient that I don't really have anyone senior to ask about it at work. Thank you :smile:

I am a teacher in Health and Social Care and I have been told that it is becoming compulsory this year that all staff working in any part of the health care sector will need to hold or be working towards a Level 2. I cannot find out information as yet as to when it will come in, but what will hit the employers is that they will have to pay 30% of the cost of course per learner, it would not surprise me if they do not pass this onto the learner to save them money! It has been free for many years to gain a level 2 and 3 but now due to increase in abuse in care homes etc the government are making it compulsory to hold and charging employers.

Personally I think its a good thing as it aids progression into another Level. What learners do not realise is that when you sign up for the course and you are registered, if you decide to later withdraw from the course you will not be able to get funding again for the same course.

This works across all care sectors, from care homes to hospitals, even if you have worked in that area for many years I believe you will still need to do the qualification. Lets face it if you have been doing the job for years it should be easy for you.

Good Luck
I've worked as a care assistant, support worker, one-to-one carer and a HCA and I don't have an NVQ. When I started out I was really excited about getting this free qualification whilst working but it turned out that I was exempt from taking it due to having an undergraduate degree (psychology). I've even offered to pay for it myself but I'm still not allowed to take one. I continue working in care and every now and again a new client will ask me why I haven't got an NVQ. I really hope I don't lose my job because they keep trying to bring in mandatory training which is something I agree with because when I first started I was thrown in looking after 6 vulnerable adults without any training or paperwork!
Original post by Polly 45
I am a teacher in Health and Social Care and I have been told that it is becoming compulsory this year that all staff working in any part of the health care sector will need to hold or be working towards a Level 2. I cannot find out information as yet as to when it will come in, but what will hit the employers is that they will have to pay 30% of the cost of course per learner, it would not surprise me if they do not pass this onto the learner to save them money! It has been free for many years to gain a level 2 and 3 but now due to increase in abuse in care homes etc the government are making it compulsory to hold and charging employers.

Personally I think its a good thing as it aids progression into another Level. What learners do not realise is that when you sign up for the course and you are registered, if you decide to later withdraw from the course you will not be able to get funding again for the same course.

This works across all care sectors, from care homes to hospitals, even if you have worked in that area for many years I believe you will still need to do the qualification. Lets face it if you have been doing the job for years it should be easy for you.

Good Luck

If you'd read my post properly you'd see that I have offered to do the NVQ and they wouldn't let me because I wasn't on regular contracted hours through they year. They've assured me now that as I get my degree this year I'll be exempt anyway.
I'm also in the same boat I went to university to do my degree in drama but chose to be a carer I love my job and have been there a year really getting fed up now of being told I can't do an nvq x
related to the Care Certificate requirements in the light of the Cavendish Review

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/236212/Cavendish_Review.pdf
Reply 15
I contacted Skills for Care today to ask the question, the charity involved in the Government roll out of the new care certificate, Skills for Care is the employer-led workforce development body for adult social care in England. Home of the National Skills Academy for Social Care, they offer workforce learning and development support and practical resources from entry level right through to those in leadership and management roles. They also produce the common induction standards that everyone has to do in the first 12 weeks, so I think they know their stuff. This was their reply:

Hi Sue,
Thanks for your enquiry to Skills for Care. We have heard learning providers saying similar comments but we believe it is nothing more than a sales tactic from these companies to increase uptake in qualifications.
Whilst we fully support the continuing professional development of all working in health and social care, including the use of national qualifications in this process, there is no formal requirement for this to be the case. The tactics being used by some learning providers appears to be very misleading.
We would recommend that you seek from these learning providers the legislation / government material that is indicating this requirement. We would be happy to look at this if it could be shared to investigate further.
Kind Regards, Rob Hargreaves
Reply 16
As a recent graduate who studied at Degree (Hons) Level so I could enter the field with all I believe is relevant ( bar certified manual handling training which I had 20 years ago when working in a care home anyway, I am absolutely flabbergasted to find that my degree means nothing Now requirements for NVQ are expected. Not only am I now face with over £45000 debt, which will mount up while I dont have earn enough to bring it down, I am being asked everywhere I go looking for employment to take a minimum wage while I take a Level 2 which I will have to pay for! While I agree having these qualifications do help, this means I could have done this instead rather than take a degree in the field. This means I have wasted time and I have wasted 45 grand not to mention my childrens time, years of sat at a computer and being up all night for nothing I am sorry in my circumstances I am failing to see the positives. although I have seen the last post and see that it is a sales tactic this is no good for me when every organisation seems to be dong it and I will in turn be forced to take a job at minimum wage as I cant be investigating companies which I need to see employment from
I realise this is an old thread but I am wondering if anyone can help. I got my NVQ level 2 in 'care' in 2004 and just at the end of the NHSP application process. Although my documents were checked on the day of the interview (and it was stated very clearly that if I had the wrong documents or not everything they need I wouldn't get to stay for the test and interview). I am now been told my nvq should be in health and social care. When I have googled a care nvq it just comes up with health and social care, and the units have different titles but cover the same topics. Can anybody confirm if they are the same? Sam
I have been working as a maternity support worker for the last 7 years within the NHS. I've been told I had to do the care certificate training which I have done but now I'm being told I have to undertake nvq training also. I already have an honours degree in diagnostic radiography. Should I have to undertake training at a lesser level and if I refuse can they sack me? Does anyone know.
Original post by Melaniej0711
I have been working as a maternity support worker for the last 7 years within the NHS. I've been told I had to do the care certificate training which I have done but now I'm being told I have to undertake nvq training also. I already have an honours degree in diagnostic radiography. Should I have to undertake training at a lesser level and if I refuse can they sack me? Does anyone know.

Why would you refuse? If you've done a degree a nvq will be a walk in the park?
The nvq is part of a government intiative ensuring care workers have a relevant qualification. Your degree is not really relevant to the area in which you're working.
Try to see if you will get funding for thus and if work will pay, as you already have a higher qualification the funding may be an issue.
To one extent it seems pointless when you have the hands in experience, but the theory work does help people's understanding and the reasoning behind why they do the actions they so within the work environment etc.
A nvq won't take long and should be easy enough for you to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending