The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Is Imperial College London prestigious?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MichelBraga
Sure, but the OP asked about prestige. Comparing UCL and Imperial in terms of teaching is like someone said, comparing the "blue colour with flowers". In some subjects Imperial is better, others UCL, and in others there's no comparison because Imperial has a limited teaching scope.

Would beg to differ on that. If you compare the subjects both Imperial and UCL offer, Imperial comes out top in every one. Their levels of prestige may be similar, but when it comes to science, there's no competition. UCL isn't particularly strong in science/engineering. It's much more known for arts subjects.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by dustz33
Prestige for Continental Europeans, Germans, Swiss and Austrians in particular;

Lower than whale **** at the bottom of the sea. Unlike LSE/Oxbridge, ICL is COMPLETELY unknown to the vast majority of continental european employers. We're talking big name engineering employers like Audi, BMW, Siemens, Mercedes Benz (Daimler). They issue "MEng" degrees, not MSci degrees, which means you will be paid like a community college graduate (Fachhochschule). I was pretty much flat-out told this by an executive at one of the above firms; German professor confirmed it.

If you're a continental, stick to RWTH Aachen and ETH Zürich. You're destroying value by attending ICL. Also, you'd be insane to want to work in the UK as an engineer, salaries are 50% of what you get in Germany and 30% of what you get in Switzerland, the engineering sector is in utter shambles in the UK. ICL is only good if you're main academic passion is mathematics (i.e. your writing skills are too bad for business/econ or you simply prefer maths to reading/writing) and you want to go into banking.

Having lived in Switzerland and France, I COMPLETELY disagree with that.

For info, more than 2400 continental Europe are studying in Imperial ie around 16% of the total student population.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by dustz33
Prestige for Continental Europeans, Germans, Swiss and Austrians in particular;

Lower than whale **** at the bottom of the sea. Unlike LSE/Oxbridge, ICL is COMPLETELY unknown to the vast majority of continental european employers. We're talking big name engineering employers like Audi, BMW, Siemens, Mercedes Benz (Daimler). They issue "MEng" degrees, not MSci degrees, which means you will be paid like a community college graduate (Fachhochschule). I was pretty much flat-out told this by an executive at one of the above firms; German professor confirmed it.

If you're a continental, stick to RWTH Aachen and ETH Zürich. You're destroying value by attending ICL. Also, you'd be insane to want to work in the UK as an engineer, salaries are 50% of what you get in Germany and 30% of what you get in Switzerland, the engineering sector is in utter shambles in the UK. ICL is only good if you're main academic passion is mathematics (i.e. your writing skills are too bad for business/econ or you simply prefer maths to reading/writing) and you want to go into banking.

Despite Imperial's famed course is engineering, investment banks have teams of quants from France and Germany who took their undergrads, masters and PhDs at Imperial.

Needless to say, the engineering grads are even more sought after, so I don't know how you came to your conclusion that Imperial is unknown in Europe.

MEng is more prestigious than MSci because it is a postgraduate degree, whereas MSci is only an undergrad qualification.
Reply 43
Like others have already said, Imperial may not be as much of a household name in the UK as Oxbridge, UCL or LSE, but if you are going in to finance, engineering or post grad science, employers love Imperial graduates. I don't why OP is so intent on discerning whether Imperial is more prestigious than LSE though, they are compeltely different O.o

(on a side note, literally no one calls it ICL, there are certain academics at Imperial who are very offended by it :wink: )
Original post by BioIz
Like others have already said, Imperial may not be as much of a household name in the UK as Oxbridge, UCL or LSE, but if you are going in to finance, engineering or post grad science, employers love Imperial graduates. I don't why OP is so intent on discerning whether Imperial is more prestigious than LSE though, they are compeltely different O.o

(on a side note, literally no one calls it ICL, there are certain academics at Imperial who are very offended by it :wink: )

I was surprised to find everyone in Singapore (on my exchange year) calling it ICL. Not one of them called it by "Imperial" :P .
From your personal experiences, has Imperial generally been associated with prestigue and repute from where you are from?
Imperial reputation wise is great for medicine and bioscience

Posted from TSR Mobile
a lot of haters here.

im pretty sure all engineers know about imperial. imperial and engineering are synonymous.
Reply 48
Original post by pateknautilus
From your personal experiences, has Imperial generally been associated with prestigue and repute from where you are from?

can I ask why you're so interested in this?
question is why can't I be. I just am generally. I wonder if people associate Imperial with prestige or repute in the UK and elsewhere, not in any specific field but just the brand name itself.
bump
bump

why bump? Posters have given you the same answer many times already.

Imperial is amazing for what it does (science, engineering etc.)

LSE is amazing for what it does (Econ, finance etc.)

you can't compare the two because they are in different fields but if we're talking about household names, then of course more people would have heard of LSE than Imperial because more people (average joe) would care about economics and politics than science
I guess he is just going to keep bumping until he gets an answer he wants to hear.

I'll end this thread once and for all then.

Yes, people associate Imperial with prestige or repute in the UK and elsewhere, not in any specific field but just the brand name itself.

No, people do not associate Imperial with prestige or repute in the UK and elsewhere, not in any specific field but just the brand name itself.

OP, if the answer you want is not one of those 2, you'll have to be more specific on what you want to hear. The guessing game has been going on for too long.
so is it prestigious in reputation?

You have 3 pages of subjective answers to your subjective question, is that not enough?

"Prestige" and "reputation" are very vague terms that could be interpreted in many ways, as you have seen throughout this shambles of a thread.
If you are looking for an assessment of Imperial's academic quality in comparison to other universities, then I advise you look at the Complete University Guide to compare it to other UK unis by subject. You can use Times Higher Education or the QS World Rankings (I prefer QS; I feel Times is biased towards American universities) to compare it to other universities on an international scale.
Beyond that, nobody can answer you. "Prestige" is a very vague thing; it's not very easily measurable on any empirical level, so every answer you are given will be utterly dependent on the subjective opinions and experiences of the people you are asking. How useful a degree from Imperial will be to you will depend on what you are looking for and where you are looking, and until you specify you will not receive any useful or comprehensive answers.
Reply 57
Yes but is it better than LSE or UCL?

What degree are you doing?

LSE and Imperial do different subjects anyway.

UCL has a higher range of subjects than both universities so take from that what you will.

Imperial best out of 3 for sciences, LSE doesn't have many if any science courses.
LSE best for Economics courses.
UCL has more range but is weaker than those two in their specialities.

That's basically how it goes..
So what about general reputation?
...are you serious, after 4 pages we have told you about the freakin general reputation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending