The Student Room Group

Planning GAP Year - It must not be too expensive

Instead of joining very expensive programs, it is incumbent on the student to seek diverse information and assimilate them for a better choice. Sometimes I monitor student comments and many have regretted ever getting on some GAP Year programs. It is very wrong to embark on GAP year with a rush decision. Students must be prudent enough to plan ahead of time. Working with a career office, I acquired the skill :smile: of doing so and I will share. More often, Students are not clear about what they wanted. This creates much doubt. It is simple, find the right persons. This Thread will offer as many help as possible.
Do not join a program that offers heaven and Honey !!!!!
I understand what you were trying to arrive at. But sometimes, I blame the institutions that these participants come from. The onus lies on them to educate students and their parents on how arrangements should be properly done. Some study Abroad offices are very lazy (excuse me for that word). it is their responsibility to keep the students well informed. I acknowledge some of them though. Some very good universities and colleges have Gap Year programs that they had established through an agency. This is much prudent.

Absolutely, students must know their calendar and the have the luxury of time to plan. Rush decisions are costly but their parents have the money so they dont care.
Reply 2
A bit of a tangent but at this current time, I don't believe a gap year to travel is a wise decision at all.
Reply 3
alright give me 2 very good reasons and what other options are available
Reply 4
Original post by Night stalker
I understand what you were trying to arrive at. But sometimes, I blame the institutions that these participants come from. The onus lies on them to educate students and their parents on how arrangements should be properly done. Some study Abroad offices are very lazy (excuse me for that word). it is their responsibility to keep the students well informed. I acknowledge some of them though. Some very good universities and colleges have Gap Year programs that they had established through an agency. This is much prudent.

Absolutely, students must know their calendar and the have the luxury of time to plan. Rush decisions are costly but their parents have the money so they dont care.

Are you suggesting that parents in the name of trying their best usually make unnecessary payments? Obviously, that might be true because some parents who got the fat accounts just as '' how much will that cost you'' then they pay and their children enter some improperly planned programs without realizing the purpose of it.
Original post by ldsbabe
A bit of a tangent but at this current time, I don't believe a gap year to travel is a wise decision at all.

How come?
Reply 6
Original post by lllllllllll
How come?

Well things are increasingly difficult and competitive for graduates, not to mention the increase in price in just about everything.

A gap year travelling from a recruitment perspective adds NO value to a candidate whatsoever. I think gap years should only be taken for work experience. Travelling can be done at any time e.g. taking a sabbatical from work. I think A-Level students should just crack on and get a degree under their belts before they start building mud huts in uganda.
Original post by ldsbabe
Well things are increasingly difficult and competitive for graduates, not to mention the increase in price in just about everything.

A gap year travelling from a recruitment perspective adds NO value to a candidate whatsoever. I think gap years should only be taken for work experience. Travelling can be done at any time e.g. taking a sabbatical from work. I think A-Level students should just crack on and get a degree under their belts before they start building mud huts in uganda.

:smile: lolzzzz
I think this is exactly what the thread starter ( Stewardly) was driving at. Some Gap Years are not worth it not even for the value of money. I acknowledge that these are very expensive trips which ought to be properly planned. That is why the Participants should be blamed. I am not sure all Gap Year programs include building mud huts in Uganda.
Some programs deserve the merit though. They are able to maximize professional internships and Language learning opportunities.
Thats why Gap Year must not be a RUSH DECISION.
Parents, career advisors etc should get involved in the planning process
Reply 8
the decision to get value or not is purely dependent on the participants' Choice. If they really want to get the best out of it, they will not just settle for some rubbish. At the age of taking a Gap Year, they should be aware of the importance of comparison. If no program on earth meets their criteria, They just quit the voyage. As simple !!
Try Go Abroad China and see for your self. The agents in China handle these things much professionally than any else destination. because of competition, all the Third party recruiting agencies in China are up the task. They plan properly and it works for some students. I will still blame some career and study abroad offices for liaising with those useless programs
I am for the campaign that the confidence in Gap Year should be restored as soon as possible. it is a powerful tool. The wisdom in the program is still alive !!! lets hail it
I will launch an article soon detailing a vivid comparison of programs by destination
@ stewardly and ldsbabe
What about the volunteering apsect of Gap Year?. I understand that Gap Year could comprise of Internship, Volunteering and Language Study. Some even add tour programs.
The question is, what is the person is made to build mud huts in Uganda and they feel fullfilled with it?
Reply 10
the decision to get value or not is purely dependent on the participants' Choice. If they really want to get the best out of it, they will not just settle for some rubbish. At the age of taking a Gap Year, they should be aware of the importance of comparison. If no program on earth meets their criteria, They just quit the voyage. As simple !!
Try Go Abroad China and see for your self. The agents in China handle these things much professionally than any else destination. because of competition, all the Third party recruiting agencies in China are up the task. They plan properly and it works for some students. I will still blame some career and study abroad offices for liaising with those useless programs
I am for the campaign that the confidence in Gap Year should be restored as soon as possible. it is a powerful tool. The wisdom in the program is still alive !!! lets hail it
I will launch an article soon detailing a vivid comparison of programs by destination
Reply 11
so sorry for the repost
Reply 12
@ Night Stalker,
This topic gets me panting for breath. I feel there is something wrong absolutely. Volunteering has lost its essence as well but I will not delve into that now. The fact that you go Uganda to build mud huts does not necessarily mean you are volunteering. The Essence of the project is experience. Some sacrifice Gap year on the alter of something called volunteering it pisses me off !!!

Quick Reply