The Student Room Group

Gradiuate employers choosing more lowly qualified applicants on self-interest

How much do you think this happens? I.e. They choose someone who is less qualified/experienced because they do not want to feel threatened or like they are teaching someone who is too able. This may happen when the graduate employer him/herself is much less more qualified themselves.

Scroll to see replies

Gonna move :smile:
It's already happening a lot. That's why people leave off their degree on their CVs to get menial work when they graduate and can't get a grad job - I did and I know people who had to.
Reply 3
Original post by somethingbeautiful
It's already happening a lot. That's why people leave off their degree on their CVs to get menial work when they graduate and can't get a grad job - I did and I know people who had to.

I have a RG Law degree with a 2.1 and honestly I think it has hindered many of my job apps (obviously not ones which ask for RG degrees though). Same thing with people who have Oxbridge degrees, even more so.
Original post by C.Almasy
I have a RG Law degree with a 2.1 and honestly I think it has hindered many of my job apps (obviously not ones which ask for RG degrees though). Same thing with people who have Oxbridge degrees, even more so.

I know how it feels. Did you manage to secure a job or are you still in the process of it?
Reply 5
I know how it feels. Did you manage to secure a job or are you still in the process of it?

No, I am still unemployed a year after graduating although I have learnt a lot and it is my fault really that I am not in work.

I am still holding out for the career I want. I do not want to become a headhunter/recruitment consultant/graduate sales executive but it seems that these days every man and his dog seems to be doing these jobs.

I have had final interviews with my choice career but it is a case of "so near yet so far".
Reply 6
This doesn't just happen at a graduate level, but many many years after too.
No, I am still unemployed a year after graduating although I have learnt a lot and it is my fault really that I am not in work.

I am still holding out for the career I want. I do not want to become a headhunter/recruitment consultant/graduate sales executive but it seems that these days every man and his dog seems to be doing these jobs.

I have had final interviews with my choice career but it is a case of "so near yet so far".

You'll get there, you just have to be persistent. I'm sure it's not entirely your fault - we're in the middle of a pretty tough economical situation unfortunately. Haha, yes I've been avoiding those jobs too - Reed/Indeed seem to be saturated with them.

You'll get there, you just have to be persistent. I'm sure it's not entirely your fault - we're in the middle of a pretty tough economical situation unfortunately. Haha, yes I've been avoiding those jobs too - Reed/Indeed seem to be saturated with them.

I agree with both of you! I made a post about it but all I've had people respond with so far is law (which you're doing) or to go for one of the massively oversubscribed graduate management schemes...but I can't even consider that as I got a 2:2

I have to agree with you there. I don't think this is an issue for graduate jobs ... because they want graduates. But while I was studying I did have a tough time even getting part time work, because they know it was only a stop-gap thing while I was at university. A few employers ive worked for expected me to skive university (wtf :angry:) to work for them in their retail stores. This obviously caused problems when I said to them 'I have told you I am at university during this time, and I am not going to skive to work'. This frequently happened week in week out for those jobs that change your working times each week, despite me giving them my timetable.
I had a tough time getting a job after uni with a 1st. I just think there's a lack of jobs and if the job does not require a degree, then they would rather take somebody who has experience rather than qualifications. Also, they may expect a graduate to up and leave when something better comes along and so they would rather not employ you. Tough times to be honest.
Original post by Hyrule Wayfarer
I have to agree with you there. I don't think this is an issue for graduate jobs ... because they want graduates. But while I was studying I did have a tough time even getting part time work, because they know it was only a stop-gap thing while I was at university. A few employers ive worked for expected me to skive university (wtf :angry:) to work for them in their retail stores. This obviously caused problems when I said to them 'I have told you I am at university during this time, and I am not going to skive to work'. This frequently happened week in week out for those jobs that change your working times each week, despite me giving them my timetable.

Employers do not run their businesses for the convenience of their staff and any other commitments they might have.
Original post by Old_Simon
Employers do not run their businesses for the convenience of their staff and any other commitments they might have.

Erm, okay, but they also can't force staff to work hours that are not officially contracted. You seem like a ****
Original post by orange crush
Erm, okay, but they also can't force staff to work hours that are not officially contracted. You seem like a ****

You need to be very flexible to survive in a modern labour force.
You need to be very flexible to survive in a modern labour force.

Maybe my employer spoils me then. I make myself unavailable to work during the week during term time.
How much do you think this happens? I.e. They choose someone who is less qualified/experienced because they do not want to feel threatened or like they are teaching someone who is too able. This may happen when the graduate employer him/herself is much less more qualified themselves.

It happens a lot in graduate sales roles.

Well you are stating the obvious here. :cool: They want me to flunk out of uni so their NMW job is the only important thing in my life ... just like the rest of their employees. :wink:

Although obviously it was never my lifelong ambition to make retail my priority, and they can sense that. I have a place on a graduate scheme now, so f*** those managers, I always feel better that my starting salary &package is more than my old managers pay grade :biggrin:
I don't think its limited just to graduates: Before I went to university I applied for what was a minimum wage job with a new printing company. I already had quite a lot of experience with all the software from a previous stint when I was self employed... More experience, it turned out, than the two young women who had started this company.... It was embarrassing; they just didn't have a clue!

And as for people leaving their degree and past job history of their CV. Yes it does happen. Again before I went to uni, I applied for a job with a large chain of national bakers famous for their greasy pies... just with GCSEs and A-Levels, they told me they could not hire me because I was over qualified!!
I also had the misfortune of going to the job centre before uni... they told me to take ALL my A-levels off, not mention the specific subjects or grades (which were As) for GCSEs. They also told me to take off my past self-employed businesses off. The job centre only knows how to find menial minimum wage work so are the experts at dumming down CVs.
My favourite was: "don't put on you have a GCSE in French... they'll think you can speak French" .
-errrr... .I can.... :/

At the end of the day I guess it just underlines the importance of adapting your CV for each job you apply for. If you're going for a job that a monkey could do... look like a monkey...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gonewandering
If you're going for a job that a monkey could do... look like a monkey...

haha :biggrin:
Original post by gonewandering
I don't think its limited just to graduates: Before I went to university I applied for what was a minimum wage job with a new printing company. I already had quite a lot of experience with all the software from a previous stint when I was self employed... More experience, it turned out, than the two young women who had started this company.... It was embarrassing; they just didn't have a clue!

And as for people leaving their degree and past job history of their CV. Yes it does happen. Again before I went to uni, I applied for a job with a large chain of national bakers famous for their greasy pies... just with GCSEs and A-Levels, they told me they could not hire me because I was over qualified!!
I also had the misfortune of going to the job centre before uni... they told me to take ALL my A-levels off, not mention the specific subjects or grades (which were As) for GCSEs. They also told me to take off my past self-employed businesses off. The job centre only knows how to find menial minimum wage work so are the experts at dumming down CVs.
My favourite was: "don't put on you have a GCSE in French... they'll think you can speak French" .
-errrr... .I can.... :/

At the end of the day I guess it just underlines the importance of adapting your CV for each job you apply for. If you're going for a job that a monkey could do... look like a monkey...

tbh I think the way the Job Centre encourages understating qualifications is some kind of national disgrace. Arguably leaving qualifications out is as dishonest as making up qualifications to include. More importantly the message it sends to job seeking graduates is really negative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending