The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

UEA's societies?

What sort of societies do UEA have? Any Harry Potter or Hobbit groups etc?

*Also, what kind of choices do you get when it comes to accommodation? Like, your preferences and stuff?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They have a quidditch society but besides that no other fandom groups. There is a list of all the society in link below but I don't know how up to date it is.
http://www.ueastudent.com/groups#club-society#all
As for accommodation I think I saw somewhere you can request same sex, if you contact the university but they might ask for grounds. Besides that I presume it is random
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by TheSmartOne
What sort of societies do UEA have? Any Harry Potter or Hobbit groups etc?

*Also, what kind of choices do you get when it comes to accommodation? Like, your preferences and stuff?

And you rank the halls in order of preference, so you can decide which features are most important but of course no guarentee you will get your top choices.
Reply 3
Original post by jelly1000

And you rank the halls in order of preference, so you can decide which features are most important but of course no guarentee you will get your top choices.

Sorry to but in, but would it complicate things if my top 3 preferences were mixed ensuite/standard?
for example my first choice was uni village ensuite, 2nd choice standard ziggurat and 3rd uni campus ensuite? Is allocation based more on what type of room than actual halls?
Original post by R-yan2903
They have a quidditch society but besides that no other fandom groups. There is a list of all the society in link below but I don't know how up to date it is.
As for accommodation I think I saw somewhere you can request same sex, if you contact the university but they might ask for grounds. Besides that I presume it is random

Thats very up to date, the university only updated that section at the end of the uni year.
Original post by CurlyC
Sorry to but in, but would it complicate things if my top 3 preferences were mixed ensuite/standard?
for example my first choice was uni village ensuite, 2nd choice standard ziggurat and 3rd uni campus ensuite? Is allocation based more on what type of room than actual halls?

No need to apologise! No it wouldn't, allocation is done by hall rather than by feature at UEA anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by jelly1000
No need to apologise! No it wouldn't, allocation is done by hall rather than by feature at UEA anyway.

Ohhh right okay, I thought it would be. I'm not too fussed anyway, just need an ensuite really!
Reply 7

Ohh okay! Will definitely look into the Quidditch society then, & thanks for the link.

We've got the Doctor Who society.

To be honest, the funniest one I know of is the Houmous society.
Reply 9
Has the doctor who one just been missed off the site then? I had heard it mentioned before but couldn't find any real trace of it online.
Has the doctor who one just been missed off the site then? I had heard it mentioned before but couldn't find any real trace of it online.

I would assume so because there are a couple of others I cant find on that either
AspirinPharmacist and I both know the Doctor Who soc committee, they're definitely real! :smile: also I think there is a gaming (like, Dungeons and Dragons)society, and there's a CosPlay group (not sure if they'r'e a soc, they probably are).
Nice photographs of some of the societies on Twitter: https://twitter.com/uniofeastanglia/status/493827864090148864
Reply 13
Hey guys,
Sorry to butt in, but I've just finished at the UEA so can hopefully answer some questions :biggrin:
As for clubs/societies, I know everyone has mentioned quidditch (which looks incredible!) but do remember that if you have an idea for a society which doesn't exist yet, you can set one up if there is enough interest!
Also for accomodation, you rank all of the options in order, and most people will get something which is at least in their top three! It doesn't matter what sort of mix you put, I think my top three included a shared room, a standard single and an en suite, so don't worry about being confusing!! If there are any issues within the first few weeks and you really hate your room, there is normally an option to shift around campus too, so please don't worry about halls!
Feel free to shoot any other UEA related questions my way! :smile:
J x
Reply 14
Original post by jft18

Feel free to shoot any other UEA related questions my way! :smile:
J x

I've been wondering, where do you guys do your weekly shop? I've looked on Google maps and there seem to be a few tesco express' around but I'm not sure how much they'd have in them...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I've been wondering, where do you guys do your weekly shop? I've looked on Google maps and there seem to be a few tesco express' around but I'm not sure how much they'd have in them...

Posted from TSR Mobile

The shop on campus stocks most things you'll need, but if you wanted to go elsewhere, there is a big aldi and a co op near by, as well as a lot of other supermarkets in Norwich.
Also, a lot of people find that once you get to know your flatmates, ordering a food delivery between you is the cheapest way to go and gets delivered to your door! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I've always ordered from Tesco online, Asda and Ocado also do deliveries - if you live in halls they get as near to your block door as possible. If you don't want to do an online shop then Waitrose is about a 20 mins walk from campus, Morrisons is at the other end of the 25 & 25A bus route and Sainsburys is just the other side of the city centre
Reply 17
What's it like for market places for buying fresh fruit and vegetables for it I do decide to go healthy? :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Reaalex
What's it like for market places for buying fresh fruit and vegetables for it I do decide to go healthy? :smile:

Absolutely huge market in city centre with a massive range of good quality fruit/veg.

Also there is a VegBox society which may interest you... you place your order over the weekend for collection on wednesdays... can order small or large boxes of fresh in-season fruit or veg, from local farmers which is delivered to campus for a great price - look out for it at the society fair in freshers week! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by jft18
Absolutely huge market in city centre with a massive range of good quality fruit/veg.

Also there is a VegBox society which may interest you... you place your order over the weekend for collection on wednesdays... can order small or large boxes of fresh in-season fruit or veg, from local farmers which is delivered to campus for a great price - look out for it at the society fair in freshers week! :smile:

Ahh Excellent thank you very much for taking the time to inform me :smile:
We have many fruit and Veg stalls up here in Newcastle upon Tyne that are surprisingly very affordable. It's good to know that I'll be able to find that down Norwich way :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending