The Student Room Group

How Should I Study IB Biology?

I started to study IB Biology book.But I don't know how ı should study?Actually the question is this:

''Should I memorise all the things?

For ex:

Duties of the smoot Endoplasmic Reticulum,Should I memorise it now or left it to month that before the exam?
SL or HL? SL is easy. Using a prep book and studying past exams should be more than enough.

HL is a WHOLE different story. Pure memorization.
Original post by ibslave1314
SL or HL? SL is easy. Using a prep book and studying past exams should be more than enough.

HL is a WHOLE different story. Pure memorization.

HL
I don't agree with those who say that studying Biology is pure memorization. It's true that you have to learn lots of names and some pathways, but the key to study biology is to understand what you're doing. Personally, I like to read my biology notes once before I actually study them, and I can swear that makes it a lot easier. I haven't used any book for IB Biology HL because my teacher gave us great notes, but you can get one if you feel more confident (the Oxford one is very good. Make sure you get the new one).

HL Biology is definitely not the easiest subject, but it is the most amazing one by far.
Original post by fibonacci24
I don't agree with those who say that studying Biology is pure memorization. It's true that you have to learn lots of names and some pathways, but the key to study biology is to understand what you're doing. Personally, I like to read my biology notes once before I actually study them, and I can swear that makes it a lot easier. I haven't used any book for IB Biology HL because my teacher gave us great notes, but you can get one if you feel more confident (the Oxford one is very good. Make sure you get the new one).

HL Biology is definitely not the easiest subject, but it is the most amazing one by far.

I have the Pearson baccalaureate HL biology book.Our teachers said that this is the newest.And about notes,

What kind of notes did your teacher gave u?
Are u studying HL or SL biology?
Do I have a chance to take these notes from u?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Normalİnsan
I have the Pearson baccalaureate HL biology book.Our teachers said that this is the newest.And about notes,

What kind of notes did your teacher gave u?
Are u studying HL or SL biology?
Do I have a chance to take these notes from u?

Thank you :smile:

I've already sit my exams this year, and I got a 43. I need to say, however, that I lost those 2 points in Biology (I think i'm going to ask for a remark. I didn't really need it, but my teacher was shocked with that result).
Those notes are both copies and diagrams, as well as personal notes. I would't have any problems in sharing them with you, but we'll need to look for an easy way, as they're too many sheets for me to scan.
I've already sit my exams this year, and I got a 43. I need to say, however, that I lost those 2 points in Biology (I think i'm going to ask for a remark. I didn't really need it, but my teacher was shocked with that result).
Those notes are both copies and diagrams, as well as personal notes. I would't have any problems in sharing them with you, but we'll need to look for an easy way, as they're too many sheets for me to scan.

if you have skype or facebook we can speak from there.At least you can give me the subject that we studied this first year of course if it's possible for you?

Oh, they're in german by the way! I sit the exams in english, but my classes are in German. Where are you from?

Regarding to the book, I bought the Pearson book for HL Chemistry and it found it was pretty good for some things, but I needed to complement it with my class notes in topics such as kinematics or thermochemistry, as the level was lower than required for the IB. (I got a 7 in Chemistry HL).
(edited 9 years ago)
if you have skype or facebook we can speak from there.At least you can give me the subject that we studied this first year of course if it's possible for you?

If you want I can try to send you everything, that wouldn't be a problem :smile:
Do you speak German?
If you want I can try to send you everything, that wouldn't be a problem :smile:
Do you speak German?

of course not :biggrin: I guess you know the Turks very well.They try to do things that they can not.But I'm not a classic Turk.So I won't try :biggrin: Thank you.By the way congratilations. 7-1 against brazil.That's a record :biggrin:
of course not :biggrin: I guess you know the Turks very well.They try to do things that they can not.But I'm not a classic Turk.So I won't try :biggrin: Thank you.By the way congratilations. 7-1 against brazil.That's a record :biggrin:

Sorry!! I have no problem with sharing my notes, I do it all the time at school :biggrin:, but I just don't have them in English.
Do you live in Turkey or in the states?
haha Yeah, well, there are many Turks in Germany, but we get along well. Germany became a very multicultural society after WWII, as thousands of emigrants came here to work and help rebuild our country after the war.
But yeah, some people here just relate Turks to Kebabs :smile:
And thanks! Brazil must be crying :biggrin:
Sorry!! I have no problem with sharing my notes, I do it all the time at school :biggrin:, but I just don't have them in English.
Do you live in Turkey or in the states?
haha Yeah, well, there are many Turks in Germany, but we get along well. Germany became a very multicultural society after WWII, as thousands of emigrants came here to work and help rebuild our country after the war.
But yeah, some people here just relate Turks to Kebabs :smile:

No problem about notes.I'll figure it out (ıdk how but I'll :biggrin: ) At the other hand,ı live in turkey,study at istanbul.I plann to go to TOKYO university.So ı MUST study hard.That's what I crying for (not really crying :biggrin: )But if it does not happen,ı planned to go to vienne university.İt's so easy to be accepted.And about the relating kebabs :biggrin: yeah that's true.And the last thing is ww2.I watched lots of films about it.My country and my culture didn't live it but I became a spiritual position as I lived it.I think these years are black years,whatever.As the our national slogan says YURTTA BARIŞ,DÜNYADA BARIŞ = Peace in mother country and peace in the world.Thank you for these good converstaion.:smile:
No problem about notes.I'll figure it out (ıdk how but I'll :biggrin: ) At the other hand,ı live in turkey,study at istanbul.I plann to go to TOKYO university.So ı MUST study hard.That's what I crying for (not really crying :biggrin: )But if it does not happen,ı planned to go to vienne university.İt's so easy to be accepted.And about the relating kebabs :biggrin: yeah that's true.And the last thing is ww2.I watched lots of films about it.My country and my culture didn't live it but I became a spiritual position as I lived it.I think these years are black years,whatever.As the our national slogan says YURTTA BARIŞ,DÜNYADA BARIŞ = Peace in mother country and peace in the world.Thank you for these good converstaion.:smile:

Thanks to you! You seem to be a nice guy.
If you work hard, you'll get it, but don't leave biology for the last day: I think it has the broadest curriculum of the whole IB and questions tend to be very specific. (I prepared HL Math in a couple of days and got a 7, but I got a 5 in biology after studying a lot).
I'm going to study medicine by the way, so any doubt you have on Biology or Chemistry, just send me a private message :smile:
Thanks to you! You seem to be a nice guy.
If you work hard, you'll get it, but don't leave biology for the last day: I think it has the broadest curriculum of the whole IB and questions tend to be very specific. (I prepared HL Math in a couple of days and got a 7, but I got a 5 in biology after studying a lot).
I'm going to study medicine by the way, so any doubt you have on Biology or Chemistry, just send me a private message :smile:

Thank you again.Bye:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending