The Student Room Group

Is it true if I'm dyslexic I can't be a vet?

I'm quite badly dyslexic I've just finished my GCSEs and required a reader throughout.
I am in top set maths and science but really struggle with other subjects.
I have always wanted to be a vet and couldn't imagine being anything else but people keep telling me I would never get through 5 years at Uni and I'd struggle too much with little help! :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zoefreemantle
I'm quite badly dyslexic I've just finished my GCSEs and required a reader throughout.
I have always wanted to be a vet and couldn't imagine being anything else but people keep telling me I would never get through 5 years at Uni and I'd struggle too much with little help! :frown:

Most Unis have student support offices etc, I know mine has a place for student who struggle more academically, e.g. those with dyslexia can go to get extra help/have stuff proof read. Is it at all possible to become a vet by going down a practical based course?

http://www.caw.ac.uk/courses/veterinary-nursing/
http://www.rcvs.org.uk/education/i-want-to-be-a-vet/
http://www.rcvs.org.uk/document-library/dda-guidance/ download that to see the information on students with disabilities, it has a section on dyslexia

usually for Uni/College courses you need a C in English at GCSE. If you don't get that, maybe look at doing animal care at college alongside English to get the qualifications. You could email various places you'd consider studying at to see what kind of support they could offer you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Unfortunately whatever the cause being able to read and write is a pre requisite for many jobs.
Does anyone know if a course that is practical based?? As I agree and think this would help!
Original post by AlphaDog0127
Most Unis have student support offices etc, I know mine has a place for student who struggle more academically, e.g. those with dyslexia can go to get extra help/have stuff proof read. Is it at all possible to become a vet by going down a practical based course?

http://www.caw.ac.uk/courses/veterinary-nursing/
http://www.rcvs.org.uk/education/i-want-to-be-a-vet/
http://www.rcvs.org.uk/document-library/dda-guidance/ download that to see the information on students with disabilities, it has a section on dyslexia

usually for Uni/College courses you need a C in English at GCSE. If you don't get that, maybe look at doing animal care at college alongside English to get the qualifications. You could email various places you'd consider studying at to see what kind of support they could offer you.

Does anyone know if a course that is practical based?? As I agree and think this would help!

To become a vet you need to study for 5 years at university. There are no alternatives to this.
Original post by Old_Simon
Unfortunately whatever the cause being able to read and write is a pre requisite for many jobs.

Surely just because i read slower doesn't mean I wouldn't be able to do the best for the animal in concern?
I hope it works out for you :smile: Sorry for that un-useful input haha. Best of luck :-)
Original post by Pectorac
To become a vet you need to study for 5 years at university. There are no alternatives to this.

My teacher has predicted me a C he said it would be tight but possible and I have done soooooo much work for English! So fingers crossed
and yes I had looked around and couldn't find any work based placements so I assumed that! :smile:
thank you for the links!
Maybe become a vet nurse? Veterinary nursing is usually 3 years.

Do as much research as you need to: contact unis, talk to teachers/careers advisor and visit open days.
You might wonder why people keep booking appointments for you to see their sick toga.
Moved to Disabled Students

http://www.rcvs.org.uk/education/i-want-to-be-a-veterinary-nurse/

"There are two routes to becoming a qualified veterinary nurse; either via vocational training or via a higher education qualification. Both routes lead to registration as a veterinary nurse.

Vocational training
If you are very practically-minded, and want to get “stuck in” to a job in a veterinary practice, vocational training is probably best for you.

The Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing is a vocational qualification designed to prepare veterinary nurses for professional registration on the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons’ Register of Veterinary Nurses. It is available on either a full-time basis or apprenticeship-style alongside a job in veterinary practice."

Seems you could train to be a veterinary nurse vocationally? Not quite the same thing I know, but you could always look into vocational based animal care courses and read up on what kind of careers it could lead to.
Original post by AlphaDog0127
http://www.rcvs.org.uk/education/i-want-to-be-a-veterinary-nurse/

"There are two routes to becoming a qualified veterinary nurse; either via vocational training or via a higher education qualification. Both routes lead to registration as a veterinary nurse.

Vocational training
If you are very practically-minded, and want to get “stuck in” to a job in a veterinary practice, vocational training is probably best for you.

The Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing is a vocational qualification designed to prepare veterinary nurses for professional registration on the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons’ Register of Veterinary Nurses. It is available on either a full-time basis or apprenticeship-style alongside a job in veterinary practice."

Seems you could train to be a veterinary nurse vocationally? Not quite the same thing I know, but you could always look into vocational based animal care courses and read up on what kind of careers it could lead to.

i think if I don't succeed in being a vet which would be do sad always wanted to be one nothing else! I would look at vet nursing but being a veterinary surgeon I would prefer after doing work experience and understanding the different roles more thanks!

If you get the grades, then there's no reason you can't become a vet. They offer lots of support for this sort of thing at university. I know a fair number of people who were medical students with dyslexia and are now doctors, so it's now down to you I guess to do your best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
i think if I don't succeed in being a vet which would be do sad always wanted to be one nothing else! I would look at vet nursing but being a veterinary surgeon I would prefer after doing work experience and understanding the different roles more thanks!

You should defiantly email some Unis you'd consider applying to and find out which would be the best route to take, e.g. A Level/College and what kind of support is available at undergrad level for someone with dyslexia.
Original post by Mushi_master
If you get the grades, then there's no reason you can't become a vet. They offer lots of support for this sort of thing at university. I know a fair number of people who were medical students with dyslexia and are now doctors, so it's now down to you I guess to do your best!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. With dyslexia, you can apply for Disabled Students Allowance, which can fund things like a laptop, dictaphone, mentor etc to help with your studies, and universities have lots of procedures and support in place to help those with dyslexia achieve their full potential. I think dyslexia is probably covered under disability discrimination laws, meaning you can't be barred from a job as a result of it - employers (unless they have very good reason why they can't) have to support you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by River Shadow
This. With dyslexia, you can apply for Disabled Students Allowance, which can fund things like a laptop, dictaphone, mentor etc to help with your studies, and universities have lots of procedures and support in place to help those with dyslexia achieve their full potential. I think dyslexia is probably covered under disability discrimination laws, meaning you can't be barred from a job as a result of it - employers (unless they have very good reason why they can't) have to support you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is right. There's also Access to Work when you get a job.
Yes you should be able to be a vet w dyslexia. It's counted as a disability under the equality act... You can't be discriminated against!
People who are blind have earned (human) medical degrees.
They did it, and you too with the appropriate support should be able to do vet med.
Original post by River Shadow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Be careful with that, DSA is changing and equiptment is no longer given automatically

Quick Reply

Latest