The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Anonymous
NJA - thanks :smile:

Abbie - thanks for your reply. If you don't mind me asking, where did you work, e.g. sales assistant, waitressing? I know that I can't go to uni doing the course I applied for...that's pretty much a definite no-no in my mind now. It's either pushing for and gaining the course I want to do for this year (but having to take it, as the uni would be going out of their way to accomodate me) or taking a gap year.

I got a job through the Year In Industry scheme. I wasn't sure what i wanted to do and thought i'd apply just to see what there was, originally for admin type things like human resources and logistics, but they saw i'd done science a levels so i ended up getting a job in as a research assistant in a lab! It was a great job - good pay, proper work (not just making tea) so good on the CV. i'd recommend having a look at them whatever course you're doing to get some ideas.

I applied and then deferred once i got the job so it would be different for you but all the unis were very supportive and regarded the scheme highly. If you can get something like that it's very worthwhile, not least because you'll graduate with a year's good experience putting you ahead of the game, but also your confidence will increase greatly!
hey
i felt a lot like this last year but despite my instincts i decided to go to uni last year. However i'm now having to retake the year and I know that was probably due to the fact that I wasn't ready and didn't settle in as well as I would have wanted to.
However my course is a hard one and my uni was 400 miles from home.

Latest

Trending

Trending