The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
In my experience: if you're not a girl, then I wouldn't bother.

I had - well, still have, occasionally use - a gaming channel, as I tried to get into that side of YouTube. I have over 1 million views total but I didn't manage to get into the industry, so yeah, it's not easy. I was averaging around 500 - 2000 views on my videos, but I realised that I absolutely despised CoD and didn't want to play it anymore. No one was watching any other games back then though, so it was CoD or nothing, and I went for nothing in the end. I could've probably kept going and got a partnership with Machinima, but I doubt it would've lead anyway. I don't personally think my content was in any way special or interesting tbh. It was fun while it lasted though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SuperFly
I don't have a channel! :frown: I'm way to self concious for that right now lol, and I imagine even though it is 'just making videos' must be hard thinking of a good idea, filming, editing, uploading especially if Youtube is only a side thing. But seeing as its summer and I have nothing to do maybe I should start... But I would need to but a DSLR. The cheapest and best one I found was the Canon 600D/T3i...

And guys guys guys, I don't want to start a Youtube channel to become famous or for the money and I know that chances are very low. I wanted to know your thoughts on someone doing 'rant videos' and crappy life experiences (w/ swearing etc) and weather a University would disapprove of this, especially if you were doing Medicine or something...more than anything it would be a form of therapy for me lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

So long as you make the rants entertaining and don't take inspiration from Kanye then you've got yourself a viewer :yy:
Original post by xDave-
In my experience: if you're not a girl, then I wouldn't bother.

I had - well, still have, occasionally use - a gaming channel, as I tried to get into that side of YouTube. I have over 1 million views total but I didn't manage to get into the industry, so yeah, it's not easy. I was averaging around 500 - 2000 views on my videos, but I realised that I absolutely despised CoD and didn't want to play it anymore. No one was watching any other games back then though, so it was CoD or nothing, and I went for nothing in the end. I could've probably kept going and got a partnership with Machinima, but I doubt it would've lead anyway. I don't personally think my content was in any way special or interesting tbh. It was fun while it lasted though.

Why do you say 'If you're not a girl, then I wouldn't bother?' Not trying to start anything, just wondering.

And a million views is whack, when was this? :smile:
Reply 23
I'm not in uni but I used to make vids of games/ football and swimming and edit them very well.
The editing took a lot of time and I just lost motivation after a few years (20 vids in 4 years lol) .
I know a few youtubers that do it while at uni.
If you really want to go at it then you will have to sacrifice some of your social/ night life for making vids.
Sprattyyy has like 350k subscribers and makes around £20-32k a year and he goes uni.
To be a successful youtuber: Mimic the content that a dozen other youtubers put out like zoella, pointlessblog etc , be CORNY as fuuu-, have ****ty indie-hippie music in the background, generally be a bit of a pussy, have a haircut that resembles a birds nest or large quiff. There you are.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by liomeeringca
Why do you say 'If you're not a girl, then I wouldn't bother?' Not trying to start anything, just wondering.

And a million views is whack, when was this? :smile:

Lol, it was just a joke and/or frustrated pop at the fact that there are lots of girls who upload awful content and then millions of guys watch them because they're pretty. It's no different to any other industry really, sex sells. For example, a "gamer" called iJustine has a huge fanbase despite producing appalling content that she puts about zero effort into. Why? Because she's attractive. She even got invited to E3 (which, if you don't know, is a huge gaming event where tonnes of new games are revealed) to host some of the events there, despite regularly showing how little knowledge she has of gaming in her videos. But, like I said, that's how the world works. Put a half naked girl on something and there'll be millions of guys after your product. I don't blame the girls at all, it's very wise of them to utilise their assets; I would if I could! It's the guys that are tiresome, I dunno how people are that desperate. Bleh.

I started making videos back in 2007, and have done it on and off since then. I lost all my fanbase when I stopped uploading Call of Duty though lol.
Original post by christianoginni
I started my channel just before I went to uni it was all good then. But once I started uni I kinda just forgot about it and was mostly embarrassed but now I wouldn't mind as much. One of my videos got 25,000 views which I think was awesome lol you should watch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Ln3fjtRUc

You're awesome! Keep at it :biggrin:
So starting a YT channel is something that I will DEFINITELY be doing as soon as I start Uni (in over a year). But I won't be doing it for fame, or for fortune (though I wouldn't mind if I got those along with it haha). I'll just be making videos as a creative output for myself. Talking about my experiences in life, doing music reviews, doing some DIYs and general chats will be mainly what I do - a healthy creative output that keeps me distracted from endless essays. I certainly won't let it get too intrusive into my life - but in reality even the most demanding unis (like Oxbridge etc...) only expect 40 hr weeks from you, so you'll have plenty of time to do videos.

I also plan to upload vlogs, just so that I can remember what my Uni life was like. I'm only gonna do it once and I want some nice blog that maybe one day I can look back on.

Equally, doing videos on getting into Uni / what Uni life is like will actually be really helpful for people who aim to go one day.

I certainly wouldn't recommend copying what other YTrs do. Their content is their own. Even though they do copy each other - they know each other - so it's different. You can do the same 'tag' videos, but just mention where you got it from. Copying them isn't great because you're not really like them - you are yourself and you can't live a lie on camera forever through your entire Uni life.

A bit on Youtubers themselves: The 'pointless' stuff that PointlessBlog, MarcusButler, Danisnotonfire, AmazingPhil, Zoella etc... do isn't really 'pointless'. I mean, if it was people wouldn't watch it. I do however agree that many lose their roots. Some YTrs become unbelievably obnoxious - luckily though it's American YTrs that tend to let fame go to their head. Joey Graceffa, Shane Dawson are just two really obvious examples that easily come to mind. Even some British Youtubers i guess... to an extent.

But I don't just wanna hate on these guys. In reality, part of my annoyance is just jealously (like they do have a super awesome job), but I actually really like them. To be honest, some of them act up to the camera. Once I bumped into Joe Sugg (ThatcherJoe) and Caspar Lee in IKEA, when they getting stuff for their flat, and they were both really nice... not obnoxious at all.

Frankly, this is why I tend to watch smaller Youtubers now-a-days and people who are at Uni actually have some great channels. Not to mention, they are really thankful for every single view, every single comment, every single subscriber. I even once got an inbox thank you for subscribing. I'm sure that even the big Youtubers are grateful, but they just very rarely say it, so it makes them look super arrogant and makes us viewers feel unwanted, thus I really like bigger YTrs who still show a big appreciation for their audience (e.g. Jim Chapman).

Wow... this post has been hella long and hella off-topic.

So in short - I'd recommend it, but treat it more like a hobby and an interest, rather than an actual career or something serious. And don't hate on big Youtubers, they are, on the whole, quite nice (especially Brit ones).
(edited 9 years ago)
I was thinking about doing it too. Only takes a few minutes of your time to make a video.
Hi there, I'm not a Youtuber however I am a streamer on Twitch.TV for the game 'League of Legends'. I average out at around 200-300 people on my stream, some days I have a few more and others I have a very select few people watching.

This might not be what you're asking about, but their are other ways of satisfying your need for others seeing your content, I'm not sure you would use Twitch for Vlogs per say, but it's possible (However with Uni internet, a high quality stream would be difficult. The software to get it running can be found for free and your pc settings don't need to be the highest quality either)
I love Pointlessblog (the YouTube channel and I find his videos very entertaining)! :sad:
Original post by christianoginni
I started my channel just before I went to uni it was all good then. But once I started uni I kinda just forgot about it and was mostly embarrassed but now I wouldn't mind as much. One of my videos got 25,000 views which I think was awesome lol you should watch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Ln3fjtRUc

That's a great video! I was smiling throughout:colondollar: You're cute, hope you don't mind me saying.:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 32
I was thinking about doing it for like Uni experience, as they're quite helpful for other people.
I think there are too many YouTubers becoming famous. I remember if someone had 2 or 3 million subs, it would be epic, but now it just seems 'normal'. Every one is becoming youtube famous these days. All they have to do is upload a beauty vid, pranks, game play or challenges, then BAM, they have a load of subscribers.
Having said that, i spend too much time watching youtubers, such as:
Superwoman
Tyler Oakley
Joey graceffa
Fouseytube
Nigahiga
graveyard girl...
However, there are some people which i don't understand as to how they got famous. For example, PewDiePie, he has like 25+ million subs..how? Good for him making a lot of money and he also donates to a good cause, but i don't understand how he managed to attract so many people...he screams down the mic and makes dirty jokes.....meh.
I guess it's just personal preferences.
Original post by fortunesfool
That's a great video! I was smiling throughout:colondollar: You're cute, hope you don't mind me saying.:smile:

Haha thank you!
Original post by ChickenMadness
I was thinking about doing it too. Only takes a few minutes of your time to make a video.

Yes, but I'd image it would take a lot of time to edit the video.
Original post by TheTranshumanist
Yes, but I'd image it would take a lot of time to edit the video.

Not if you just upload the video without editing. A lot of people do that.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Not if you just upload the video without editing. A lot of people do that.

True.
Original post by xDave-
Lol, it was just a joke and/or frustrated pop at the fact that there are lots of girls who upload awful content and then millions of guys watch them because they're pretty. It's no different to any other industry really, sex sells. For example, a "gamer" called iJustine has a huge fanbase despite producing appalling content that she puts about zero effort into. Why? Because she's attractive. She even got invited to E3 (which, if you don't know, is a huge gaming event where tonnes of new games are revealed) to host some of the events there, despite regularly showing how little knowledge she has of gaming in her videos. But, like I said, that's how the world works. Put a half naked girl on something and there'll be millions of guys after your product. I don't blame the girls at all, it's very wise of them to utilise their assets; I would if I could! It's the guys that are tiresome, I dunno how people are that desperate. Bleh.

I started making videos back in 2007, and have done it on and off since then. I lost all my fanbase when I stopped uploading Call of Duty though lol.

I'd say thats true for guys as well:
Joey Graceffa
Marcusbutlertv
Pointlessblog
Jim chapman
Joe sugg

But i think if you have a talent to be hilarious then guys can be popular... As long as your not hideous lol, eg KSI

But i find it so interesting how millions of random people just watch... Sometimes i think its people who have just a lot bad days/not many friends/depressing people in their lives and the videos make them happy, as if the person they are watching are their friends OR people watch the videos as if they are living life through the youtubers vlogs lol... I duno... The psychology of it is interesting to me... Also, most of the time, when i see youtubers meeting their fans in real life they either turn out to be kids or fat teenage fangirls lol... Soz but its trueee :P jk jk

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by SuperFly
I'd say thats true for guys as well:
Joey Graceffa
Marcusbutlertv
Pointlessblog
Jim chapman
Joe sugg

Yeah, for sure. Some people aren't even good-looking and yet still get millions of views on their awful content e.g. Whiteboy7thst. I dunno, I'll never understand it lol

Latest