The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not necessarily. Depends on the reasons why a girl/guy said no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by MylittlePlusle
I'm just wondering if no is said is the relationship over?

if I asked a girl to marry me and she said no I'd probably end it.

UNLESS!

i was just being a fool and asked her to marry me after like 2 years or something. and she said NO because she thinks its too soon but is pretty confident she wants to marry me one day.

i new a couple. my male friend joined the army and was going off but wanted to get married before he got deployed. she said know cause he might not come back and said that when he's discharged she will marry him.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Rakas21
If I loved a girl enough to ask her to marry me then I would likely consider it a rejection of our future together.

Original post by Stinkum
Yes of course, obviously. If you need to ask this question, then you must be very confused. It's a straight up rejection, a slap in the face. It means they don't want you.

Original post by matthewduncan
Yes.
lol at me loving a girl more than she loves me.
My ego simply would not allow it

Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Yes.

The girls here are living in fantasy land if they think that this isn't a deathblow to a relationship.

Original post by fojodef
if I asked a girl to marry me and she said no I'd probably end it.

Yep.

It's funny that most of the posters who said a 'confident NO' are women; the bolded part above sums it all up. The person who got rejected isn't the women here so it's quite easy for most of these female posters to say a 'confident NO'.
Original post by Rakas21
If I loved a girl enough to ask her to marry me then I would likely consider it a rejection of our future together.

Original post by matthewduncan
Yes.
lol at me loving a girl more than she loves me.
My ego simply would not allow it

Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Yes.

The girls here are living in fantasy land if they think that this isn't a deathblow to a relationship.

This. 100% this.
Just lol at proposing, wanting to spend your life with someone and finding out the feeling isn't mutual.

I strongly agree with the bolded part tbh. I just couldn't allow myself to carry on. I'd feel like a right dickhead lmao.
(edited 9 years ago)
No, it just means that they're not ready for marriage
Original post by kka25
Yep.

It's funny that most of the posters who said a 'confident NO' are women; the bolded part above sums it all up. The person who got rejected isn't the women here so it's quite easy for most of these female posters to say a 'confident NO'.

I may be female but I'm married to someone who didn't give up at the first setback. If someone wants to break up over a no then they really don't care about you that much, just about their own ego.
Reply 27
Original post by kka25
Yep.

I proposed. If he'd said no it wouldn't have been the end of our relationship by any stretch of the imagination.
Reply 28
Original post by parentlurker
I may be female but I'm married to someone who didn't give up at the first setback. If someone wants to break up over a no then they really don't care about you that much, just about their own ego.

Well, good for you. But I know loads who wouldn't waste their time if the woman says no; and that's why I think most men will just move on.
Reply 29
My friend said no to her partner twice and they're still together and living with each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the girl says no then they really don't care about the man as much as he cares about her. Why should the man stay with someone who doesn't care about them?
Bit pathetic imo.
No because on The Big Bang Theory, Penny said no to Leonard and they stayed together. :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by ChickenMadness
If the girl says no then they really don't care about the man as much as he cares about her. Why should the man stay with someone who doesn't care about them?
Bit pathetic imo.

That isn't necessarily the case at all. Obviously if you go around proposing to people you don't know, that might be quite likely to be the reason, but not if you're in a long term relationship with the person already.
Original post by Ronove
That isn't necessarily the case at all. Obviously if you go around proposing to people you don't know, that might be quite likely to be the reason, but not if you're in a long term relationship with the person already.

If you're in a long term relationship and they still don't love you enough to marry you, big red flag. imo
Original post by ChickenMadness
Bit pathetic imo.

Caring about someone and be ready to commit to doing so for life are slightly different. Someone who can't deal with a setback and overcome it isn't a man but a child so likely to be divorced later.
Original post by Stinkum
Yes of course, obviously. If you need to ask this question, then you must be very confused. It's a straight up rejection, a slap in the face. It means they don't want you.

Original post by kka25

Marriage is an extremely serious commitment, for both men and women. You have to both be absolutely sure your personalities are compatible in the long term, and that there aren't unpredictable issues that might come up later. This takes time, and should be based on logic as much as love. It's okay (and indeed sensible) to have doubts - it doesn't mean you don't love each other, or that you couldn't have an extremely happy marriage.

Yes, I'm a woman, and yes I completely understand how painful rejection is, particularly if you have gone to great lengths to make something nice. I have been rejected, and it really hurts. However, nobody should be pressured into going too fast. Making it a 'you must marry me or you don't love me' situation isn't helpful to either party.

That said, if you were expecting them to say yes and they don't then it's possible you had different ideas about the stage of the relationship and should talk. (This happens in both gender directions, it's only that one is more likely to end in proposal, by convention).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Octohedral
Marriage is an extremely serious commitment, for both men and women. You have to both be absolutely sure your personalities are compatible in the long term, and that there aren't unpredictable issues that might come up later. This takes time, and should be based on logic as much as love. It's okay (and indeed sensible) to have doubts - it doesn't mean you don't love each other, or that you couldn't have an extremely happy marriage.

Yes, I'm a woman, and yes I completely understand how painful rejection is, particularly if you have gone to great lengths to make something nice. I have been rejected, and it really hurts. However, nobody should be pressured into going too fast. Making it a 'you must marry me or you don't love me' situation isn't helpful to either party.

That said, if you were expecting them to say yes and they don't then it's possible you had different ideas about the stage of the relationship and should talk. (This happens in both gender directions, it's only that one is more likely to end in proposal, by convention).

Rejecting the other party, as has been mentioned by various posters, wouldn't make things easier as well. Unless the person is that particularly special, I don't see the relationship surviving. Of course there are a few cases that it survived, but those are the exceptions and as mentioned by other posters regarding the relationship ending or a 'deathblow' to it is still valid.

Caring about someone and be ready to commit to doing so for life are slightly different. Someone who can't deal with a setback and overcome it isn't a man but a child so likely to be divorced later.

To sum up; men are just like women; they are human beings with emotions. You're not ready, fine, but don't go around accusing men that they are a child for feeling hurt or 'can't deal with a setback' regarding this situation. The child here is the one who doesn't understand basic human emotions, and frankly, sexist.

Latest