The Student Room Group

GCSE Continuing with french

I have done a French GCSE and expect to achieve A/A*. But, I can't take French at A-level, and I really want to continue learning. Does anyone know any websites/options I can use so I don't forget much and keep getting better? I have looked and there are no evening classes I can take in my area :frown:
Thanks! :smile: x
Reply 1
Why can't you continue it to A-level?

If you specifically want to study the A-level, you can complete a distance learning course at a number of places (for example here or here), although that can be quite expensive.

If you just want to keep learning French generally, I hear good things about Rosetta Stone, which has an advanced French option. For an option on a budget, Bonjour may be a better option.
Original post by gwenax
I have done a French GCSE and expect to achieve A/A*. But, I can't take French at A-level, and I really want to continue learning. Does anyone know any websites/options I can use so I don't forget much and keep getting better? I have looked and there are no evening classes I can take in my area :frown:

Hi, I'm the same - took French GCSE and expected to get A* but can't take the A level (already taking 5 others).
I've been trying to keep it up a bit since exams finished by reading French books - I'm reading 'L'Etranger' by Albert Camus, but that's not for everyone, I hear it's quite difficult in English never mind French! Reading French can be painfully slow though so that might not be the best option!
Which A levels are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gwenax

There are lots of websites where you can talk to people in the language you want to learn. They talk back in English and it is free. Here is one:

http://www.conversationexchange.com/#searchbox
Read French articles. If you know anyone who speaks French, ask them to help you practise. Ask friends who take French A level to talk with you in French etc.
A great way to stay on top of/improve your French is to ask a teacher from the languages department at your school to set you up with with email of a French student or teacher from a school in France that you're paired with (if you are). If not, I'm sure between the entire langauges department there'll be someone who knows someone to put you in touch with.

This is what our A Level French class did to bridge the gap from GCSE to A Level and we all found it so beneficial as the other person is usually very helpful and tries to correct and improve your French as opposed to talking to people in exactly the same situation who aren't interested in your learning... just their own!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending