The Student Room Group

It's official, the UK is the gayest nation in Europe!

"Rainbow Europe Map reflecting the European countries’ legislation/policies that have a direct impact on the human rights of LGBTI people"

Source: rainbow-europe.org

What do people think of this, is the UK really as progressive as this might lead one to believe or is it merely indicative of a liberal/urban political/media elite pushing a pro-gay legislative agenda (whilst a significant proportion of the rest of society remain rather more Putin-esque in their values/outlook)?

Have people experiences of any of the other countries featured that differ from the indicator given?

France, Spain, Greece = consistent with what I know of them, and we all know the Irish/Italians are a wee bit 'Vatican' at times, but their ratings still surprised me!

EDIT: UK has now slipped from top spot!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think Turkey is higher than 14% lol
Probably around 30%
Reply 2
'whilst a significant proportion of the rest of society remain rather more Putin-esque in their values/outlook'

Do they, I don't think that's the case at all, sure they exist, but they're a minority I'd say.

The negative replies on this forum to this are inevitable, but I'm sorry, I really can't see how something that shows the UK to be a tolerant and progressive country to be a bad thing, homophobia, intolerance and discrimination based on sexuality are not good things at all and should have no place in a modern society.
Great news :h:

All we need now is more tolerance, I STILL hear people being overly homophobic and it's such a shame. We are getting better though, slowly but surely.
Woohaaaaayyy!!!!!!

I don't quite understand the percentage though.
You call us the gayest nation...I would say the most fabulous :wink:
Germany surprises me a bit - but then I always forget how catholic it actually is. I'd be interested to know what the remaining 16% consists of - maybe because NI doesn't have full equality yet?
I'm surprised Scandinavia and the Netherlands are lower than the UK.
Reply 8
Original post by andrew2209
I'm surprised Scandinavia and the Netherlands are lower than the UK.

Tolerance of the extremely camp celebrity (I can only think of one here but then I don't really watch reality TV etc) seems lower here than in the UK. I am surprised that it's only 60% though, while not being surprised that it's lower than the UK.
is that map saying that 82% of us are on the other bus ?
I have always liked Monaco! It is a beautiful country.
Original post by the bear
is that map saying that 82% of us are on the other bus ?

Technically, that would be 18% on the other bus. :tongue:
Original post by Mutleybm1996
We also have one of the highest immigration rates and in a few years white british will be the ethnic minority. Doesn't mean we all like it but there's nothing we can do, it's the decision of those in power.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ummm
Is that really relevant?
Also source?
Original post by ConsiderScience
Also source?

He pulled it out from his backside.
Original post by Ronove
Tolerance of the extremely camp celebrity (I can only think of one here but then I don't really watch reality TV etc) seems lower here than in the UK. I am surprised that it's only 60% though, while not being surprised that it's lower than the UK.

You're right. And as you know from living in Sjælland us Nordics aren't as "progressive" as is the common conception. Norway and Sweden, once past the more populated south is quite conservative. Especially in ideals of family role, societal roles etc
That's pretty gay, if you ask me.
I wonder if Belgiums high score is down to the European Parliament and all the MEP's that work there.
yay!!
happy that we are increasingly tolerant but really what does this map even mean?
For all this country's faults, we are quite a tolerant society and this news doesn't surprise me very much.

But apparently, some UKIP supporters are building an ark to save themselves from the coming floods.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending