The Student Room Group

Panic Attacks

Earlier this evening after a spout with my mum (It wasnt really a fight just emotions are very high at the moment), I started crying to the extent That My breathing got extremely fast and I couldnt even catch my breath and all I seemed to do made the situation worse. This continued for 10 Minutes intill I finally could stop my breathing and settle down, Afterwards my mum seemed to think I suffered a Panic attack something Ive never had before. However With everything thats going on at the Moment family wise Im scared this might happen again and It was one the scariest experiences of my life. Is there anyway to stop these/Prevent it comming on? Or at least try and come down from them faster.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Reply 1
I've gotten exactly what you've described, never thought they were panic attacks though, i thought that my asthma was triggered by the crying, so just took my inhaler. Are you asthmatic? If so taking the inhaler can help
Relaxation exercises. You need to learn to calm yourself down, tell yourself that you're ok and in control. If it gets worse, getting some sort of professional help is a good idea. :smile:
Reply 3
You know you coped through this one, so use that to calm yourself next time. It's natural to think you're going to die and things, but you didn't this time, so why would you next time?

Breathing into a paper bag will help if you have one handy.
Reply 4
Anonymous
Earlier this evening after a spout with my mum (It wasnt really a fight just emotions are very high at the moment), I started crying to the extent That My breathing got extremely fast and I couldnt even catch my breath and all I seemed to do made the situation worse. This continued for 10 Minutes intill I finally could stop my breathing and settle down, Afterwards my mum seemed to think I suffered a Panic attack something Ive never had before. However With everything thats going on at the Moment family wise Im scared this might happen again and It was one the scariest experiences of my life. Is there anyway to stop these/Prevent it comming on? Or at least try and come down from them faster.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Relaxation when you feel a panic attack coming on is the best thing you can do, thats easier said than done i know i use to suffer panic attacks and when there so sudden the last thing on your mind is relaxing.
Anyway when you feel one coming on sit down or lie down and take deep breaths in through your nose then breath out slowly through your mouth.
Dont rush it just do it slowly, also talking to someone about your problems will help to as it will stop so much tension building up
Reply 5
i used to get them alot as i have anxiety problems, when i was younger it used to be a major problem as i couldnt control my anxiety problems

the paper bag thing is a good thing but if you dont have 1 try breathing like your about to give birth lol
deep breaths in and out and try to think calm thoughts

if you cannot sort it yourself and get them again i suggest going to see someone!
Reply 6
i get that and find breathing into a paper bag and then trying to sip water (if you start choking obviously stop and breathe into the bag again) are the only things that can slow my breathing down so that i can eventually stop it altogether. just remember that it IS within your power to stop it, that you've done it before and that you can do it again. also, have you tried bach's rescue remedy? it's a natural remedy that's meant to calm you down, a lot of people seem to swear by it. it comes in a little yellow bottle, you can get it from most chemists.

Latest

Trending

Trending