The Student Room Group

South East Asia during the wet season?

I'd just like to hear from people who have been there what it is like out there around August/September time?

I'm headed to the Philippines, but if you've been to other near-by countries like Thailand, Vietnam etc, let me know how they where as I might not be in the Philippines the whole time and I'm sure the weather isn't all that much different anyway.

Also let me know how long you were for, it isn't much use telling me it rained constantly the whole time you were there is you had a 2 day stop over in Bangkok for example. Or if you had a week of no rain before flying to somewhere else. So the length of time is quite important.

Thanks guys :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
I grew up in Singapore, travelled a lot to Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia.

TBH I prefer it more during the rainy season, less haze as all the peasants do tend to practice slash and burn agriculture. Also means everything is nice and green plus much cooler.

It rarely ever rains non-stop for days, usually it is heavy rain for several hours then it stops. One thing for certain life goes on there so rain or shine there are still stuff to do.

The last time I was in Vietnam it actually snowed. Was quite the mess thought not too different from England when it snows :biggrin: Loads of traffic congestions and very slippery surfaces everywhere and yes it was freezing cold as I didn't actually bring anything to keep warm. Was there for a month.

This year seems to be an unusually dry year in Thailand and supposed to be that way till October.
Reply 2
Malaysia and Singapore in monsoon season are very regular. It generally rains like cats and dogs for one hour exactly in the afternoon, then goes back to normal.
I am here now and have been since May :smile: It's low season at the moment in a lot of places, but I quite like it! Everything is cheaper, and you can haggle for everything from buses to rooms as hey just want places filled. I have had some really rainy days, but mostly its just a few hours a day then its nice again. Only once has it rained non stop for like 3 days... Also usually in Thailand if the east coast is very rainy, the west isn't so bad and vice versa :smile: I know it's not the same time of year but I say go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest