The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I've just got in this year (unconditional yay) so I haven't started yet, but I could give you advice on applying ect :smile:
Reply 2
Hi, That's amazing, congratulations!

What is the application process with interviews and did you apply with full alevels or predicted A2 grades?
I currently hold an Engineering foundation year
offer from Nottingham (BCC). If I reject the offer and take a gap year to apply for BM6, can I reapply to Nottingham for the foundation year again as a back up or would they just reject me taking into account that I previously rejected them?
Original post by serotonin.
If you want my honest opinion, unless you really disliked the vibe of Nottingham, which I doubt since you are replying there, then you should have taken that place.

Nonetheless, since that's now done, the best thing really for you to do is contact Nottingham to check their re-applicant policy. Maybe say in the email, you rejected your offer in order to confirm that medicine is right for you. With that said, they shouldn't really discriminate against you.

Good Luck.

Thanks for your help.
I haven't yet rejected nottingham, just thinking about it.
May ask what led you to doubt your place at Nottingham? You don't have to answer, I'm just being nosey and I might want to apply there...

Congrats for getting in by the way!

Hey, no problem.
After I finished my AS year I was considering to apply to this BM6 course and so went to the careers in my College. They discouraged me from applying by saying that everyone applying would have A*s at GCSE and top A Level grades and I would stand no chance. They influenced me to apply to engineering and so I did. I thought that now I have applied to engineering it should be easy to forget about medicine. But as feared, I just couldn't stop dreaming about medicine and couldn't see myself doing anything else. Here I am now thinking abouy applying but not sure if the careers people are right about me having no chance in getting into this course.
Silly me, I misread the original post. I thought you had an medical foundation degree at Nottingham offer. Silly me. Since it's a different course completely, they would not discriminate against you if you're going apply for the foundation medicine course in Nottingham,

In my opinion, reading this post, you should definitely apply for medicine as seem passionate about it. I am in a similar position where due to personal reasons I was unable to achieve the grades required for normal route. What I love about the foundation programme is that it enables people who would not be able to due so through other means the ability to fulfill their passions.

Applying for foundation is quite high risk as it very competitive, arguably more than normal route but if your'e passionate to do medicine, I believe you would eventually get into it, whether it be straight route or graduate route.

What I don't understand is why teachers and some universities don't appreciate the fact that some people may not have a straight path in life. I feel it's definitely more character building and make doctors more human.

Well enough of my ramble.

If you feel that what you want to do, do it and don't let people persuade you otherwise.

Thanks a lot for your opinion. I totally agree to everything you have said.
But what chance would I have of getting an offer if I get BBC when others would surpass the minimum? Surely they will be at an advantage compared to me?
Silly me, I misread the original post. I thought you had an medical foundation degree at Nottingham offer. Silly me. Since it's a different course completely, they would not discriminate against you if you're going apply for the foundation medicine course in Nottingham,

In my opinion, reading this post, you should definitely apply for medicine as seem passionate about it. I am in a similar position where due to personal reasons I was unable to achieve the grades required for normal route. What I love about the foundation programme is that it enables people who would not be able to due so through other means the ability to fulfill their passions.

Applying for foundation is quite high risk as it very competitive, arguably more than normal route but if your'e passionate to do medicine, I believe you would eventually get into it, whether it be straight route or graduate route.

What I don't understand is why teachers and some universities don't appreciate the fact that some people may not have a straight path in life. I feel it's definitely more character building and make doctors more human.

Well enough of my ramble.

If you feel that what you want to do, do it and don't let people persuade you otherwise.

Also I meant to say if I reject nottingham engineering this year and reapply for the same course(engineering) at nottingham not medicine foundation at nottingham. I want to do this as a backup incase I get rejections.
Personally I haven't applied yet but from what I've been told in regards to Southampton is that they treat everyone the same once they fulfil the minimum entry requirements. So even if you got A*A*A* and fulfil the elegibilty criteria, you still be treated the same as a BCC applicant. What they used to distinguish between applicants is personal statement and interview performance not academic.

Thanks for your help!
This really boosts my confidence level.
Hopefully we both see each other Sept 2015 in southampton studying medicine :biggrin:
I hope you note that you can write only only one personal statement (however very few allow you to email a supplement ps) and so for catering two completely different courses in 47 lines is very hard and is not a good idea to do.

I think before you do this, do you actually want to do engineering or you're applying for the sake of it.

I want to do medicine so I guess it's just for the sake of it. However, many of my friends have recieved offers for Engineering even though it was their 5th choice as they applied for Medicine. Their personal statement was based on Medicine as well.
GCSE's: 2A's 3B's 5C's 1D

A level predictions: BBC

I've got an extenuating circumstances letter which I don't know if they will accept it.

So would I have a good chance of getting an Interview and ultimately an offer if I apply to the BM6 course.

Assuming I have an excellent PS.
Original post by hopefulmedic786
GCSE's: 2A's 3B's 5C's 1D

A level predictions: BBC

I've got an extenuating circumstances letter which I don't know if they will accept it.

So would I have a good chance of getting an Interview and ultimately an offer if I apply to the BM6 course.

Assuming I have an excellent PS.

What is your D in GCSEs? And are you taking bio/chem?

The interview is based entirely on your personal statement so it depends on that!

Also I meant to say if I reject nottingham engineering this year and reapply for the same course(engineering) at
nottingham not medicine foundation at nottingham. I want to do this as a backup incase I get rejections.

As someone else said, your PS will have to be 100% medicine to be in with any chance.

Thanks a lot for your opinion. I totally agree to everything you have said.
But what chance would I have of getting an offer if I get BBC when others would surpass the minimum? Surely they will be at an advantage compared to me?

Not at all. Southampton have their minimum requirements and as long as you meet them, your grades are no longer considered. If they wanted 4A*s they'd ask for it. Someone with BBC is at no disadvantage to someone with A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*.
Original post by mangomango
Hi,

I decided to post this thread for the BM6 medical course. It feels very competitive as there are only 30 places. Does anyone have any advise, experience or handy tips for the selection process, interviews or personal statements?

LOADS!

Interview is based entirely on personal statement and they will interview around 96. There were 585 applicants this year so competition is tough but someone has to get an offer.

There are 40 offers and the interview has 2 parts:

Individual interview - This is based on your personal statement (so no stretching the truth). It is 2 members of staff (admission team, lecturers, doctors) and you for 20 minutes. If you mention a lot of science in your PS, they'll ask about it otherwise it is not a test of how much you know. It's a case of getting to know you. It's really relaxed and a lot of people seem to enjoy it!

Group interview - This is in groups of 8 - 10. No preparation needed or really possible. You will be given 5 minutes to prepare when you're given the task, and then as a group you perform the task - usually a discussion. It's not about being the loudest, it's about getting your opinion across and showing you can back it up. This also lasts 20 minutes.

Your interview + your personal statement decide on your offer or not.

UKCAT you have to take but it's only used to decide between two similar candidates for offers.

Personal statement - all the usual stuff applies - be reflective (SO IMPORTANT). But the uni has a list of 3 non-academic criteria on their website. This is what they mark your PS on.

If II think of anything else I'll come back :P
Original post by Neostigmine
What is your D in GCSEs? And are you taking bio/chem?

The D was in Business Studies.
Yeah I've studied Biology and Chemistry.

The D was in Business Studies.
Yeah I've studied Biology and Chemistry.

Fantastic! Yeah, all down to your PS then :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
[QUOTE="Neostigmine;48615081"]

Fantastic! Yeah, all down to your PS then :smile:

Ok thanks a lot 👍
There is a new change to the entry requirements:-

You must satisfy three of the eligibility criteria listed below in order to be eligible for the BM6 programme, and you will be expected to provide documentary proof.

first generation applicant to higher education

parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit

young people looked after by a Local Authority

in receipt of a 16-19 bursary or similar grant

in receipt of free school meals in Years 10-13

living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

Original post by PriyaPaul
There is a new change to the entry requirements:-

You must satisfy three of the eligibility criteria listed below in order to be eligible for the BM6 programme, and you will be expected to provide documentary proof.

first generation applicant to higher education

parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit

young people looked after by a Local Authority

in receipt of a 16-19 bursary or similar grant

in receipt of free school meals in Years 10-13

living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

:yes:. That was for this year as well.

How is everyone getting on with personal statements then?
Original post by Neostigmine
:yes:. That was for this year as well.

How is everyone getting on with personal statements then?

Haven't started it incase I flop and don't get BBC grades.
Haven't started it incase I flop and don't get BBC grades.

That's fair enough. Have you at least started thinking about it? These things take a lot of time and tweaking. Even if you just form a basic outline it is better not to rush it :sadnod:.

What year are you in?

A really good start is to lay bullet points out under the headings:

Why medicine? (paragraph)

Work Experience (This and volunteering should make up the main bulk of your statement, even if you don't have a lot of placements)

Volunteering

Extra currics (couple of sentences)

Summary (couple of sentences).