The Student Room Group

Get into good uni with bad AS results but good A2 results?

Hey guys, I've asked around about this, but I really want a definitive answer.
For GCSEs, I was a straight A*/A student. However, for AS levels, even though we haven't gotten our results back yet, I'm sure I messed up, because I was trying to wing and revise last night for every exam. I think I may have gotten BBCC or something like that. Of course, these grades are nowhere near to those expected by the Unis I want to apply to, such as LSE or Nottingham etc.

What I was wondering is, do even if I get results below their required grades, do I still apply for these good unis?

Or do I apply for unis with lower required grades? Next year I'll retake the AS exams I messed up on and actually revise for them, and I know I'll come out with As and A*s after A2, but then what do I do?

Like, if, say, LSE denied me from my AS results but I retake and get As and A*s at A2, will they still accept me? Or if there's no spaces or something, am I able to take a gap year and apply with my A2 results the year after.

I'm kind of worried because I know it's my fault I messed up my AS results, and I know I won't do the same for A2. Any help is appreciated, thanks :smile:
I would suggest apply to one or two universities above your grades because it might be hard to get places. That being said if you have a strong personal statement and work expeirence it could help loads. In my school one person got CCCD at AS, got an offer from exeter (AAA). Another got BBCE and got an unconditional from leister and an offer from UCL (AAA) so it is definitely worth a shot, especially if you get good predictions as well, just realise with bad AS grade it might be hard so apply to some universities around the grade level you got :smile: Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Munrot07
I would suggest apply to one or two universities above your grades because it might be hard to get places. That being said if you have a strong personal statement and work expeirence it could help loads. In my school one person got CCCD at AS, got an offer from exeter (AAA). Another got BBCE and got an unconditional from leister and an offer from UCL (AAA) so it is definitely worth a shot, especially if you get good predictions as well, just realise with bad AS grade it might be hard so apply to some universities around the grade level you got :smile: Good luck!

Yeah, I was planning to apply to one or two unis around the AS grades I get, but I know that my A2 results will be a lot higher than what I'll be predicted this year. I wouldn't mind taking a gap year and applying with my A2 results anyway, if this is a choice I could take?
Reply 3
Original post by AXiS
Yeah, I was planning to apply to one or two unis around the AS grades I get, but I know that my A2 results will be a lot higher than what I'll be predicted this year. I wouldn't mind taking a gap year and applying with my A2 results anyway, if this is a choice I could take?

I'm more or less in the same position and I was considering adjustment, but the only thing that puts me off is the fact I may not get the accomodation i'm after.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
What course?

Majority if unis make a lot more offers than they have places so it's really common to see people get offers with AS grades below par

Look through your uni websites to see if third year / gap year students are disadvantaged (sometimes they are to reduce numbers but not to say that you still can't get in)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending