The Student Room Group

Did your parents influence your choice of university or course?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
That is the crux of it - we are all at differing stages of being willing to admit that our parents may have a point!

Though some parents do seem to be fairly unreasonable in all sorts of ways. I think that a lot of the temptation to control is simply borne of fear for their children's futures and a dread of them leaving home, i.e. well-intended. Some will be down to financial pressures.
As someone who likes to have a plan and be organised, I have found it quite hard to get used to idea that I don't know what's coming next for my child - it's not his firm choice anyway, track is alive and well!
Reply 81
Yes, my parents are control freaks.
Original post by albee
That is the crux of it - we are all at differing stages of being willing to admit that our parents may have a point!

Though some parents do seem to be fairly unreasonable in all sorts of ways. I think that a lot of the temptation to control is simply borne of fear for their children's futures and a dread of them leaving home, i.e. well-intended. Some will be down to financial pressures.
As someone who likes to have a plan and be organised, I have found it quite hard to get used to idea that I don't know what's coming next for my child - it's not his firm choice anyway, track is alive and well!

Also, after a career lifetime of parents' evenings, I know very well that there are always two sides to every story.
My parents had no influence over Unis as they were just pleased I decided to go to Uni as none of my direct kin went any further than O Level. However, my great uncle did help me get a tour round Bristol University's dental hospital, influencing my decision to apply for Bristol, which didn't work out. But it all worked out well in the end because I chose Cardiff and feel I made the right decision!
They were supportive but never pushed me towards anything, it was alwas my choice but they were there if i needed them
Reply 85
I actually didn't talk to my parents at all about applying for university. I remember asking my mum to write a cheque for UCAS and eventually telling her what I was applying to do.
My Tutor was a pain though with the personal statement - hence I ended up changing what I was applying for.
But in the end I applied for universities which were close to BF and other friends - which I actually regret now. But ah well *shrugs* :smile:
Yeah.
yes
(edited 9 years ago)
It was said I could start the following day, the following week or in September. I was 4 and this was for infants' school. I told the lady who brought the news that I wanted to start the following day. My mother said that then she would have to get my coat washed.

From that moment onwards, every decision about my education was always mine alone.
Influenced my choice of uni to an extent (though it was still mainly my own choice), but not the course.
only insofar as encouraging me to not be afraid of taking a risk and aiming high. Supportive is probably a better description.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending