The Student Room Group

World Cup 2014 Final: Germany vs Argentina

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The reichstag will rüle ze final

But seriously, I'm predicting at least 3 goals by them, they're just a perfect team this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by KingMessi
'People who claim Chelsea can get past Barcelona [2012] are simply deluded'
'People who claim Chelsea can beat Bayern Munich in their home ground are simply deluded'
'People who claim that Wigan can beat Manchester City are simply deluded'
'People who claim that Costa Rica can get out of their group are simply deluded'

Do you see the problem with your statement yet? There is an important difference between recognising that Germany are favourites - which they obviously are, there's nothing interesting or profound about recognising that - and acting like it's going to be a landslide - which it probably won't be.

Only let in three goals this tournament.

Exactly! Its far more deluded to say Germany will definitely win as if Argentina is some small no hoper country when this is football we're talking about, if I had said Costa Rica would top that group, or had said the Netherlands would walk over Spain or had said Brazil will lose 7-1 in the semi-finals, I would have been called deluded, yet those things happened (I'm not saying I did predict any of those though, I don't think anyone in the world could have predicted any of those 3 occurring!).

Of course Germany are clear favourites after their semi final victory and Argentina's unconvincing performances on the way to the final even with some very kind draws, but Argentina are also strong in defence and sometimes in football all it takes is one little mistake somewhere or one moment of Messi magic, and a surprise result could come.

My prediction is 3-1 to Germany, but like I said, this being football, it may very well not go as expected.
Just me who doesn't care about the whole Messi/Ronaldo debate? I don't see why people get so worked up over it.
My head's been telling me that Germany will win but I just can't help but to feel that, if Argentina do win tonight, it will see the crowning of a new "Best player of all time" in Messi. This might be seen as a narrow view of events, but in order to be considered "the best of all time" nowadays, I think that one has to have won the World Cup, and of course have played a big part in their team doing so - just like Messi has done, even though he hasn't been playing his best football. Anyone concur?
Messi is just one player FFS. Sick to death of hearing about him and the sycophantic willing for him to win. Can guarentee that Lineker and the BBC will spend as much time talking about what winning 'means for Messi' than about what it means for the other 21 players on the pitch combined.

Hope to see Germany lifting the trophy tonight
I want Messi to win a World Cup just to WUM C.Ronaldo tbfh :colondollar:
Original post by SinaPars
The reichstag will rüle ze final

But seriously, I'm predicting at least 3 goals by them, they're just a perfect team this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Germany are far from the perfect team. I do expect them to win tonight, but what will happen if the Germany who played against Ghana or Algeria turns up?
Reply 67
Original post by sr90
Just me who doesn't care about the whole Messi/Ronaldo debate? I don't see why people get so worked up over it.

i'm annoyed that it's even a debate. Messi far superior for me
It's the final i predicted from the start. I would brag about how Brazil were overrated and how i said they would not win 4 difficult knock out games, but then i didn't put money on it.

Germany were my pick which is why i took a solitary bet of £10 on them. So here's hoping they do it tonight. Seeing as I put £20 on Holland at 9/1 last world cup let's hope Argentina don't do the same this world cup to me. Also, on the basis of this world cup Argentina really don't deserve to lift it, whilst Germany have probably been the best side - despite being poor in a number of games themselves.
Original post by DH1'
i'm annoyed that it's even a debate. Messi far superior for me

And with that you have started the debate again :rofl:
Reply 70
So after Germany ****ed Brazil and Netherlands lost on penalties to Argentina, who will win tonight?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by Malevolent
And with that you have started the debate again :rofl:

Lol, i guess i have. My opinion is that the difference between Messi and Ronaldo is bigger than the difference between Ronaldo and 3rd place. And with that, i shall end this discussion :biggrin:
The brazilians will pretend that world cup 2014 didnt happen
I don't think winning the World Cup is a requisite to being the best ever. Messi is the best I've ever seen and I'm happy with that. I like Germany and I like Messi, so I don't really mind who wins tonight.
Reply 74
Original post by pane123
Germany are far from the perfect team. I do expect them to win tonight, but what will happen if the Germany who played against Ghana or Algeria turns up?

People should refrain from underestimating teams based on their name.
Original post by sr90

I agree, both amazing players but Messi is more exciting to watch. Still a Ronaldo fan though
My prediction:-

4- 0 to Germany.... Yep.
ITV or BBC? What is everyone choosing and why?

Anyone know who will be the commentators on both channels? I usually tend to go for BBC because of no adverts and because I personally prefer Gary Lineker over Adrian Chiles.
Reply 78
Draw after 90mins.

Germany will boss the ball and keep possession, Argentina will sit deep and look to counter attack. See Argentina scoring first and the Germans crumbling under pressure early on. Then Germany will get a goal.

1-1 draw after 90mins and Messi to get the winner in extra time to make it 2-1.
Original post by Gob Bluth
It's the final i predicted from the start. I would brag about how Brazil were overrated and how i said they would not win 4 difficult knock out games, but then i didn't put money on it.

Germany were my pick which is why i took a solitary bet of £10 on them. So here's hoping they do it tonight. Seeing as I put £20 on Holland at 9/1 last world cup let's hope Argentina don't do the same this world cup to me. Also, on the basis of this world cup Argentina really don't deserve to lift it, whilst Germany have probably been the best side - despite being poor in a number of games themselves.

You're quite beasty at predictions.

Weird thing is that 4 years ago after Argentina got knocked out I said they'll win the world cup. Changed it to Brazil and France to this tournament but I think I'll go back to my old prediction. Want Argentina to win it. But tbh the germans are heavy favourites imo.

Still predicting an Argentina win though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Zürich
Well I'm an Arsenal fan who think Messi gets hyped up and excused when he does fail by the cult surrounding him. :confused:

BBC have had a feature on Messi literally every time Argentina play, brainwashing people almost tbh

Messi has been Argentina's best player by quite a distance tbh. He's essentially created or scored nearly every one of Argentina's goals.

Messi has looked quite poor for majority of the tournament and has been stifled, ain't the same player he was at Barca in 2012, that was just a full on GOAT year. Guy getting braces almost every game.

Quick Reply

Latest