The Student Room Group

I have no idea what path to take

Hey guys. I'm at that point where I have no idea what to do other than making my head explode.

Background story:
Finished High School 13 months ago, missed around 2 and a half years due to various, legitimate reasons. Still managed to do a five GCSE's and an OCR vocational qualification in ICT.
I got my C's in English, Maths A and Science A. And two ICT certificates.

Throughout the last two years I actually managed in school, I always dismissed college due to the thought that I wasn't good enough, I didn't even entertain the idea of attending any open evenings. 13 months on I've been working as an apprentice in a vehicle body shop and it's been a year and I feel it's going nowhere.

Recently, I looked up A levels/Vocational courses and University courses for the first time and I spoke to a careers advisor person who basically explained how silly and naive I was back in high school, something I can't argue against and something I deeply regret.
College applications have long gone but with this persons help I can still apply after speaking to two local colleges, one being Runshaw.

But I have no idea what to do and it's starting to depress me.
Like I said, I missed a huge chunk of high school and the thought of studying at college scares me. I've always dreamed of going to Uni to study criminology and sociology or a course related to ICT but I've never really believed in myself or my abilities due to, what I thought were not so great GCSEs.

I've been offered a place for a Network and Security vocational course Level 3 which I believe can lead onto Uni?
I'm waiting to find out if I can study A levels this September seeing as i'm applying so late, or I can finish this apprenticeship and apply for A levels next year but that leaves me two years behind most people.

I know there's on thing I have going for me, I know how it feels to regret not putting in enough effort in GCSEs (Even if a large part of it was due to illness) and that's a mistake I know i'll never do again.
It's never too late. The social sciences are really worth studying at university. When you have A levels not one cares what you obtained for your GCSEs. If you get a degree no-one cares what you obtained at A level. Every new course is a fresh start. Don't worry if you do go to university a year or two late, believe me, it will help you in so many ways (academically and personally). Good luck ...
it's never too late.. i'm 21 now and in my first year of uni doing bioveterinary. I want to go onto veterinary after that. i'll be 23 when i apply for vet school and 28 when i qualify. Sometimes i think i wish id have sorted myself out earlier because id be in vet school now but now i 100% know what i want to do, i've not made a mistake in rushing and choosing!! Please don't worry yourself, we're young and learning!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending