The Student Room Group

Prom dresses?

I was looking at prom dresses and was just wondering where did people get their dresses from? How much did they spend on prom in general (including travel)? What they did for prom that kinda stuff
better plan early than late!
I spent around £100 on my dress and then £50 on transport. My dress came from an online store called victoriasdress.co.uk although I wouldn't recommend buying from them as I discovered after I ordered that the site was apparently dodgy . Luckily my dress was OK but I was a bit worried for a while! We arrived in a New York taxi cab, so that was pretty cool :smile:
When is your prom?
Reply 2
My prom has literally just past on 6th june 2014 , my mam spent around £450 maybe more on my prom , i got my dress from a bridal shop near me , it cost £280 but i had to pay £40 for alterations for it to fit me perfectly, it was a straight elegant dress and i got it VAT free as a deal from the shop, if you dont mind having old stock look around christmas time for this years stock , theyre generslly a fraction of the origional cost and youre less likely to have the same dress as someone else, the bridal shop i got my dress from done some technicl thing where nobody else could buy the same dress as me from that shop not even in another colour. For my shoes i ordered them online from amazon because this was the only place i could get the ones i wanted, they were silver glittery wedges with a bow on the strap , they werent too pricey at about £30, for jewelry a shop in town was closing down and i kind of got that last minute although i already had an expensive rin and knecklace so i wore them, my bag i got from debenhams in the sale so that was a bargain too, but it went well with my shoes, my mams friend was training to be a nail technician so she done my nails - they were absolutely fabulous , my spray tan i went to a local beauty salon and my hair i went to my mam's friend's hous ebecause she trained as a hair dresser and the hairstyle i had was a side french plait then all curled with gems stuck in and a clip (purchased at claires accessories) the gems i realised were in poundland but we had paid about £7 for the same thing in claires so look around first ! for transort i wen tin my nannas car because its fairly new and looks quite posh, my make u was done at mac cosmetics which was £30 but you get that money back to spend on their products so its practically free and that looked fabulous too ! i wouldnt say you really need to do things expensivly i had an amazing time and you dont really car ewhen youre there to be honest , i spilt gravy on my dress and that was awkward ! bit i still enjoyed it all the same , i hope this helps:smile:
Original post by Meggggg10
I was looking at prom dresses and was just wondering where did people get their dresses from? How much did they spend on prom in general (including travel)? What they did for prom that kinda stuff

Dress - £40
Shoes/Accessories/Clutch - around £40
Transport - free, friends mum gave me a lift

Also spent money on getting my nails done and drinks at prom.

I think I managed to spend under £100 in total :smile:

Edit: This was for my year 13 prom. I didn't want to spend a lot of money since I went all out for my year 11 prom and it was kind of pointless wasting so much money.
(edited 9 years ago)
Got my prom dress from Dorothy Perkins (£18), shoes from M&S (£25) and a clutch bag from Debenhams (£18). The transport was free due to a friend of a friend being a multimillionaire with tonnes of cars. I had a meal with my friends for £10.96. So...a grand total of £71.96! I take pride in knowing that that was less than the price many girls paid for their dresses alone. :wink:
well for my prom i'm literally doing everything under £75 (not including ticket)

dress- £20
shoes- £15
transport- free, going with a group using their transport
jewellery- £20? maybe
make-up and nails- paying for nails then d.i.y haha
Dress- £30 (found it much cheaper after looking around for a while)
Ticket- £35 though I only paid £15 for it
Shoes- didn't bother, I wore a pair of heels I already had though I took them off within five minutes
Transport- £35, there was a group of us that hired a limo for an hour's drive around town
Hair and make up- my friend's sister did it for me
Accessories- £12
Reply 7
Original post by milliethemoo
I spent around £100 on my dress and then £50 on transport. My dress came from an online store called victoriasdress.co.uk although I wouldn't recommend buying from them as I discovered after I ordered that the site was apparently dodgy . Luckily my dress was OK but I was a bit worried for a while! We arrived in a New York taxi cab, so that was pretty cool :smile:
When is your prom?

Well, i got my prom dress online called dressesmallau.com, it costs $154.
WARNING: Make an order 20 days more before your prom to leave enough time to process the custom made dress, the rush order may not complete in time . After establishing a need by date with my order, I have been advised I will not receive it by that date and I have been told to wait patiently. No sincerity in any correspondence to make the situation worse. All I can say is this dress better be worth it.
just forgot to show you the model of the dress
(edited 9 years ago)
Dress( a blue baby doll dress) - £96
Shoes/Accessories - around £65
Transport - free
Hair and make up- my sister did it for me
Reply 9
I paid £89 for my dress which was quite rare back then but is now fashionable - embellished style. And £20 for my clutch, both from miss selfridge.

I then bought my heels from office for £70, paid £30 for my nails and makeup and a tenner towards a BMW car to take us up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My mum got my dress for me after trying on like 10 in Lipsy I just couldn't find one I liked so my mum got one for me and it was quite a bargain, about £40 considering I was gonna spend like £200. Got my shoes from Kurt Geiger they was on sale at about £90 I think, my bag and jewellery from New Look can't remember exactly but I think about £25, then a local salon had a deal for £65 for spray tan, acrylics, hair & makeup which I think is an absolute bargain considering I normally pay about £25 just for nails & £30 for makeup! & My friends granddad worked for some company with all 'vintage' cars so that was free :smile: prom was so over-rated though in my opinion, i wish I hadn't bothered ha
I got a dress from Asos at £55 a clutch from Primarni (also known as Primark) for £8 and shoes from Primark for £12 and I just painted my nails myself and I don't usually wear make up so I just got my friend to put a minimum amount on me. We got there in a Mercedes which was my friends car and was free and the actual tickets were £32 so I spent around £107.
If you want to see what I wore in pictures you can take a glance at my blog (I know I have no shame but a girl has got to promote)

http://thesciencesoffashion.blogspot.co.uk/
With embellishments now adorning everything from tees to shoes, it's no wonder that SPARKLE is a huge trend for prom dresses and junior special occasions. Even if your everyday style is more casual or classic, make prom your night to shine! Can't decide between a cute short dress or a long formal gown? Go with a HIGH-LOW dress and add a fabulous pair of shoes to complete the look. We know everyone's fave part of any high school dance is the dance floor! SOFT, flowing prom dresses are flattering and comfortable for dancing the night away.
Dress: £70, Quiz
Shoes: £20, New Look
Accessories: I bought a £5ish bag from Peacocks and a pair of £3 earrings from Dorothy Perkins
Hair: About £25
Makeup: Free - did it myself
Transport: Free - my friend took us in her dad's vintage car

All in all it cost about £125. This was for a year 11 prom, I'm not planning to spend as much in year 13 :redface:
I got my dress from DylanQueen - and I absolutely loved it!
It got me £120 (on sale from £400).

I did my hair and makeup myself for senior prom (did the whole thing properly back in Yr 11). We didn't have any fancy transport either - just went round to friends house for drinks before hand, then gave each other lifts.
Are u still looking for the prom dresses?Maybe you can visit here:cheapdressesprom.com
Almost all the dresses are in available at big discount,it's also free shipping.

[h="1"]
Original post by Meggggg10
I was looking at prom dresses and was just wondering where did people get their dresses from? How much did they spend on prom in general (including travel)? WhaYout they did for prom that kinda stuff

you could have a look from formaldressau.com

Quick Reply

Latest