The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 1
WHATS WRONG WITH KCH!! I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION! (is it really that far away from Guys?)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Uh huh, it is pretty far away and I wanna cook
Reply 3
by quite far away, does that mean unwalkable? and why you want to cook? youll have plenty of opportunity for that when you get private accom! are you gonna mediking it by the way? and i prob would swap if i get gds or ssa, but i think as i put kch first choice, then thats prob what ill get by the general consensus! oh dear.
Reply 4
Happy Elmo
Got my letter today and I've been allocated Kings College Hall! Anyone wanting to swap with me for GDS or SSA?? KCL is way too far from Guys campus and I really want self-catered!

i wouldn't swap, but i have to say king's college hall isn't that far away from central london. it is one short bus ride, so isn't so bad.
good luck!
Reply 5
hey, it doesnt matter. It looks like KCH is a pretty good deal. Food, no cleaning, no food shopping. Yes, I am mediking. but 15 mins isnt too bad!!
Reply 6
Happy Elmo
hey, it doesnt matter. It looks like KCH is a pretty good deal. Food, no cleaning, no food shopping. Yes, I am mediking. but 15 mins isnt too bad!!

glad you are feeling a bit better about it now.
Reply 7
I'll see waht accom i get and tell you if you still wanna swap
Here you go guys... i've copied and pasted my post about KCH across from the other thread. :smile:

SammmJ
Ok, im getting a little worried now, whats so wrong with king's college hall? i applied there as my first choice, have i made a boo-boo? i did want catered, and it seemed the most logical choice (other than it being quite far away from the guys campus). also yeah, not heard anything about accom. yet if anyones interested.

KCH is cool, I was there in the first year. When you arrive make sure you ask for a room in "Plats", the nicest building. KCH has by far the best social life out of any of the King's accommodation, simply because of the amenities. The common room, bar, snooker & pool, squash, table tennis and the very nature of catered accommodation makes it very easy to make friends - rather than being "restricted" to those in the immediate vacinity of your room.

It's not as nice internally as some of the other places, being old and all but if you put the effort in you will enjoy it a lot. There's a reason why KCH doesn't have trouble finding senior students to live there. There's a nice 24 hour Sainsbury's just around the corner and Dulwich is pretty cool in general.

Denmark Hill train station to Blackfriars takes just under 15 minutes, and you can walk down the Victoria Embankment towards the Strand campus. Overall travelling time to the Strand is about 30 minutes if you take the train, or about 40 minutes on the bus (including the walk to the bus stop... the Walworth Road is notoriously slow and bad for traffic...)

One thing to note, it is in Camberwell and whilst you get the more salubrious areas (Camberwell Grove) there are also council estates dotted around. Like all over London, just be wise and don't walk around at 2am playing with your new phone changing tracks on your iPod video. :smile:

If you want to know anything else just ask.

Hall parties at KCH are pretty legendary, and generally go on until around the early hours... they usually have some kind of a fun theme too. :tongue:

Here's a great facebook group for KCH peeps - http://kcl.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2203082393

Things you should know before moving into KCH:...

Everyone who lived in Danehurst was shown into their room on their first day and swore/cried/went immediately to find the bar.

Everyone who did not live in Danehurst wished they had.

When you meet everyone at first you will immediately forget everyone's names. This doesn't matter - noone has any idea who you are either.

The balcony which they open up for you on the first day will be closed until the office finally realises that not many students have the desire to jump off.

One of your favourite past-times will be to see how many pieces of cheese you can take in one go

You will honour and respect the person who manages to get an apple AND dessert

Those who make breakfast on weekends aren't really the type of people you want to associate with

Lunch on Sundays is the best and worst meal you will have all week

Noone worries about what you look like the morning after a Halls party...there is always someone who looks ****tier than you

Even though you know all of their names, you will always refer to them by their nationality e.g. The Americans, The French

You will do NO work, there is always something better to do than sit in your room:
- go to the bar
- go to someone else's room
- go to the common room
- go play pingpong
- go play outside in the snow/sun/leaves
- bounce a ball against your ceiling until the person above you freaks out
- tidy your room (believe me, you will do it!)
- watch a DVD, any DVD
- go out to some random club because a friend's brother's friend's cousin can get you on the guestlist

If someone tells you it's "Fish and Chips Friday", your face lights up

The "Mixed Grill" is essentially breakfast heated up

If in doubt, the kitchen staff will always add beans and call it chilli

There will be at least a 20 minute debate on whether a grape is a legitimate part of a salad

It is possible to spend 2 hours at dinner - procrastination is your best friend

The current record for orange juices stands at 7 - you will make it your life's mission to beat that

It is almost certain that someone will have *ahem* "private time" in your favourite shower

You will have a favourite shower. e.g. the one that has two closing doors and a steady stream of water

You will try to be modest at first and take all your clothes to the shower but will inevitably end up stalking the corridors in your towel...praying that you left your door off the latch

The Fox will become one of your favourite places on earth.

The chocolate fudge cake is the reason for the above point.

You will dress up like a tit at some point during the year.

Any national holiday or celebration is an excuse to get drunk and dress up like the aforementioned tit.

Halls Parties will become stuff of legend.

You will realise why KCH was built 5 minutes from a hospital when you attend these parties.

Everyone always starts off drinking alcopops...then it's all downhill from there

There will be at least one corridor in halls which you will walk through and immediately get high

Senior Students do little to no work...don't confuse them with counsellors or night-wardens

Latest