The Student Room Group

Do universities look down upon World Development???

Hi,

I am going into sixth form next year and hope to study Maths(Mechanics), Chemistry, Physics and World Development as my fourth subject.

I enjoy them all but was wondering if WD is looked down upon as some people have said...I just want a 4th subject i can easily drop for the next year and i don't mind doing WD because i find it interesting but not sure if its the best option??

Thanks
Reply 1
It obviously differs between different unis, but I think most of them value it as a full qualification. It's not as big an issue as General Studies is, where nearly all universities ignore this.
P.S. Watch out for Chemistry: it's an interesting course (certainly mine was with AQA) but it's tough.
Reply 2
Yeah thanks ive heard chemistry is tough but tough as in what??? difficult concepts? a lot of work?? I probably will know once i start i guess...so should i start ahead in the summer perhaps??
Reply 3
Tough as in remembering everything! I personally have a photographic memory but that didn't help me with chemistry. An extent of it builds on what you learnt in GCSE obviously, such as alkanes and alkenes, but most of it is new. So in that sense there's not much preparation you can do over the summer, other than literally reading the specification and researching stuff on that
Reply 4
Ahh right okay thank you very much!
Hello,

Do you know which university that you would like to go to? :smile:

I have not heard of World Development before. I would be very cautious in taking this subject unless you are 100% sure that the university that you would like to go to accepts this subject. I have heard about a few people that have taken the wrong subject and then regretted it.

Do you like Biology?

It could be a different possibility. :smile:
Reply 6
No problem! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
World Development?! Wow they're getting more creative with these A-levels...

On a more serious note, it'd be preferable to do a more traditional subject that covers development. Economics and geography are the best fit in that respect. Any decent university's admissions tutor will probably look at "World development" with a quizzical expression... and it's these small things and impressions that can matter a lot I'm afraid
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
World development is a very interesting topic. You cover it in Geography, but yeah development was the best side of the A2 course.
Reply 9
Yeah i just wanted something to separate the sciences and maths which was a bit different because i only intend to do World Development for the first year anyway but since its a relatively new topic i thought unis not consider it to be a 'good' enough subject....do they still take the 4th subject that gets dropped after the first year into a lot of consideration though or just the 3 full a levels?

And thankyou all so much!!!!
Original post by JhusJane
Yeah i just wanted something to separate the sciences and maths which was a bit different because i only intend to do World Development for the first year anyway but since its a relatively new topic i thought unis not consider it to be a 'good' enough subject....do they still take the 4th subject that gets dropped after the first year into a lot of consideration though or just the 3 full a levels?

And thankyou all so much!!!!

Be wary of being the guinea pig in a new subject. I know somebody has to be, but I'd suggest it shouldn't be you! I've been teaching for 30 years and I haven't heard of World Development either, and I'm willing to bet that will go for quite a few admissions tutors as well. If you are wanting to play it safe, do geography. The fourth AS doesn't usually carry much weight, but even so, it can be the clincher between two equally qualified candidates and I wouldn't give them any excuse to choose the other one.
Reply 11
Yeah thank you very much,

its also just that i've heard a lot from several others that my combination of maths(m), physics and chemistry is very hard and i am certainly prepared to work hard in them as i do really enjoy them...but since i need 4 AS i thought one like WD could tone it down...geography might be a lot of work too i dunno???
Original post by JhusJane
Yeah thank you very much,

its also just that i've heard a lot from several others that my combination of maths(m), physics and chemistry is very hard and i am certainly prepared to work hard in them as i do really enjoy them...but since i need 4 AS i thought one like WD could tone it down...geography might be a lot of work too i dunno???

All AS subjects are hard work.
Reply 13
If I were you I'd probably pick a subject that's more widely recognised but I don't reckon you'll be at a huge disadvantage taking World Development if you're going to drop it in the 2nd year anyway.
The only place I've ever heard of World Development is on the Accepted A-level list for Sheffield University. (click) This list also incorporates 'Accounting' and 'Law' though, so I wouldn't assume this is mainstream practice.

Best to play it safe with Geography, Economics or Politics. :smile:
Reply 15
Ahhh okay thank you very much guys!

Quick Reply

Latest