The Student Room Group

Have you kept in touch with old friends?

Anyone who is already at university, how many, if any, of your friends from sixth form are you still in touch with, and would you say you get on with them as well as you did in sixth form?
I started uni in September and I had four "close" friends (all from sixth form). One of them I still talk to pretty much every day, one I see when I come home but we don't stay in touch whilst away at uni and the other two I talk to but I haven't actually seen them since last summer :tongue:
With us going away just meant we didn't talk much and grew apart because we "changed", which sucks, but it can happen. That said, some people stay friends with everyone back home, so it depends! :smile:
I had a little gang of about 8, to which I introduced my boyfriend (also at our sixth form). However, I'm the sort of person that doesn't get that attached and moves on quite quickly, I only had a good connection with maybe 2 of those friends, and there were a couple of them I didn't especially like!

I have remained friends with the one I was closest to. I really value her though, she is a very unique and cool friend - I want to keep her! We've drifted a little actually and I'd like to get closer. I have remained with my boyfriend. There is another I briefly reconnected with and would like to be good friends, but unfortunately it is v difficult as she left the country and we are both very busy.

The others I have some fb contact with, and met with for a couple of years, but tbh have not seen in around 3 years now. I could hardly say what they were doing if I didn't follow them on fb. Maybe 2 of them I could reconnect with if I wanted quite easily, as we used to get along well, but there hasn't been a reason.

When you go to uni you make new friends and the need for your old ones diminishes. You may find that you truly value and click with only a small number of the friends you make at every stage, and these you remain close with. Others, are friendships of convenience, but that doesn't make them worthless. Even when you go separate ways, they don't just disappear but remain part of your network, and maybe if you come into contact with them later, you will reconnect and "resume" the friendship.
I graduated from Uni 5 years ago and I still talk to 2 of my sixth form friends and meet up when we can.

Drifted apart from many others but that's life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending