The Student Room Group

Work experience in Y11 Holidays?

Hi, I'm really not busy this Summer apart from a part-time job at an opticians that I have currently and I've recently been wanting to fill my time with valuable work experience. I know that gaining work experience for medicine is usually quite hard (especially work experience in a hospital) so will anybody be willing to give me advice on how to go about it and whether I can do anything in this long holiday?

Also, my brother is also a medical student but is graduating next year so hopefully I'll be able to stay with him and get work experience in his hospital next Summer...but I would really like to get involved in something this year! Please just point me in the right direction or give me some advice on how to get started.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
I think you should go around and visit some pharmacys, maybe health centres and let them know that you are available and if they ever need you they can contact you. I suggest you take your CV and a personal statement xx
You could try volunteering at one of the british heart foundation charity shops.

Oh and for more experience for when it comes to writing your personal statement for uni you could apply to do a first aid course with the red cross. They can cost a lot though so you might need your parents to pay for you. I think anyone over the age of 16 can do them though, but you might want to check first.
Original post by imania14
I think you should go around and visit some pharmacys, maybe health centres and let them know that you are available and if they ever need you they can contact you. I suggest you take your CV and a personal statement xx

Oh, okay! So for medicine will work experience in pharmacies be relevant? I'll definitely try GPs and hopefully nursing homes(?). First thing I have to do will be having to write my CV up properly then :rolleyes:

Any advice for charity volunteering or anything? x
Reply 4
Most hospitals allow it. I know my local one does, although it's quite hard to get in. Try pharmacies, working with ill children/people etc
Original post by Runescapian
You could try volunteering at one of the british heart foundation charity shops.

Oh and for more experience for when it comes to writing your personal statement for uni you could apply to do a first aid course with the red cross. They can cost a lot though so you might need your parents to pay for you. I think anyone over the age of 16 can do them though, but you might want to check first.

I was thinking about the British Heart Foundation a lot, there's one I know of quite close. Thanks! Should I email them about this?
Reply 6
Many charities allow it too. I am currently on the hunt and have been accepted by St Johns Ambulance and the NSPCC
Original post by Shmxsz
Most hospitals allow it. I know my local one does, although it's quite hard to get in. Try pharmacies, working with ill children/people etc

Hmm I'll have to check my local hospital to see if they even do volunteering then
Original post by Shmxsz
Many charities allow it too. I am currently on the hunt and have been accepted by St Johns Ambulance and the NSPCC

Oh wow! Did you email them first? I'm just not quite sure about how to ask..
Reply 9
Original post by ToLiveInADream
Oh wow! Did you email them first? I'm just not quite sure about how to ask..

There are application forms online. Basically I had to search for loads of charities and find the volunteering tab and sent my details. Most are restricted to eighteen years old so it was hard finding some as I am only 15. But then I got a response from them two and also a few more about one off bucket collection and charity shop volunteering etc. They sent more detailed application forms by email and I just need to fill them up and send them off! I'm looking to do this over the summer so it helps for a good cause but also looks good on my CV in the future
Original post by Shmxsz
There are application forms online. Basically I had to search for loads of charities and find the volunteering tab and sent my details. Most are restricted to eighteen years old so it was hard finding some as I am only 15. But then I got a response from them two and also a few more about one off bucket collection and charity shop volunteering etc. They sent more detailed application forms by email and I just need to fill them up and send them off! I'm looking to do this over the summer so it helps for a good cause but also looks good on my CV in the future

Haha, I'm 15 too! I'm turning 16 in August though so hopefully it'll get easier to find work experience. Thank you so much for the help, do you mind if I PM (private message) you if I get stuck?
Reply 11
Original post by ToLiveInADream
Haha, I'm 15 too! I'm turning 16 in August though so hopefully it'll get easier to find work experience. Thank you so much for the help, do you mind if I PM (private message) you if I get stuck?

Lol I turn 16 in May! You're welcome, and yes sure!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending