The Student Room Group

Dropping out of university

I have just completed (and passed) my first year at Cardiff University studying Business Management. Unfortunately I haven't enjoyed my course. In the future I wish to have a career in events management. Was just wondering whether anybody knows any good unis which do courses for this? Or if anyone has managed to get into any job roles without a degree.

It is also worth saying that I have already signed a contract for a house in Cardiff next year, I know Cardiff Met do this course so I could maybe try and get in there… But not sure whether the course at that uni is good or anything? any advice or knowledge on the topic of dropping out would be very useful!
Reply 1
There is nothing about a business degree that stops you learning things relevant to events management and if you turned up to a job interview trying to convince me otherwise you would be on to a hiding to nothing.

It sounds to me as though you found too much of the first year study too academically challenging.

If you want to drop out fine .. better do that now and go get work experience and cash than incur debt "studying".

Id have thought you could study anything and fail and still show an employer you were a serious contender for an event management post because you ran a university society or the student union etc instead of attending lectures ....Some wet sop with a pile of excuses about finding Economics or Sociology modules in first year of a business degree uninteresting etc would be laughed on to the reject pile !
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fayarnison
I have just completed (and passed) my first year at Cardiff University studying Business Management. Unfortunately I haven't enjoyed my course. In the future I wish to have a career in events management. Was just wondering whether anybody knows any good unis which do courses for this? Or if anyone has managed to get into any job roles without a degree.

It is also worth saying that I have already signed a contract for a house in Cardiff next year, I know Cardiff Met do this course so I could maybe try and get in there… But not sure whether the course at that uni is good or anything? any advice or knowledge on the topic of dropping out would be very useful!

Have you got a tutor at uni you can talk to? They're usually fantastic and have met students wishing to do exactly what you want to. Might be a good place to start :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Baldness
I am an employer and I find your reason as expressed here, pathetic.

There is nothing about a business degree that stops you learning things relevant to events management and if you turned up to a job interview trying to convince me otherwise you would be on to a hiding to nothing.

It sounds to me as though you found too much of the first year study too academically challenging.

If you want to drop out fine .. better do that now and go get work experience and cash than incur debt "studying".

Id have thought you could study anything and fail and still show an employer you were a serious contender for an event management post because you ran a university society or the student union etc instead of attending lectures ....Some wet sop with a pile of excuses about finding Economics or Sociology modules in first year of a business degree uninteresting etc would be laughed on to the reject pile !

It's lucky that nobody actually cares what you think. Or at least, they only care when they have to (i.e. when they're so desperate that they want to work for you).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending